“No free wi-fi”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Westlake
“No free wi-fi”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Switched to this hotel because a mix up that was Expedia.com's fault. To find an expensively decorated very old hotel. No free wifi! No free parking. No free breakfast. Weird pool hours. No microwave in tiny little room. REALLY!!!! this is why I decided to stay in the suburbs and take the metro in to dc. 12.95 for wifi-!!!!!! I have always been partial to Hilton chain hotels. Now I will be strictly Hilton. This is nonsense.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was here to attend a Reunion last May, the location was convenient since there was the Tyson's Corner mall across the street and free shuttle was provided by this hotel. The room was small but comfortable. One negative side in staying here--- no free WiFi:(

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The Marriott at Tyson's Corner is a good business-class hotel. Be aware if you're going into DC proper, it's a long Metro ride away. The hotel isn't convenient to the Metro, but they do have a shuttle. There's a mall within walking distance, but you may not want to walk it because this area of Virginia is crazy with traffic.
The fitness center is roomy with modern equipment, but is kept too warm for my tastes. Nice gold+ level lounge. Reasonable size pool; I actually use it for swimming laps on occasion. Appears to be about 40 or 45 feet long.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Realcatena
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Of all hotel brands I avoid the Marriott. I have found it to be focused on the male business traveler--only.

I was in this hotel during the east coast storm of June 2012. This hotel lost power, with no back up power either, for over 48 hours with 104• temperatures outside and +10 degrees inside. The smell of the rotting food was overwhelming. The maids were cleaning the bathrooms with glow sticks. No airconditioning or hot water. The staff had no clear leader and did not have updates available, just continued to say "any minute now the power will be on". Tick Tock 48 hours later I had to leave. I just couldn't handle it.

I am a Marriott rewards member and I was not offered a discount or compensation of any kind. Not even an apology.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Letty D
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Slightly above average Marriott property located near McLean, VA and Tysons Corner, VA with easy access on/off Rte. 495. This particular has a newly renovated lobby - unfortunately, the rooms and accompanying bathrooms are relatively small when compared to similar Marriott's.

The check-in staff was very helpful and affable. My room required a maintenance request and the staff who assisted me was very efficient.

In total, I would rank this this property as slightly above average.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tooele, Utah
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Being nice, the pros: The place is spiffy clean. Room temperature controls are responsive and quickly adjust temperature. The TV flat-screen is huge enough to make me happy (40" or so?) I got a room at the end of the hall, so it's really quiet down here. The office desk provided in the room is nice and big and the office chair is very comfy. the room stores a seemingly adequate and large room safe that's easy to use and holds all my valuables - above the mini-fridge and behind the same broken door mentioned below. An iron, hair dryer, one-cup coffee maker (good coffee, enough for 2 cups each of regular or decaff or tea).

The in-betweens - The king-size bed is, "Meh!" I KNOW Marriott can do better because the bed I had in their Crystal City (DC area) place was heaven! This one is hard as a rock, so it's not going to please most people (I'm not that picky and can sleep anywhere). I'm too busy to use the pool or workout rooms, so no comment there. I didn't use the phone except to call the front desk about Internet, and stay on hold with tech support. The landline phone sports an 18 inch hard wired cord, so be prepared to kiss the phone when you talk into the handset, but who uses a phone anyway?

The negatives: I NEED Internet to function- business reasons after work . ... at a cost of $12.95/night. ... and it doesn't work. Their network cable is shorted out, I figured that out on my own after an hour on the phone with tech support and that came after 15 minutes wait time to take the call. I finally gave up and tethered my cell phone (adequate 4G speeds that got me through a video conference for 2 hours - KUDOS to that one cell phone company that allows TRULY unlimited, non-throttled data transfers to get me through in a pinch). Later I got the wireless to work: 2.86 MB download and 2.77 MB upload - I needed a more secure cat 5 hard wire, but guess that's not an option around here. ( Okay, the upload speed is impressive, but Internet isn't about UPLOAD speed!) $12.95/day for 2.86 MB/sec download - Isn't that akin to false advertising on the Internet speed? Gimme a break! I have 18MB at home for $39/mo! (High speed starts at 6MB/s download IMO.) The door on the TV cabinet houses a mini fridge, that full ON barely keeps stuff cool and in no way, cold. The cabinet door is broken off the hinges. There is no microwave. The ICE COLD shower this morning was NOT TOO Cool - THANKS! NOT! (I did not take a shower during "rush hour"). The room is WAY WAY small (Maybe 150 sq. ft?) Scoot the office chair back and it bumps the bed and no walk space. barely enough room to set up an ironing board. Closet is TINY and even though I packed only for a few days, my stuff BARELY fits in the closet. For one person who just needs a desk and a bed, adequate. Oh, did I forget to mention $6/day parking on top of the $12.95/day Internet-non-service? PAY for EVERYTHING, no comps to speak of. This is on a per diem, basis so it's not like I'm getting this room at rock bottom price here for this stay - you'd think for the price they'd cut some of the fees out of the bill, no?

Let's put it this way, It's as nice as a really nice Acor Motel 6 or nice Econolodge with indoor access to your room, the same level of security for the parking lot, just as helpful of staff, same complimentary coffee available , but you have to pay for parking and Internet here, where if available, the others would offer that for free AND charge about 60% less per night. Well, maybe at Motel 6 or Econolodge you won't get an ironing board or 40" flat screen TV, but is that really worth the extra cost?

NOT Marriott's fault, but you need to consider this as well: Just TRY to get down the street during rush hour traffic. I'm visiting a location 3/4 mile away and during PM rush hour, it takes me almost 30 minutes to get back to the hotel and 10 minutes in the AM (Leesburg Pike), not to mention the road construction in the area making it very difficult to get to and back from food establishments in the area.

Room Tip: Get something at the end of the hallway for a quiet night's sleep! Rooms are TOO SMALL for more...