“Unexpectedly Good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Asheville, North Carolina
“Unexpectedly Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We were driving up 81 towards Washington and thought we couldn't take another Denny's or similar. All we wanted was a decent place to sit and get a home-cooked meal.We found the Greenwood Restaurant by accident. Happily, it had a good number of people there at 2 p.m., and more kept arriving. To me, one mark of a decent restaurant is if they can cook a burger to order, and they did; mine was thick, truly medium rare, and piled with cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato. My fries were crispy instead of soggy. All in all, this is a good place to stop.

• Visited December 2013

Tyler, Texas
“Home-style cooking with great taste”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I just discovered this restaurant and have been there twice this week! We had breakfast on our first visit and lunch with friends on our second visit. When I go out to breakfast, I want sausage gravy and biscuits and Greenwood is the best I've found lately in our area. There was plenty of sausage in the gravy which looked like it had started with a properly made roux (as opposed to the basic white flour paste-like substance some restaurants serve). The home fries I must say were a bit greasy and limp for my taste. My husband had eggs, hashbrowns, toast and bacon. The hashbrowns were better than the home fries. The day we had lunch there, all 4 of us had completely different items. The mac & cheese was wonderful as were the cornbread biscuits. Everyone enjoyed their choices. We also indulged in desserts which are daily at the restaurant. Lemon cake, apple pie, pumpkin pie, peach cobbler - we tried them all and were very happy.

• Visited October 2013
Pelham, New York
“Best Country Ham”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

They really know how to soak the ham and get the salt level down to an acceptable level. I just went for Breakfast obviously, but would go for any other meal here. Favorite of the locals whom I visit in the area.

Visited July 2013
Brunssum, The Netherlands
“Off the interstate, but worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were driving north on I-81 and needed something to eat. Jumped off at exit 156 and stopped at the place close to the exit. Didn't like what we saw and followed the signs down to Rt 11 (about 2 miles) to The Greenwood Restaurant. Thank goodness we did. Great little place, full of locals coming for lunch after Sunday service. Old fashion southern menu (you can still get a large (4 choices) or regular (3 choices) vegetable platter. Food was obviously homemade and tasted great. However, don't expect it to shown up immediately. They have to cook it, so you will be waiting a bit. Desserts were even better. Highly recommended

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank J&L_US
Roanoke, Virginia
“Good Counrty Food and reasonable prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

It has been a while since we visited Greenwood Rest., so we took our Daughter, Son-in-law and grandkids for dinner. Good down home food is their specialty. The Kids menu is good and has good variety.

• Visited September 2012