“Very comfortable stay at the Marriott”

Tysons Corner Marriott
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
NC
“Very comfortable stay at the Marriott”
Reviewed March 12, 2007

My daughter and I stayed here recently for a cheerleading competition. We had stayed here last year and enjoyed it and this year it was even better! They seem to have done some remodeling, and the lobby and resturant were completely redone. The rooms were the same with very comfortable beds and fluffy and soft bedding. The bathroom was clean and functional. Location is excellent for access to shopping and dining, although the median does make it tricky to find the entrance to the hotel. If you're not familiar with the area, it might be frustrating. Even though I've stayed here before, I made a mistake twice missing the entrance. You have to go far up the turnpike to find a place where it is legal to make a u-turn and come back.
The front desk was courteous and helpful. I was on the conscierge floor, although I have no idea if there were any benefits to this - I did not see coffee or other drinks available as I have at other hotels with conscierge floors. No one explained the significance (if any) to us.
The only negative that comes to mind is the service at breakfast. The first morning we were shown to a table, only to learn from people siiting nearby that the table was in fact occupied. We were told to just pick any other table, which we did, but when we got up to get food at the (EXTREMELY SLOW) buffet, another family had taken our table. We stood around with trays of food in our hands for quite a while before we found another table. Our repeated requests for juice and tea were completely ignored. We finally gave up and bought tea at the gift shop. The next day we were seated and served promptly, but we were handed bills on four occasions for our complimentary meal. The waitstaff seem to have limited understading of English, so maybe it was just a communication problem.
All in all a good stay - maybe we'll bring bagels with us next time!

• Liked — Bed and bedding
  • Disliked — Slow waitstaff at breakfast
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank vanillabeanHB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed October 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Tyson's Corner Marriott this past weekend. They are doing some remodeling in the lobby, but it was not a problem for us. The rooms are nice and clean, but a little on the small size. The bed was very comfortable. Each night they had a wine tasting in the lobby along with snacks. Nice touch! It is in a convenient location, near 2 large malls and tons of restaurants.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luvmytrips
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 27, 2006

My husband had business in DC and I came along with our 3 month old baby. We don't usually stay at Marriotts, but the reviews of this one, along with the negative reviews for the Ritz Tyson's Corner, convinced us to give it a try. Looking back, I wish we hadn't!

If you decide to stay here, make sure you get good directions from the hotel first . . . it's a little tricky getting into the parking lot depending which way you are coming from. We ended up getting dumped back on the Dulles Toll Road and had to make a few attempts to finally get there, even though we could see the hotel all three times. (Maybe we could partially blame our dumb GPS system.) Parking was ample and free, but I didn't see a valet.

Once we got there, they didn't have the room that we reserved on the hotel website - a non-smoking king. If you go on the website, it says that your bed size and smoking choices can be guaranteed, so I assumed I'd get what I signed up for. Nope. We got there and were sent to a smoking room, so had to traipse back down to the lobby with all our stuff and a hungry baby to tell them that wasn't going to work. So we ended up with a room with two double beds. If my husband wasn't 6'4", or we liked to sleep in separate beds, that would have been fine, but neither of those are true, so it was a problem for us. The ladies at the front desk were trying to be nice, but refused to understand how I could be upset that I didn't get the room their website told me I'd get - they told me that the website doesn't know their inventory so it doesn't matter what the website says. As though I am supposed to know this . . . maybe someone needs to update the website. I'd say make sure you call the hotel to confirm that your choices are guaranteed, if that's important to you.

The room itself was alright. The previous reviewers who said the rooms are spacious must be used to NYC hotel rooms or something, because to me they seemed tiny. Marriott says they are 320 SF. We had to continually step over our luggage (3 days' worth) to get from one side to the other.

It was pretty clean. Not the cleanest I have seen, but pretty good. The bathroom was small - a shower/tub combo, toilet and small (granite or marble) countertop with sink. It was serviceable but don't expect luxury. The toiletries were from the Body Shop (or Bath & Body works, I forget.) I did love the full size hair dryer - you hardly ever see that.

The room needed a little updating - there was a hole in the wall in ours. There is a charge for internet use (wireless in the lobby only, and also a business center where we paid $6 for 20 minutes.) My husband used the dry cleaning service and it was done well and on time. He also arranged for a car to take him into DC through the front desk, and it arrived on time as well. ($40.)

The beds . . . well, they were a bit disappointing. They have the something or other bed - revival, maybe? It's supposed to be like the Westin's heavenly bed, but it's a poor imitation. Just sitting on it to watch TV was great, but sleeping on it wasn't. The pillows were tiny and flimsy and the mattress was way too soft - my back was killing me each morning when I woke up.

We didn't eat at the restaurants as Shula's was closed for remodeling, but we did order breakfast. It arrived on time but the food was not very good.

When I checked out, I noticed that they had charged me for breakfast even though they told me it was free, and the checkout on the TV screen didn't work.

The one bright thing about this hotel is the proximity to Tyson's Corner Center. The mall has just about everything you could ask for. Tyson's Galleria is a little farther away - about a 5 minute drive - but has some decent restaurants.

I think next time we go, we'll try the Ritz.

• Liked — Proximity to Tysons
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mrswh
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed May 24, 2006

We stayed for four nights with our toddler twins in a deluxe room (1 king bed) when we traveled cross-country to see our friends' wedding.

The staff was very courteous and the room was spacious enough for the small refrigerator and two small Graco cribs we asked them to provide for us.

Most people probably stay there due to its proximity to the shopping center and local businesses. But for families it is also worth noting that there is a nice residential area a couple of miles to the south with local parks and convenience stores, etc.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank TripsWithTwinsDad
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 5, 2006

I needed a hotel for an overnight stay in DC before leaving for Europe the following day. I wanted something close to Dulles, but not the Dulles Marriott which is the middle of nothing.

My inbound flight was delayed and I arrived in Dulles at 11 p.m. By the time I picked up the rental car and arrived at the hotel, it was past midnight and no room service was being offered. Per my friend who lives in DC, it was one of the coldest nights of the year (12F) and after dropping off my bags in the room, had to drive to a nearby 24 hour McDonalds to get food. The hotel is not necessarily an airport hotel, but it's close enough to Dulles to get lots of Dulles traffic and thus, 24 hour room service should be offered, especially as the airport restaurant is a Shulas and I couldn't stop thinking of a nice, juicy steak.

Other than that, it was an above average Marriott. Large and clean room, many cable channels, friendly staff, etc. I did have a continental breakfast the following morning and the items were all fresh and delicious. As mentioned previously, it's not an airport hotel, but you can easily reach it in a 10 minute drive from Dulles. As it's within walking distance of a huge mall, it would certainly be a great option for a long layover.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank islington3164
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 8, 2006

If you want the best breakfast in town just try the Tysons Corner Marriott in Vienna VA.

Stayed February 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Georgia
Reviewed September 11, 2005

We checked into the this hotel, and a room was not ready. We waited for 30 minutes, then got our room. It was supposed to be non-smoking, but someone had obviously been lighting it up recently in that room and the room spray cover-up chemicals were overwhelming. We were asked to wait back in the lobby for a different room. That took another thirty minutes. This time we were sent to the Concierge floor, the room was okay, just average. But no concierge-level service offered the days we were there. The hotel could use a little up-dating with the decor, too.

• Stayed July 2005
Hilton McLean Tysons Corner
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
#2 of 14 in Tysons Corner

Been to Tysons Corner Marriott? Share your experiences!