“Best kept secret on the Middle Penninsula!”
Review of Eckhard's - CLOSED

Eckhard's
Cuisines: German
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2019

We've lived on the Middle Penninsula since 1999 and have passed by this unassuming restaurant numerous times. We decided to give it a try for Mother's Day. We made reservations for 1:15 pm. We arrived at 1:05 pm and they had our table ready. There was a huge lunch crowd, but our wait staff was excellent and they brought our drinks, appetizers, main course and desserts out at the appropriate time where you were not waiting on food or drink. The menu offers a lot of variety--Italian, German, Seaford and Steaks. Appetizers: We ordered calamari, artichoke hearts and Baked Fresh Mozzarella wrapped in Prosciutto Ham over Crostini Bread, Everything was excellent but noteworthy was the calamari was the most tender we've ever had. For the main course, my wife ordered the Dry Aged and Charbroiled Black Angus Filet Mignon. It was cooked perfectly to her order and melted in her mouth--a better filet mignon than Ruth's Chris' in her opinion. My daughter ordered Baked Scallops Romano and again, the best scallop we've had at any restaurant in Virginia. My son ordered the German Bratwurst Sampler which came with a traditional bratwurst, weisswurst and wiener style wurst, served over a bed of mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. Having been to Germany, I approve of the authenticity of the wurst. I ordered the jagerschitzel. The veal cutlet was very tender and the jagersauce was exceptional with large chunks of mushrooms in a bacon and creme sauce. Again, having been to Germany and eaten my fair share of jagarschitzel, I was slightly disappointed that the schnitzel was not fried in a crunchy breading, such as panko crumbs. For dessert, we had the German Apfel Studel a la mode,White Chocolate Mascarponi Cheesecake, Chocolate Pate and The Chocolate Martini. The cheesecake was everyone's favorite and the chocolate martini was very good. Noteworthy is the prices of the desserts are very reasonable for quality homemade desserts. The service was exceptional. Eckard's is a little more pricey than other local restaurants on the middle peninsula, but the old adage applies--you get what you pay for. This is now our family's go-to restaurant when we go out to dine.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed May 10, 2019 via mobile

Average food and a poor wine list await you at Eckards. It is the only decent restaurant for miles, but that doesn't make it worthwhile.

The service was fair but the prices high for what can generously be described as average food.

Skip this one.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed May 3, 2019

My Wife and I had a wonderful dinner here last week. The staff is so nice. The food is great and what a Menu to choose from. Loved the German Beer's I could choose from. Another restaurant I wish I lived closer to.

Reviewed May 1, 2019

Menu is somewhat limited but the food tastes make up for any short falls. The dinner rolls arrived hot but did not melt the butter. Service was excellant . Will stop again next time we are in the area

Reviewed April 14, 2019

We celebrated a very special birthday dinner, this past week, however, every time we have been to Eckhard's we have been graciously greeted by the lovely owner/hostess.
(And how often does that happen!). The classic white table cloth charm, with top shelf stocked bar, and tastefully contemporary background tunes, set the atmosphere for a grand celebration that appealed to all generations at our table. Our effervescent hostess was extremely knowledgeable about the menu, made suggestions, and took great care to time our meal courses and beverages timely, without hovering. In fact, she noticed we had finished our amazing broccoli side dish pretty quickly, and so kindly took it upon herself to bring us another serving bowl of the perfectly steamed and seasoned vegetable.
As habit, the chef/owner came out in white jacket to make the table rounds, greet the guests, and find out if we were all satisfied with our meals. A real nice touch was the owners knowledge of wines and pairing reccomendations for our meals.