“Excellent food and nice atmosphere”
Review of Forlano's Market - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Haymarket, Virginia
“Excellent food and nice atmosphere”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This tiny little restaurant features an open kitchen, locally sourced ingredients, and nice wine and beer list. We had the chicken summer rolls as an appetizer. They were delicious, and the sauce that came with it was blazing hot! My husband had the shrimp and grits and commented those grits were the best he had ever had...which is saying a lot since he orders them whenever he sees them on a menu. I had the scallops dish and it was also excellent.
The restaurant has a nice laid back atmosphere, and because of the smaller size can get a bit loud. We would highly recommend this little stop on The Plains.

Visited July 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Forlorn over Forlano's”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stepping into Forlano's is like meeting an old, quirky friend that you haven't seen in years. Aged. Well worn. Instantly comfortable in a place where everyone seems to know everyone else. While well reviewed elsewhere, our visit exposed a few unexpected cracks in the floorboards.

If you're not a monied local, this is a special occasion restaurant where dinner for two can easily top $100. Dinner reservations are a must. Beer/Wine. No Liquor.

The food is resourced locally, expertly prepared and mostly 4 star. A New York Strip was prepared to perfection. Scallops over steamed spinach, outstanding.

A bread basket, which we have preferred warmed, was delicious and served with oil for dipping.

An delivered Caesar salad had quite a bit of wilted lettuce. That aside, the flavor was wonderful.

Where the restaurant fell short was in the details that were handled by the staff. It wasn't until after we had ordered that, in hearing a presentation at another table, we found out that a Lasagna dish was available. We were simply asked if we were ready to order and no presentation of any sort was made.

Water was provided and lemon was available upon request. However, no ice was available. When ice was requested, we were told that ice was only available on the days that the ice machine worked. As it was a warm day, ice water would have been refreshing. Ultimately, the owners responsibility but possibly, simply some of the restaurants quirkiness.

Of real concern, if you have food allergies, is to inspect your meal. Before ordering, we were very clear about a potentially life threatening food allergy. Our waitress, who spent quite a bit of time discussing the allergy with us, assured us that our entire meal requests contained none of the ingredient. When an ordered Mushroom soup arrived, it could be visually seen floating. We had made this trip, in large part, to sample this very meal. A substitute soup was offered, accepted and comped on the check. This was, however, an extremely important oversight.

A Scallop entree was ordered without bacon. We were told that this would not be a problem, was noted on the check, was delivered with a flourish along with a statement saying "sans bacon", yet bacon was easily visible.

The chef/owner was very gracious and concerned about the mishap(s). The waitress had picked up the wrong dish. In each case we had to get someones attention to have a correction made.

The steak entree, while perfectly prepared, was a bit of a disappointment only in that no steak sauce of any kind or demi glace was available. To the chefs credit, he did attempt to create a sauce without having asked him to do so.

This visit was for a special occasion and the restaurant went out of it's way in accommodating a deliver of flowers that were to be upon the table when my wife came in. When I entered the restaurant first, I didn't notice them. I asked a hostess if any had been delivered and she replied that none had, when in fact, they had been.

There is much potential here and we plan to return with friends (I'll bring my own ice and steak sauce). The mistakes that occurred, which could have resulted in a 911 call, were preventable and keep this us from rating this a 4+ restaurant.

Still, for outstanding food and a unique, quirky experience in the country half an hour from anywhere, it's worth the drive.

Just be sure to ask about any specials and if you have a food allergy, inspect the food. Oh yes, use a restroom before you leave home if the restaurant isn't open when you arrive. The only gas station in town wouldn't let us use theirs.

• Visited June 2014
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Nice Lunch”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I visited Forlano's with another couple. We went based on the recommendation of the owner at O'Brien Cellars winery. Forlano.s did not disappoint. I had a great caeser salad with sliced steak and my wife had a salad with grilled shrimp and a Thai dressing. Everything was first rate and really good coffee. Chef Nicholas Forlano was available for conversation. All in all, I would recommend this place if you are in the area.

• Visited February 2014
“Food quality needs improvement”
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We met friends for dinner, and had a very fun time. The service was very good, they had a decent selection of beers and wines, but the food needs some attention. I ordered the short ribs, and it was very fatty and tough. Also, our table ordered the calamari, and while it tasted very good, the portion size was disappointingly small. I ordered the creme brulee, and it was okay, but I wouldn't order it again. The most important thing was spending time with good friends. The venue is small, but they do a good job at maximizing the space. And I will reemphasize that our service was very good and accommodating.

Washington,DC
“Casual and fun atmosphere”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Love this neighborhood find! Great homey food, casual atmosphere and great service. Our waitress never stopped but always had a smile and was attentive. I had the roast beef sandwich that was similar to a French Dip and my companion had the turkey sandwich w/ cranberries and cheese. YUM to both! Glad we found it - we'll be back!

• Visited November 2013