“Completely worth the #1 Tripadvisor for this town”
Review of Essex Inn

Essex Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Tappahannock B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Ok so maybe there is not much competition in Tappahannock! In fact there is not much of anything in the area, BUT this Inn is beautiful! Lovingly and carefully restored several years ago you feel transported back to the grandeur of 1860's colonial (comfortable) living. The garden is really nicely done (and it was March!) I was the only "resident" and the hosts made me feel very regal and rather "Downton Abbey" especially breakfast for one which was divine home cooked lovely food served in the dining room with silver and the full works, coming up from "down stairs".
The bed was about 4 ft high and fit for a Prince. Spotless of course. So if you are travelling the area- look no further than the Essex Inn, it's a peach with real character and style. Pamper yourself.

Room Tip: Four colour themed rooms upstairs or there are 2 or 3 suites in the garden, which was the slaves qua...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Bob M, General Manager at Essex Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

It’s always a pleasure to welcome a guest from Great Britain and introduce them to our village on the Rappahannock. It was indeed unfortunate that you had such limited time here, arriving late afternoon and leaving early next morning. We have an historic walking tour with 13 homes and buildings dating back to the 1680’s, with a beautiful comprehensive museum just 1 block away. Tappahannock is the gateway to “The Pathway of the Patriots “ on the Northern Neck: George Washington’s birthplace and National Park, Robert E. Lee’s birthplace Stratford Hall, as well as the birthplace of 4 other presidents. In addition the area offers 17 museums, 14 wineries, nature preserves and parks, antiquing and exploring all the little historic towns, country roads and waterways. March is a very quiet month and restaurant possibilities are limited in the winter unfortunately, but the oysters and crabs abound here in season. If you are ever in this area again, please come and enjoy all the wonderful sites and foods that we have to offer.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I really enjoyed my weekend getaway here. We stayed in the red room, a beautifully done room with a very comfortable bed. The gas fireplace in the room was a nice accent, too. We enjoyed spending our afternoon on the screened in porch, having a glass of the complimentary wine. For breakfast, Janice cooked a wonderful meal and Bob served it gracefully. They were so nice! Tappahannock is a small, quaint town that was relaxing given how hectic life seems to have been lately. This Inn was right by the tiny historic district, with buildings dating back to the 1600s. I definitely recommend the Essex Inn! :)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2013

A gorgeous Georgian house - light, well maintained and spacious. But what makes this inn is the hospitality and the food. The breakfasts are as advertised - 3 course gourmet breakfasts. Absolutely the best I have ever had at an inn.

The innkeepers were helpful without being smothering. There when needed, but not when you wanted some peace and quiet.

An absolutely perfect stay!

Room Tip: The website has good descriptions.....can choose your favorite color! The beds are great - custom...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I went to stay at the Essex Inn for two nights when we planned the river cruise from Tappahannock to the Ingleside Winery on the Captain Thomas with our Parrothead group (this is also a wonderful day trip). We wanted to make a weekend stay and not have to drive home. What a great plan! We arrived around 6 p.m. on Friday and we were quickly shown our room- actually like an apartment with a full kitchen and living area. We were also told there was wine tasting and a great little shop "All About Wine" just a short walk away. We quickly went and met the friendly town folks and had dinner next door. Everything was so convenient and we walked down to the river and around the area which was beautiful. The two breakfasts we had were amazing! The innkeepers were so nice and helpful and the accommodations were great. We highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sheree G
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were looking for a quiet place to relax, off the beaten track - and this delicious B&B was just the ticket. We frequent B&Bs for most of our trips, so we're always pleased when an establishment exceeds expectations - the previous reviews are all right on track! Lovely inn hosts, exquisite furnishings, delightful gardens and an outstanding breakfast! Make a beaten track to the Essex House and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house - NOT recommended for stair-challenged guests. 10+ steps from the street...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I wanted just an overnight getaway to relax and what a great find was the Essex Inn in Tappahannock! The Inn itself is beautifully decorated and the innkeepers could not have been more gracious. We took a walking tour of downtown Tappahannock, which included a stroll down to the River and afterwards came back to the Inn for a beer for my husband and a glass of wine for me, out on the patio of the Inn, all complimentary. Our room was clean and very well decorated. The breakfast the next morning was a good as I have had anywhere, all served in a beautiful dining room. We will certainly return to the Essex Inn in the future and it is "new" favorite for sure!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Southerngal60
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the Essex Inn in Tappahannock, Virginia. I can't begin to convey what a peaceful sanctuary it was for me. It was thoughtfully and well appointed, very clean, the bed was to die for, the pillows perfect, plenty of towels and the kitchen had just what I needed to cook a quick breakfast. I know the Inn offers a lovely breakfast but I was never sure of my schedule and couldn't commit. I promised Innkeepers, Bob and Janice, that I would not miss breakfast next time - and there will be a next time! I stayed in the servants quarters - in 209 which I now plan on calling my "home away from home."

Room Tip: some of the servants quarters rooms have lovely little kitchens
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hockeymom016
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tappahannock
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tappahannock
#2 of 4 in Tappahannock
Days Inn Tappahannock
Days Inn Tappahannock
#3 of 4 in Tappahannock

Been to Essex Inn? Share your experiences!