“Friendly but just fine food”
Review of The Rail Stop

The Rail Stop
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rail Stop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in The Plains
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 245
Reston, Virginia
“Friendly but just fine food”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The staff and servers were very warm and welcoming. It was a pretty slow night but they didn't mind us staying late and enjoying some wine. It was a little expensive for the value of the dishes and wine. It was fine but very forgettable, in fact I really can't remember if I had Salmon or beef.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank CJeepGO

Winchester, Virginia
“Too Expensive for Very Small Portion & Stale Bread, Yet Tasty!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I cannot say that the very petite portion of sautéed spinach salad w/scallops was terrible - I honestly ate all of it (although I don't have a big appetite and the portion was quite small for the price - more than $14). It was tasty - but there was also an undercurrent of an "old grease" taste from the scallops that were possibly sautéed on a dirty griddle or some similar cooking vessel that had greasy remnants. No, I didn't send it back because I was hungry and it was tasty (and I can imagine that if the portion had been larger and did not have the old grease taste on the scallops - the lunch entrée would have been quite good). Why did I give them only 2 circles? We started out with some stale bread slices that had not even been heated up and when we asked for some fresh bread we were told it had just been baked that day - really???? The bread was served with frozen butter and it tasted like week old soda bread. I would suggest that in the future they purchase bread from a reputable bakery. I can see that there is a built in crowd here that would eat anything served. I have read from others that the service is excellent although we did not find the staff to be very friendly - they were satisfactory. The menu selection is quite limited, it is overpriced and I believe that even though the salad concept was tasty it was truly not worth the $55 lunch total which included two salads and one wine.

• Visited December 2013
Washington,DC
“Ugh”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Had heard good hings but were sorely disappointed. My salad - wilted spincah with seared scallops - greasy, cool and scallops that were dry and tasteless. My boyfriends pulled pork special of the day - came out without pork! The restaurant was not busy, so can't even give them a pass in that respect.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank MrJones
Great Falls, Virginia
“No room inside”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Well it was a nice sunny Sunday afternoon when we stopped over for lunch. Inside was jam packed and waiting staff was super busy during late lunch hours. The place was Zakat rated so we wanted to try it. We ended up sitting outside which was a bit chili, so we just ordered coffee and french toast and make it fast affair. Since they were understaffed they only offered us a takeout option for service (cups, plates and silverware was takeout type). No problem -- we understood their dilemma. Staff was very friendly and tried their best to manage a difficult situation. Judging from how busy the place was in this historic, quaint little horse country town, my hunch is the place serves good food and I plan to go there again based on the french toast experience only :-)

• Visited October 2013
Madison, VA
“Delicious food and excellent service!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were greeted in a very welcoming way by Diana, who also became our waitperson. The restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere, and Diana seated our party of six family members at a cozy corner table (tactfully arranged as the number in the party had changed without notice). We all ordered different meals. My husband and I had what I believe was the most delicious chicken - pan seared with a wonderful sauce - I've ever tasted! My meal was accompanied by a warm spinach salad dressed with butter sauce, mushrooms and smoked bacon - DElish!

One of our daughters had a problem with part of her dinner missing, but Diana quickly provided her with an addition that brought her meal to her satisfaction. In addition, I had told the person who took our reservation that I have an allergy to cayenne or other hot peppers. Not only did that person make a note on our reservation, but Diana very sensitively asked when we sat down who had the allergy and made sure what I ordered was safe for me to eat.

All in all, it was a wonderful, fun evening. Diana was extremely attentive throughout, and we made a plan to return for a family dinner "same time next year." But - we all knew we would return much sooner than that. For me, that chicken is calling my name!! FIVE STARS! Annie

• Visited October 2013