“Needs Must”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
York
“Needs Must”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

I was working in McLean and was put up in the Marriott at Tyson's Corner.
Where?
Yes, that was my first reaction.
I arrived straight from my flight from London Heathrow to Dullas International in Washington and was driven to the hotel - I would never have found it myself.
The check in was very courteous and efficient and then I went to my room.
I had a good first impression of the room but the view from my room on that foggy day was depressing.
And that was the only bad experience in my stay at this clean, efficiently run hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly and I slept soundly in the comfortable bed.
Breakfast was exceptional. Because of my dietary habits (no wheat or sugary foods), I thought that I would starve in America, the land of the Doughnut, Danish, Pizza slices and humongous portions.
But no, I could eat a breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes and friend onions. I skipped the extensive servings of the usual food industry standard, processed crap and enjoyed my breakfast immensely.
If you have to stay in McLean or Tyson's Corner then you would do well to stay here, I recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

Let me take the bad parts first:
The room had not been properly cleaned. I found both popcorn and a flower crosage on the floor under the small table. Since we were only staying one nigjt, I did not bother to complain to the staff so I just put the suitcase on top og the dirt to prevent the kids from playing with it.
Dissappointed that the swimming pool only was open till nine in the morning. Since check out is noon, it would be very much appreciated if we had been able to use the pool also on check out date.
Good parts:
Friendly staff in the bar
Most accomodating staff in the reception
Polite and service minded drivers on the shuttle bus
We had access to the concierge lounge. I am used to the lounges in European hotels and it was a surprise to us that your were actualle charged for the alcohol. It was by all means not expensive, so not a problem. I missed some sorts of crips or chocolate for the kids in the lounge though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenta
Spokane, Wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Others I was with while at a conference at this property said their rooms were very small and they had trouble getting around if anyone was working at the desk in the room. I did not have that problem as I was in a handicap accessible room. Plenty of room to navigate if you are in a chair.

Cannot say enough good about the housekeeping staff. Our room was always clean and squared away and the attention to details by housekeeping was outstanding. Very much worth the tip we left every day.

Shula's had fantastic food but it is apparent that Coach Shula is funding his retirement on the menu costs, Service was excellent and so was the food but holy crap I don't make the money that Coach Shula must think is necessary to eat there...and it is the only restuarant in the property.

Who came up with the idea that the shuttle will only go within two miles of the property? The closest Metro station (which you need in DC) is three miles away!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

I stay here for business frequently and it is convenient and walkable to area buildings and the Tysons Mall. Service is very good, as I'm increasingly finding at Marriott-run hotels. Main negative is that the rooms are quite small particularly for a suburban hotel, but not a big deal for my purposes.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

The hotel was affordable, nice pool and the restaurant was open till midnight, which helped since our flight came in late. They only have WiFi in the lobby, otherwise there is a daily room charge. We used the hotel as a jumping off place for visiting family and DC sites, but it was challenging to get from the hotel to the major highways without many twists and turns. Very convenient for Tyson's Corner shopping.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

We used AAA to get a $94 rate including a substantial hotel breakfast for 2. Great room
Hotel pool was nice with a lifeguard and empty. Week after Christmas DC was quiet and hotels empty. Helpful front desk provides directions home etc parking is $6.00 day but safe and easy
Construction due to metro extension is difficult

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

I used to like this hotel for business travel. They have recently renovated the hotel so the rooms and lobby have the fresh look and comfort one would expect from Marriott. Now the inside it is even nicer.

Unfortunately, the parking lot has been renovated too. While many of the hotels in this area and class have free parking, this hotel is now charging $6 for guests to park. That is not a big charge, but the inconvenience of navigating the gate is enough for me to consider going down the road to the Westin.

That said, it is a nice hotel. The staff are great. The location is easy on/off and is walking distance to the larger of the Tysons malls, food and movie theater

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Hilton McLean Tysons Corner
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
#4 of 14 in Tysons Corner

Been to Tysons Corner Marriott? Share your experiences!