“Semi-decent food overshadowed by bad service.”
Review of Coastal Flats

Coastal Flats
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to this place last weekend hoping for good service and a quality meal. Not so much. Our server didn't even bother to give us his name before launching into a narration of the specials, during which he made zero eye contact and rambled on for five minutes or so. It was off-putting, but whatever, at least he knew the specials. Our biggest disappointments came later on. I ordered my dish without mushrooms, but it came with them anyways. Although the server did eventually notice and apologize, there were no efforts to correct the mistake--no offers for replacement, no manager checks, nothing. For all the server knew, I could've had a severe mushroom allergy. In my experience, mistakes like this should be amended, at least more so than a single half-hearted apology. When my boyfriend asked for ketchup, the food-runner said he'd be right back with it. Never showed up. We had to ask two other servers before finally getting ketchup. We decided to give this restaurant a redeeming shot with dessert, but we were pretty disappointed and grossed out when both of the dessert spoons came out filthy with spinach and other scraps on them. I guess the server didn't bother to check. Either way, we received no apology whatsoever. When it came time for the check, the whole process was completed by three people, none of whom were our server. I appreciate the teamwork efforts, but the whole process was just off-putting. Overall, the food wasn't bad, but the whole experience ensured that we are probably never coming back.

2  Thank sandra_206bound
Amaron C, Guest Relations Manager at Coastal Flats, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate hearing feedback from our guests. I am terribly sorry to hear about the service you experience while dining with us at Coastal Flats in Tysons. A manager would like to personally speak with you about your experience. Would you consider sharing a phone number at which you may be reached?

Amaron Curtis
Great American Restaurants
amaron.curtis@gar-sc.com

Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Seems like a chain restaurant paying prices of high end restaurant. My prime rib was almost $30 a plate and it arrived very rare when I ordered medium rare and we had already waited a while to get our food. By the time it came back my family had finished eating. The kale Cesar salad had so much garlic I still feel sick the next morning. It's a shopping mall restaurant. Manager was very nice about my dinner not being well prepared and before leaving gave me a gift card, however i don't think I would return.

1  Thank nicakemp
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I regularly eat at this restaurant. The deviled eggs and sugar cured bacon appetizer is to die for! Sounds strange but I guarantee you will never taste anything like it. Couple this with a couple of their famous mango mojito's, grouper fingers for dinner, and chocolate waffle for dessert and it doesn't get any better than this!

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I was expecting local seafood here. But this is actually a chain. What I had was pretty good. But it wasn't local. Service was good (they handled our group quite well) and so was the food. But near the coast, as we were, one would like to have more local choices--especially with a name like "Coastal Flats".

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor, we appreciate hearing your feedback. It is always our goal to exceed our guests expectations and are very sorry to have dissapointed you with the menu selection. A manager at Coastal Flats would like to personally speak with you about your experience. Would you consider sharing a phone number you can be reached at?

Amaron Curtis
Great American Restaurants
amaron.curtis@gar-sc.com

Reviewed June 10, 2014

We have had two lunches at this restaurant and both were very good. Each time, I ordered the special. One was halibut over spinach with a delicious sauce. Once it was mahi prepared with a Mediterranean sauce of sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives and orzo. The only unusualy thing was that the orzo salad under the fish was served purposely cold. They should really warm it as it cools off the fish. My husband had the pecan crusted trout over couscous which he really liked. We both had very good lobster bisque. The service was excellent. We will definitely go back often.