“Rude staff that makes you feel like a criminal for any request”

Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Troutville
Savannah, Georgia
“Rude staff that makes you feel like a criminal for any request”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I'm a RediCard member of Red Roof and generally am pleased with my experiences staying there. They're affordable, convenient, usually have breakfast and they don't charge for pets. This is a nice enough hotel and you get what you pay for, however, the staff is surly, rude, and condescending.

First off, breakfast was advertised as having a continental breakfast and a waffles. We got down there to find no waffle maker and only a basket of apples, packets of instant grits, and empty oatmeal container, and white bread for toast. They had coffee, tea, and juice, but nothing resembling waffles. The kids were terribly disappointed and this was not worth waking up for.

Before that, the night before, we entered our room and there was a funky odor. I can't exactly pinpoint what it was or where it came from but it smelled plasticy and like...rotten Play-do, if that makes sense. It was possible that someone prior to us smoked in the room and that was the "scent" they used to clean it up.

When I crawled into bed...there was no sheet. Right. No top sheet. Went to the front and asked for one. The woman was incredulous. Like I'd make it up that there's no sheet. She wanted to know what room and which bed and I said, "Can I just have a sheet so I can go to bed?" She did offer to move us to another room, but we had made camp and unpacked, so it wasn't necessary. I just wanted a sheet.

The next morning, check out was at 11 a.m. on a Sunday. The parking lot was pretty empty save a handful of cars. The kids were slow moving as kids are wont to do, so we called down to the front desk at 10:30 a.m. and asked if we could have just a little more time to check out. The desk clerk let out an over-exaggerated sigh and reprimanded us for even asking, saying we should have called much earlier to make such a request and it was "impossible." On a Sunday. With an empty parking lot. My husband informed her that we would never stay there again and hung up. The front desk kept calling over and over and over as we were packing up and trying to leave. We did not answer the phone as we just wanted to get out of there. As we were in the lobby leaving, someone shouted out to us, "Are you the people in 216?" We just left.

They must have figured out I'm in the VIP club and either wanted to make amends...or probably chastise us more for even requesting additional time. I understand needing to turn the rooms over and get them cleaned, but a half hour on a Sunday would not have inconvenienced and empty hotel. Very rude staff that obviously hates their job and likes to pass that attitude on to the customer. There is nothing hospitable about this location. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was there for business because I live in another state and I got one room that was overtaking with stink bugs,reported it to manager ,she moved me to another room that was nasty with hair on the bathroom floor,spots on the shower curtain and an dirty microwave.I call and let the manager know that and nothing was done,I checked back out and didn't stay and called the cooperate office for refund.Poor, service and no help from from front desk.I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 16, 2012

On the road long hours i want a good night sleep. But the bed was uncomfortable and also the walls are not sound proof i could hear the people talking to 3am. I got no sleep at all before i go on the road again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
JATIN P, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am really sorry for the discomfort you had during your stay. We will take the necessary measures to do a lot better in the future.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2011

For best price just drive up when you get there. $58. for King room. $45. if you want 2 singles. Clean. Right next to I81. basic continental breakfast included, perfect for our 6 a.m. departure. Lots of amenities within blocks. The best gas price we hit on our drive from Canada to Fla. was right across the st 2.91 Gal. Great bang for the buck!

Room Tip: Smoking available if you do.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank moxxy
Marion, North Carolina
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed here during a recent trip to Roanoke because the price was reasonable and the hotel was pet friendly. We were very pleased with how clean the rooms were, the beds were comfortable, service was great and the location was easily assessable to the city. Breakfast was adequate also and the coffee was very good. I will definately stay here again and check out other RR's for any other trips I make.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank rosie953
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Felt like I was at a bed & breakfast--staff was very friendly, helpful and more than accomodating. Manager, Alan Ham, bent over backwards to make sure we had what we needed.

Nice breakfast

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank nettie l
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Rooms were decent and clean for a Red Roof. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Due to a mix up with RediCard voucher, corporate did not want to provide anything but a standard room. Since my reservation was for a Superior King and typical for my room choice and reward, the manager was very accommodating and upgraded us anyway.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank DerralVL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutville
Holiday Inn Express Troutville-Roanoke North
Comfort Inn Troutville
Comfort Inn Troutville
#4 of 5 in Troutville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke
Howard Johnson Inn Daleville/Roanoke North
La Quinta Inn Roanoke Salem
Fairfield Inn & Suites Roanoke North

Been to Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville? Share your experiences!