“Don't Stay Here -- Stay at the Holiday Inn right next door”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Thornburg
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I made the mistake of booking a room at this Quality Inn instead of the Holiday Inn next door. First they gave us a smoking room and we had reserved non-smoking. I should have moved to the Holiday Inn at that point. Instead, I took another room which didn't smell, but the hotel is old and in need of renovation and the rooms are dark.
Well in the morning we woke up to find the beds infested with bed bugs, I saw them with my own eyes. What a disaster!!!

Don't stay here, I had to come home and wash all my clothes twice in hot water, the luggage is still in my garage, in fact I am just going to throw it away. Of course the manager was no where to be found and he still has not returned my phone calls. I'm still not sure if I have killed them and I haven't infested my home... only time will tell.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 8, 2010

Manager was pleasant. Gave me a king room which was mildewy smelling and the bathroom had not been clean. He apologized, and gaveme another room, which smelled better but the bathroom was equally dirty (all fixtures had not been cleaned since the last guest or two).
Tv is blurry, bed coils are popping out.
Try someplace else on your way up/down 95.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Cobwebs on a light by the bed.
Spider in the tub.
BEDBUGS (my b/f woke up w/ bites all over his legs).
Dank room, smelled like mildew, hard to breath/sleep.
SLUG on the wall.
Flies in bathroom
Crud on bathroom floor.
Strange dirt marks on the walls.
Hotel employee knocked on our door at 7am, said sorry and walked away.
$109 was too much for this room w/ a king bed!
Enough said, STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Let me start off by giving a summary of my trip's purpose and stay at this awful place. I am from NY and I was driving to South Carolina for my fiance's Marine Graduation. I left NY the afternoon of the April 7th and after driving 11 hours I felt that I should get off at the next exit and get some sleep since I didn't want to continue driving while tired and being a female alone I didn't think it would be safe to sleep in the car.
So the next exit brought me to Thornburg and the Quality Inn was right there, I parked and walked in, asked the woman at the night desk if they had any vacancy's. She said 1, and it was a smoking king. Not exactly ideal but it was the middle of the night so I asked how much 1 night was. She replied $79+tax. I said that I would like to take it...she took my licence and credit card and gave me the key.
The room of course smelled but I knew that would be the case, the tub and toilet also had that yellow tinge that smoke leaves behind...but all of this is not really what is wrong with this place.
The next morning I returned my key and continued on my way. I finally got to Beaufort and graduation. When I got back to NY my credit card bil arrved and there was a charge for $263!!!!! I had not spent that much on anything, so I called the credit card company and asked them what the carge was for, they said that it was for the Quality Inn in Thornburg! I refused to pay the charge as that was not what the woman had told me at the front desk. It was all looked into and the hotel faxed an invoice saying that I had arrived on the 7th and departed on the 10th! This was followed by my sending them an invoice from my Hotel in Beaufort SC stating that the nights of the 8th and 9th I was in fact there. Now obviously I was not in two places at once and of course when I called the hotel myself and asked for the manager and was told he was unavailable but a message would be left and he would return my call. Which of course he did not. I filed a formal complaint with Choice Hotels and I will continue to refute this charge. However I think it is rediculous that somthing that happened in April is still not resolved in July, three billing cycles have passed.
My fiancee is currently based in NC and I will be travelling from NY and back a great deal beofore our wedding in the spring and I will most definatly not be giving Choice Hotels my business.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Let me precede my review with the fact that I've been a Choice Privilege member for 6 years and always try to stay in one of their brand hotels. For the same price you can get a room at the Comfort Inn Southpoint right up the road on Rt 1 (Jefferson Davis Hwy) off I-95 (next to the McDonald's).

I wrote a review of this place in 2007. My husband & I have been staying here for 10 weekends (April-June) every year. It has gone downhill from my last review. This year we stayed in rooms 125, 114, 201, 118, & 117.

Check in: If you've reserved a room weeks in advance, don't count on it being available when you check in. I mean we stay there EACH YEAR & they still didn't save the room we wanted. Oh, and if you've reserved a room with your points that doesn't mean that they treat you any better. Our 1st weekend we had reserved a non-smoking room w/ 2 double beds - they put us in a 1 king handicap room because they said they had already booked up the other rooms. When I complained, they put us in the rattiest room they had w/ 2 double beds.

We always stay for a minimum of 2 nights, yet each day we return to the hotel our room key has been set for 1 night. We always have to go back up to the desk & get it re-done for the 2nd day of our stay. It got to the point where we didn't even go to our room, but stopped off at the desk & had them re-do the key each day.

Each room had its own problem which included: holes in walls which were patched but not painted. Broken tiles in bathroom floor (don't cut your foot on it!). Ants in one room. Peeling wallpaper. Toilets that don't flush unless you pull the mechanism from the inside. They put in new phones that had a HUGE red flashing light, but didn't know how to turn it OFF (we finally just unplugged it)! Furniture that looked like it came from the dump replaced furniture what was already falling apart - drawers didn't open or close correctly. One room's A/C wasn't working. The rooms are smelly (& we're ex-smokers) with old food & body odors.

Items like iron, phone, clock/radio are missing from rooms. You have to go to the front desk & ask for them -- if they have them on hand which sometimes they don't. Lightbulbs were burned out one time & they didn't have replacements (hey! there's a dang Food Lion right up the street!).

THEY DO NOT CHANGE THE BED SHEETS WHEN PEOPLE CHECK OUT!!!! I found all kinds of hair in our bed from the previous people that stayed in the room. Since it was after 10 pm when we checked in I left a note in the room & at the front desk for them to change the sheets. I don't care if they just make the bed during OUR stay, but JEEZ, change the sheets when we leave for the next person. Speaking of sheets - maybe they get these from other hotels when they go out of business. I've found better sheets at the Family Dollar store. You can SEE THRU THESE SHEETS!! Do NOT poke a finger into them or they WILL rip.

The wi-fi signals are very weak, 2 bars, if you're at the back of the hotel (by the interstate). You get a better signal from the Holiday Inn Express, 4 bars.

They should take the "Quality" out of the name & replace it with "SHODDY" or "ILL KEPT" or "INFERIOR" - whatever the opposite of "Quality" is.

My husband & I stayed our last 2 weeks at the Comfort Inn mentioned earlier. Better hotel for the same price.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I read the reviews for this hotel, and I decided to book a room anyway, thinking maybe some people had exagerated, but I found out they didn't.
I had a smoking room, that smelled very bad. The bathroom looked as if there was mold behind the toilet seat , the shower curtain was dirty, and there was a wooden board above the shower head that looked like it was about to fall down. I felt out of my comfort zone the whole time.
I only stayed for one night, and when I went to check out, the lady charged me an extra $25, when I asked her why she said it was the 'system" that did it and she couldn't change it. ( I am a choice employee, I was supposed to get a fixed rate). She wasn't helpful at all, and when I asked if they could print me out mapquest directions they said none of their computer printed (they just printed me out my check out reciept). I didn't want to deal with it anmore so I ended up leaving. I wouldn't reccomend this hotel to anyone, unless they get different owners.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2009

True I only stayed there one night, but was very satisfied. As a non-smoker, no problem with any smell or stink in my room. Location was prime just off the highway with everything you need around you. Price was good and we hit some Italian restaurant nearby. I really can't find anything to complain about.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank denpanosekai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornburg
Best Western Plus Thornburg Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn Southpoint
Sleep Inn Southpoint
#14 of 41 in Fredericksburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fredericksburg South (I-95)
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#12 of 41 in Fredericksburg
La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Holiday Inn Express Fredericksburg Southpoint
Holiday Inn Express Fredericksbu...
#19 of 41 in Fredericksburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Fredericksburg South

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!