“Not a very pleasant experience”

Quality Inn Troutville
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Troutville
Virginia
“Not a very pleasant experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed at the Quality Inn in Troutville the night before the BC game.

I'll give the positives first. The staff was very friendly - no problems there. The free wi-fi includes ESPN360, so if you are up there for a Tech game and want to check out the highlights before going to bed, you can. (For those who aren't looking at this hotel for a Tech game, just nod politely.)

Now the negatives.

If you are looking at the picture on their website (which is the same photo TripAdvisor has), you would think that all of the rooms are interior-facing (meaning, the door goes to a hallway, not to the outside.) I'm not 100% sure, but I think the picture is of the hotel next door. Or maybe it's a photo from when it used to be a Holiday Inn Express. Whatever it is, this photo is 100% NOT the Quality Inn.

The room door goes to the outside, which means you hear nothing but interstate traffic going by all night. For me, that's a deal killer.

It wasn't particularly clean - I killed four stink bugs in my room before going to bed. I don't fault them too terribly much for that, though - when you have exterior-facing rooms and there's been a lot of rain, you're going to find bugs. I wouldn't have even stayed here if the picture on the website had actually have been of this hotel.

The beds were incredibly hard - I pulled the blanket off of the other bed and that at least got me through the night, although my back still hurt the next morning.

The website says they have a "Free deluxe continental breakfast". I looked over at it and saw bagels and bread. (There may have been more - after a cursory glance, I decided to just go to Hardee's, which is right across the street.)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank DaveTheHokie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2008

kinda expensive , your basic get sleep, shower grab some coffee and drive type place

• Liked — could park and unload right in front of door
  • Disliked — paying over a hundred dollars for a nite
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ndirish55
Lorton, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

This was picked as a stop over on a long driving trip. It was in the right location with a chain we are having good luck with so stopped.

We found another really good Holiday Inn Express, very clean, nice amenities, including a nice breakfast bar.

We experienced two downsides. First, the bed seemed really hard and the pillows not so great so we didn't sleep really well. Second, we thought it was expensive for a Holiday Inn Express.

Thus it recieves an average rating.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — bed
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank IndiTravler
MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2007

I stopped here after 12 hours of driving and my baby needed a break. It was very convenient and had a Cracker Barrel next door, which I would not normally eat in, but it fit the bill that night.
The room had good wireless internet connection, the rug was clean and the room was quiet and parking was right outside the door.

At $97.00 I was disappointed to find hair covering the tub and bathroom floor. Also the shower curtain reeked of mildew. The clorox wipes I brought were not up for the task. No bath for my son that night. Really, how long does it take for a shower curtain to get so stinky? Shouldn't they routinely rotate these things out? What other corners do they cut...how about those bedspreads????

The next morning it took a full 45 minutes for the coffee pot to churn out a mere 4 cups of coffee. The lady at the desk thought it must need to be cleaned....

The continental breakfast at 0630 consisted of VERY stale bread and muffins and hard boiled eggs. There were other offerings, but I decided they looked worse than the muffins. The juice was pretty awful, but the coffee was quite reasonable.

Thankfully I found a subway shop and had an early lunch.

I probably would not stay here again - it just was not worth the price.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank CRNATravel
Austin,TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2006

My father booked us a room here for a Thanksgiving stay. We got room 114 with a giant jacuzzi tub, which our 6 year old loved. It was a huge room, they kept it very clean, the AC and heater both worked well. Checkin was fast and no problem.

The continental breakfast is hit or miss, but there are several restaurants very close by and easy access to the highway. If you're travelling through Roanoke, this is a nice choice.

• Stayed November 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hnewburn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutville
Holiday Inn Express Troutville-Roanoke North
Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville
Comfort Inn Troutville
Comfort Inn Troutville
#4 of 5 in Troutville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke
Howard Johnson Inn Daleville/Roanoke North
Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81

Been to Quality Inn Troutville? Share your experiences!