“Delightful Restaurant in The Plains”
Review of The Rail Stop

The Rail Stop
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rail Stop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in The Plains
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 245
Reviewed February 20, 2014

"Comfortable" as well as “outstanding” might be the best way to describe The Rail Stop in The Plains! The food is excellent and service is equally outstanding. Best of all it comes together in a small, casual, relaxed atmosphere. The Rail Stop very successfully promotes a neighborly or local feel. In other words, outstanding food and service without the trappings of a “fancy” restaurant. No need to over-dress, no over-bearing wait staff, etc.; just great food and service in a comfortable and relaxed environment. The only down-side is the meals are a little pricey; otherwise the rating would be Five.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Not many choices around The Plains and the wife and I ate here for lunch today. Small place with about 8-10 tables and a counter with 5-6 stools. Quaint is a good way to describe it. The wife ordered the Roasted Eggplant open faced sandwich. She said it was very good. I ordered the Asian Pork Sandwich with Bok Choy and Pesto Mayo. The sandwich was pretty small but tasty. The bok choy was grilled and pretty tough to eat. I had to remove it from my sandwich and cut it with my fork to eat. I got the house made sweep potato chips as a side. It was a very small portion. Not a fav spot but a good little restaurant.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Went for Sunday brunch and made a reservation through Open Table. No need to there were only 3 or 4 tales of people in there at noon. Waitress was friendly but not overly attentive (no refill on water). Food was good -- potatoes really tasty. The bacon was very good too and they make their own sausage (a little too spicy for the 14 year old). But the entrees come with no bread. Toast was $1.50 extra for two slices and they ran out of wheat toast. For $30 breakfast entrees (for 3) you think there would be biscuits, toast or something. Just beer and wine so no bloody marys with brunch.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

The staff and servers were very warm and welcoming. It was a pretty slow night but they didn't mind us staying late and enjoying some wine. It was a little expensive for the value of the dishes and wine. It was fine but very forgettable, in fact I really can't remember if I had Salmon or beef.

1  Thank CJeepGO
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I cannot say that the very petite portion of sautéed spinach salad w/scallops was terrible - I honestly ate all of it (although I don't have a big appetite and the portion was quite small for the price - more than $14). It was tasty - but there was also an undercurrent of an "old grease" taste from the scallops that were possibly sautéed on a dirty griddle or some similar cooking vessel that had greasy remnants. No, I didn't send it back because I was hungry and it was tasty (and I can imagine that if the portion had been larger and did not have the old grease taste on the scallops - the lunch entrée would have been quite good). Why did I give them only 2 circles? We started out with some stale bread slices that had not even been heated up and when we asked for some fresh bread we were told it had just been baked that day - really???? The bread was served with frozen butter and it tasted like week old soda bread. I would suggest that in the future they purchase bread from a reputable bakery. I can see that there is a built in crowd here that would eat anything served. I have read from others that the service is excellent although we did not find the staff to be very friendly - they were satisfactory. The menu selection is quite limited, it is overpriced and I believe that even though the salad concept was tasty it was truly not worth the $55 lunch total which included two salads and one wine.