Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tappahannock
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tappahannock
Mechanicsville, Maryland
“BEWARE #2”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

My wife and I had a very enjoyable anniversary weekend get-away here in April 2011. Then in November I was surprised to discover another charge from this SAME hotel on my credit card statement. I called the hotel and talked to the lady on duty. In a polite tone she told me that their records indicated I had called their hotel directly and reserved a suite for a night in October (same timeframe as other "BEWARE" message). When I did not show up or cancel the reservation in time, a "no show" charge was billed to my credit card (same one I used back in April). I explained to her in detail WHY it could NOT have been me who made this reservation. I could NOT have made the call to the hotel on the date & time she indicated. I knew several weeks in advance that I would be in Tennessee on that date - nowhere near this hotel. I never received ANY confirmation, either by phone or e-mail, from this hotel to alert me to this reservation. Therefore I was totally unaware this reservation had been made in my name using my credit card! Since she didn't have the authority to resolve this issue, she told me the manager would call me back soon.
A few days later the manager did call me back. I a very rude & confrontational tone, he argued why it MUST have been me that made this reservation. He insisted nobody at his hotel had done anything wrong, was NOT interested in hearing ANY of the reasons I gave as to why it couldn't have been me, and would not refund my no-show charge. VERY unprofessional behavior from this manager - definitley NOT the way to treat a customer or previous guest. I hung up on him. The corporate office's customer service dept. wasn't much help either - told me the hotel manager was the one who decided IF a refund would be granted. I finally had to go through my credit card company. Based on the reasons with supporting evidence I provided, successfully got a credit to my account from the credit card company for the entire amount in Jan. 2012!
Based on this incident, I will NOT stay here again and have blocked this hotel from using my credit card in the future.
IF you make a reservation at this hotel, do it through the company's official web site! IF you have stayed here in the past and used a credit card for payment, check your recent credit card statements for any unrecognized charges from this hotel. When you check in & out of this hotel, verify that the hotel staff is following ALL proper procedures for safeguarding your credit card from unauthorized use. Report ANY unauthorized charges by this hotel to your credit card company ASAP - let them know this has happened to at least 2 others so far!
This hotel SHOULD be following proper reservation procedures - verify the name, address, and credit card information for anyone they have on file who calls in a reservation.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank James W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Estes Park, Colorado
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Spacious, clean, quiet room. Great staff. Good high-speed internet. Great bed. Lighting not so good but that was the only negative.

• Stayed January 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This hotel is very nice and breakfasts were very god, with a nice selection to choose from.

There are three observations about this hotel, 1 the rooms are very dark, not enough lighting and light switches on lamps hard to find. 2. The handicapped room did not have a high toilet, not a walk-in shower, just the regular bathtub, which is not very helpful. We had requested a handicapped room, but from now on I would describe exactly what we need. 3. The refrigerator in the handicapped suite was much smaller (and the door wouldn't stay closed) than the one in the regular room.Staff was very understanding.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Call and talk to the hotel directly for what you want.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank blackhatter
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I check into this hotel the clerk was very helpful and full of information. As I check out I made arrangements. I notice my bank account was off and saw I was charge for a stay which I was no where near this state. I called serveral times and kept getting the run around. It seemed as if my name and issue was passed down from one shift to the next. I was told only the manager could refund me and he would called me. Its been 3 business days going on 4 and no phone call nor a refund. I would not recommand no one to stay here much less make arrangements where the clerks error becomes yours. I've never experience such unprofessional behavior.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Summer W
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed in the Holiday inn express for one night after attending a wedding. It was a bit noisy in the halls as other weddings and events concluded but when everyone got settled, it was fine. The room and bathroom were very spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable and I got a great night sleep. The clean room with complimentary internet an breakfast was a great deal for the money. I would choose to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank imawoogirl
Patuxent river
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel is nice and the stay is the best. I have passed this hotel often on my travels down route 17. I decided to stay for a quiet weekend getaway. I was pleasantly surprise, as I have never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. The room I stayed in (Executive Suite), was huge. I had a "kitchen" with a sink, microwave, and fridge. The king bed was quite comfortable it had a "sitting area" with a sleeper sofa. I had a very quiet stay, even though the hotel is next to a shopping center and walmart. It is a little difficult to get to, if you are not paying attention. The hotel staff is great!!! Very friendly at check in and check out. I was even called the night before my check-out to see how my stay was, and to see if I needed to make any future reservations. Breakfast is offered and it is a little more than your average free hotel breakfast...they served eggs, sausage, hash brown along with your normal continental type breakfast items. The only fault I can find is the pool was not as clean..when you enter the pool, it was debris floating everywhere..so much that we could not stay in. All in all, it was a very nice stay and I would most definitely stay again and recommend to anyone passing through.

Room Tip: Stay in the Executive Suite..you will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anissa73
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Updated HIE - no complaints. Easily the best place to stay in Tappahannock amongst the limited choices.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Neil I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tappahannock
Quality Inn
#3 of 4 in Tappahannock
Dollar Inn
Dollar Inn
#2 of 3 in Tappahannock

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tappahannock? Share your experiences!