Essex Inn
Budget Inn(Tappahannock)(Great Value!)
$50
Quality Inn(Warsaw)
$65
Riverview Inn - Colonial Beach(Colonial Beach)(Great Value!)
$99
Island Inn and Suites(Piney Point)(Great Value!)
$71
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsb bthe main housethe riverbutler's pantrybreakfast was deliciousnorthern neckwonderful hostsglass of winebed and breakfastother guestshome away from homemodern amenitieswe loved our staymiddle peninsulaelegant homehistorical sitesicing on the cake
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 2, 2013

A gorgeous Georgian house - light, well maintained and spacious. But what makes this inn is the hospitality and the food. The breakfasts are as advertised - 3 course gourmet breakfasts. Absolutely the best I have ever had at an inn.

The innkeepers were helpful without being smothering. There when needed, but not when you wanted some peace and quiet.

An absolutely perfect stay!

Room Tip: The website has good descriptions.....can choose your favorite color! The beds are great - custom made from 300 year old wood salvaged from piers.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I went to stay at the Essex Inn for two nights when we planned the river cruise from Tappahannock to the Ingleside Winery on the Captain Thomas with our Parrothead group (this is also a wonderful day trip). We wanted to make a weekend stay and not have to drive home. What a great plan! We arrived around 6 p.m. on Friday and we were quickly shown our room- actually like an apartment with a full kitchen and living area. We were also told there was wine tasting and a great little shop "All About Wine" just a short walk away. We quickly went and met the friendly town folks and had dinner next door. Everything was so convenient and we walked down to the river and around the area which was beautiful. The two breakfasts we had were amazing! The innkeepers were so nice and helpful and the accommodations were great. We highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sheree G
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were looking for a quiet place to relax, off the beaten track - and this delicious B&B was just the ticket. We frequent B&Bs for most of our trips, so we're always pleased when an establishment exceeds expectations - the previous reviews are all right on track! Lovely inn hosts, exquisite furnishings, delightful gardens and an outstanding breakfast! Make a beaten track to the Essex House and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house - NOT recommended for stair-challenged guests. 10+ steps from the street into the front hall then 2 flights up to the rooms. Carriage house is street level.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I wanted just an overnight getaway to relax and what a great find was the Essex Inn in Tappahannock! The Inn itself is beautifully decorated and the innkeepers could not have been more gracious. We took a walking tour of downtown Tappahannock, which included a stroll down to the River and afterwards came back to the Inn for a beer for my husband and a glass of wine for me, out on the patio of the Inn, all complimentary. Our room was clean and very well decorated. The breakfast the next morning was a good as I have had anywhere, all served in a beautiful dining room. We will certainly return to the Essex Inn in the future and it is "new" favorite for sure!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Southerngal60
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the Essex Inn in Tappahannock, Virginia. I can't begin to convey what a peaceful sanctuary it was for me. It was thoughtfully and well appointed, very clean, the bed was to die for, the pillows perfect, plenty of towels and the kitchen had just what I needed to cook a quick breakfast. I know the Inn offers a lovely breakfast but I was never sure of my schedule and couldn't commit. I promised Innkeepers, Bob and Janice, that I would not miss breakfast next time - and there will be a next time! I stayed in the servants quarters - in 209 which I now plan on calling my "home away from home."

Room Tip: some of the servants quarters rooms have lovely little kitchens
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family