“Not a Typical Red Roof”

Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Troutville
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We thought this was a very upscale Red Roof on entering the Lobby. The Desk clerk was very helpful and friendly, although we understand she left the next day.The room did not contain normal Red Roof furniture so no wrap around office desk and no coffee maker. The great thing thing was that the window opened - not normal in Red Roof, so we didn't have to have the a/c on all night! However, the bathroom was very tired - the bath and its surround in particular. There is continental breakfast served from 6-9 but get there early as there are many families staying and the kids eat all the muffins, bananas and bagels way before 8! The hot tub was more lukewarm that hot and there were a lot of families there when we were there, so the pool was full of kids (it was weekend though) I understand this this hotel is under new management and Bea at Front Desk was absolutely first class. - shame the same could not be said of her colleague who was on duty on Saturday evening 14th April - did not get her name but shame on her for attempting to invent new "company policies" - thanks to Bea for sorting this out!

Room Tip: Not really - they all seemed pretty sound proof and there are 3 entrances all accessible by key card...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SugarbabeVermont
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville

Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel after seeing a billboard advertisement. What great value! Great price, friendly staff(check in lady was really nice and friendly-sorry, can't remember her name) Rooms spacious,free Wifi,all day tea and coffee, free breakfast. Only downside was that you could smell cigarette smoke in the corridors and it is a pet friendly hotel. Our room was smoke free though. Quiet even though next to main road. Would stay again.

Room Tip: request room in a non smoking area as the corridors tend to waft with smokey smell. And away from pe...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MJTBatemansBay
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Roanoke was a stop off point for a drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway, so my only real concern was to get a reasonable nights sleep for the next day's driving. I've not stayed ina Red Roof before, but was led by some OK reviews. Writing this at five in the morning will tell you how successful that was.

In fairness, I can't blame the staff, it is the hotel infrastructure that needs sorting. Problems at check in, when I was assigned a room that hadn't been cleaned were swiftly sorted out by a very good receptionist (probably the best part of the whole stay was meeting her). I was upgraded to a superior king room, which was a reasonable size, and pleasant enough for a one night stay. It was only when I tried to get some sleep that problems became apparent. The bed was rock hard, the pillows equally so, and the sheets were only as wide as the bed so you started a constant fight with them. But the real problem was trying not to concentrate on the occupants of room 232 next door. May the be very happy together, their offspring bring them joy, that she sorts out his snoring, and finally turn the damn bathroom light off. The droning of the fan resonated through my room for the entire night.

I won't stop for breakfast, because I knew that I would have to stop somewhere during the day for a power nap. Somehow, I don't think I'll be looking back. I just hope that the couple in room 232 won't be mind if I take a shower at six in the morning.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I'm a RediCard member of Red Roof and generally am pleased with my experiences staying there. They're affordable, convenient, usually have breakfast and they don't charge for pets. This is a nice enough hotel and you get what you pay for, however, the staff is surly, rude, and condescending.

First off, breakfast was advertised as having a continental breakfast and a waffles. We got down there to find no waffle maker and only a basket of apples, packets of instant grits, and empty oatmeal container, and white bread for toast. They had coffee, tea, and juice, but nothing resembling waffles. The kids were terribly disappointed and this was not worth waking up for.

Before that, the night before, we entered our room and there was a funky odor. I can't exactly pinpoint what it was or where it came from but it smelled plasticy and like...rotten Play-do, if that makes sense. It was possible that someone prior to us smoked in the room and that was the "scent" they used to clean it up.

When I crawled into bed...there was no sheet. Right. No top sheet. Went to the front and asked for one. The woman was incredulous. Like I'd make it up that there's no sheet. She wanted to know what room and which bed and I said, "Can I just have a sheet so I can go to bed?" She did offer to move us to another room, but we had made camp and unpacked, so it wasn't necessary. I just wanted a sheet.

The next morning, check out was at 11 a.m. on a Sunday. The parking lot was pretty empty save a handful of cars. The kids were slow moving as kids are wont to do, so we called down to the front desk at 10:30 a.m. and asked if we could have just a little more time to check out. The desk clerk let out an over-exaggerated sigh and reprimanded us for even asking, saying we should have called much earlier to make such a request and it was "impossible." On a Sunday. With an empty parking lot. My husband informed her that we would never stay there again and hung up. The front desk kept calling over and over and over as we were packing up and trying to leave. We did not answer the phone as we just wanted to get out of there. As we were in the lobby leaving, someone shouted out to us, "Are you the people in 216?" We just left.

They must have figured out I'm in the VIP club and either wanted to make amends...or probably chastise us more for even requesting additional time. I understand needing to turn the rooms over and get them cleaned, but a half hour on a Sunday would not have inconvenienced and empty hotel. Very rude staff that obviously hates their job and likes to pass that attitude on to the customer. There is nothing hospitable about this location. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was there for business because I live in another state and I got one room that was overtaking with stink bugs,reported it to manager ,she moved me to another room that was nasty with hair on the bathroom floor,spots on the shower curtain and an dirty microwave.I call and let the manager know that and nothing was done,I checked back out and didn't stay and called the cooperate office for refund.Poor, service and no help from from front desk.I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2012

On the road long hours i want a good night sleep. But the bed was uncomfortable and also the walls are not sound proof i could hear the people talking to 3am. I got no sleep at all before i go on the road again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
JATIN P, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Dear Guest,
I am really sorry for the discomfort you had during your stay. We will take the necessary measures to do a lot better in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

For best price just drive up when you get there. $58. for King room. $45. if you want 2 singles. Clean. Right next to I81. basic continental breakfast included, perfect for our 6 a.m. departure. Lots of amenities within blocks. The best gas price we hit on our drive from Canada to Fla. was right across the st 2.91 Gal. Great bang for the buck!

Room Tip: Smoking available if you do.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank moxxy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutville
Holiday Inn Express Troutville-Roanoke North
Comfort Inn Troutville
Comfort Inn Troutville
#4 of 5 in Troutville
Howard Johnson Inn Daleville/Roanoke North
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke
La Quinta Inn Roanoke Salem
Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81

Been to Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville? Share your experiences!