“A good business hotel”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Hartford, Connecticut
“A good business hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

The Marriott at Tyson's Corner is a good business-class hotel. Be aware if you're going into DC proper, it's a long Metro ride away. The hotel isn't convenient to the Metro, but they do have a shuttle. There's a mall within walking distance, but you may not want to walk it because this area of Virginia is crazy with traffic.
The fitness center is roomy with modern equipment, but is kept too warm for my tastes. Nice gold+ level lounge. Reasonable size pool; I actually use it for swimming laps on occasion. Appears to be about 40 or 45 feet long.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Realcatena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Of all hotel brands I avoid the Marriott. I have found it to be focused on the male business traveler--only.

I was in this hotel during the east coast storm of June 2012. This hotel lost power, with no back up power either, for over 48 hours with 104• temperatures outside and +10 degrees inside. The smell of the rotting food was overwhelming. The maids were cleaning the bathrooms with glow sticks. No airconditioning or hot water. The staff had no clear leader and did not have updates available, just continued to say "any minute now the power will be on". Tick Tock 48 hours later I had to leave. I just couldn't handle it.

I am a Marriott rewards member and I was not offered a discount or compensation of any kind. Not even an apology.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Letty D
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

Slightly above average Marriott property located near McLean, VA and Tysons Corner, VA with easy access on/off Rte. 495. This particular has a newly renovated lobby - unfortunately, the rooms and accompanying bathrooms are relatively small when compared to similar Marriott's.

The check-in staff was very helpful and affable. My room required a maintenance request and the staff who assisted me was very efficient.

In total, I would rank this this property as slightly above average.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tooele, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Being nice, the pros: The place is spiffy clean. Room temperature controls are responsive and quickly adjust temperature. The TV flat-screen is huge enough to make me happy (40" or so?) I got a room at the end of the hall, so it's really quiet down here. The office desk provided in the room is nice and big and the office chair is very comfy. the room stores a seemingly adequate and large room safe that's easy to use and holds all my valuables - above the mini-fridge and behind the same broken door mentioned below. An iron, hair dryer, one-cup coffee maker (good coffee, enough for 2 cups each of regular or decaff or tea).

The in-betweens - The king-size bed is, "Meh!" I KNOW Marriott can do better because the bed I had in their Crystal City (DC area) place was heaven! This one is hard as a rock, so it's not going to please most people (I'm not that picky and can sleep anywhere). I'm too busy to use the pool or workout rooms, so no comment there. I didn't use the phone except to call the front desk about Internet, and stay on hold with tech support. The landline phone sports an 18 inch hard wired cord, so be prepared to kiss the phone when you talk into the handset, but who uses a phone anyway?

The negatives: I NEED Internet to function- business reasons after work . ... at a cost of $12.95/night. ... and it doesn't work. Their network cable is shorted out, I figured that out on my own after an hour on the phone with tech support and that came after 15 minutes wait time to take the call. I finally gave up and tethered my cell phone (adequate 4G speeds that got me through a video conference for 2 hours - KUDOS to that one cell phone company that allows TRULY unlimited, non-throttled data transfers to get me through in a pinch). Later I got the wireless to work: 2.86 MB download and 2.77 MB upload - I needed a more secure cat 5 hard wire, but guess that's not an option around here. ( Okay, the upload speed is impressive, but Internet isn't about UPLOAD speed!) $12.95/day for 2.86 MB/sec download - Isn't that akin to false advertising on the Internet speed? Gimme a break! I have 18MB at home for $39/mo! (High speed starts at 6MB/s download IMO.) The door on the TV cabinet houses a mini fridge, that full ON barely keeps stuff cool and in no way, cold. The cabinet door is broken off the hinges. There is no microwave. The ICE COLD shower this morning was NOT TOO Cool - THANKS! NOT! (I did not take a shower during "rush hour"). The room is WAY WAY small (Maybe 150 sq. ft?) Scoot the office chair back and it bumps the bed and no walk space. barely enough room to set up an ironing board. Closet is TINY and even though I packed only for a few days, my stuff BARELY fits in the closet. For one person who just needs a desk and a bed, adequate. Oh, did I forget to mention $6/day parking on top of the $12.95/day Internet-non-service? PAY for EVERYTHING, no comps to speak of. This is on a per diem, basis so it's not like I'm getting this room at rock bottom price here for this stay - you'd think for the price they'd cut some of the fees out of the bill, no?

Let's put it this way, It's as nice as a really nice Acor Motel 6 or nice Econolodge with indoor access to your room, the same level of security for the parking lot, just as helpful of staff, same complimentary coffee available , but you have to pay for parking and Internet here, where if available, the others would offer that for free AND charge about 60% less per night. Well, maybe at Motel 6 or Econolodge you won't get an ironing board or 40" flat screen TV, but is that really worth the extra cost?

NOT Marriott's fault, but you need to consider this as well: Just TRY to get down the street during rush hour traffic. I'm visiting a location 3/4 mile away and during PM rush hour, it takes me almost 30 minutes to get back to the hotel and 10 minutes in the AM (Leesburg Pike), not to mention the road construction in the area making it very difficult to get to and back from food establishments in the area.

Room Tip: Get something at the end of the hallway for a quiet night's sleep! Rooms are TOO SMALL for more...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Roobah
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I simply cannot understand why this hotel charges six dollars a day for parking.. the parking lot was about 70% empty during our four day stay over one of, arguably, the busiest weekends of the year... Fourth of July weekend. Clearly people simply are not clamoring to park in the Tyson's Corner Marriott hotel's parking garage. So why charge a fee?

Also, I cannot remember in recent history the last time I checked into a suburban-type hotel where they had the audacity to attempt to charge for wi-fi/internet usage. This is ancient history people...get with it please...

The hotel is adequate..rooms are clean.. pool and exercise room are decent. However, it looks like the marketing plan is to suck you in at a lower rate then nickel and dime you every chance they get.

I suggest staying at any of the myriad of neighboring hotels.. Courtyard, Crowne Plaza, etc... both of which I stayed at before (at a similar rate with none of the nonsense described herein!)

And finally the room we stayed in had an A/C unit which literally blew air directly onto the adjoining wall... in the hallway upon entry. Thus very little cool air made it into the room. With temperatures in the high 90's to low 100's this past week, this unit had very little chance of cooling the room. The unit blew all day and night long, however I doubt the room ever got below 80 degrees...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brunei
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

We had a five night stay booked for us to do the Washington tourist thing over the independence day weekend, and got caught up in the electrical storms and the subsequent power outages. I have to say that while the hotel facilities and staff were fine when all was working there was a disappointing lack in the provision of information once the place was in virtual darkness. This was particularly evident from the front desk whose stock comment was 'this is outside our control'. Well yes a power cut is, but rather than just stating this to each individual questioner why not have a notice board displaying the latest information you have on the situation. No guests had internet or TV access so none were sighted on the latest developments in the local area. Additionally the staff refused to assist in rebooking elsewhere (even at other Marriott facilities that might have had power) and their sole concession was to say that they wouldn't charge the full rates for the stay if we left early - gee thanks! It must also be noted that the front desk staff were left to fend for themselves, and face frustrated guests for two days on their own - we did not see the hotel manager at any point during out time at the hotel, and certainly not while there were problems - surely the time for a manager (leader perhaps?) to be visible???

Room Tip: Make sure they have electrical power before you go!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed there for just 1 night, reception staff were a bit hit and miss as to how helpful they wanted to be ! Room was pleasant (photo attached) and good quality toiletries although no body wash provided. Only one lady serving several tables for breakfast so tea arrived then took ages for milk then wrong milk came so tea was cold. Eggs Benedict was lukewarm.....it was all very average, also be careful as they just pour you orange juice but then charge you $4 per glass for it!!!! Waited for shuttle bus for 50 mins even though we were told 20 .....
Nothing terrible but really not up to normal Marriott standards.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hilton McLean Tysons Corner
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
#4 of 14 in Tysons Corner

Been to Tysons Corner Marriott? Share your experiences!