“5 Stars again!!”
Review of Essex Inn

Essex Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Tappahannock B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I already wrote a review last year but we went back and it was so great I have to write another one. The Essex Inn is so amazing we've started to make it a tradition. We stayed in the main house this time and I was a little wary but it was wonderful. I love the little nook with a chaise upstairs. I've been gushing about the inn to everyone. This place is perfect.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Amanda S

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The inn is really lovely. The rooms are large and bright, the bed was very comfortable, and the furnishings are wonderful. Bob and Janice were very kind, friendly, and helpful from the moment we arrived. Breakfast was delicious. We highly recommend The Essex Inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine M
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We've just returned from a stay at the Essex Inn and I must share how wonderful it is. Gorgeous home, very relaxing, and the hosts really take care of you. Fun fact: this is where Reba stayed while filming a TV show about six months ago! I highly recommend this Inn!

Room Tip: ask for the room that Reba stayed in! :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank khotze
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I grew up in the Northern Neck and this is my first choice for a place to stay even though my family is almost 45 minutes away - it's simply the best! Rooms are lovely, bathrooms are good, breakfast is excellent (and they have a hospitality area for beer/wine/snacks), and you're almost right on the river. Good local restaurants - ask the hosts for recommendations. I like the main house best, although the family cats come in to visit which my husband doesn't like. He prefers the rooms in the building behind the main house, which are quiet and cat-free.

Room Tip: If you can get a room in the main house, do so! All rooms have character but these are the best - a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank time2travel_4_2
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I tried writing this review last month but for some reason it never showed on the site, so here we go again. The Essex Inn is amazing, and we will definitely be back! My boyfriend and I were celebrating our anniversary and we were B&B newbies so we figured something close to home would be a good first try. I cannot find words to explain how happy we were with the choice we made. The McGee's were the most gracious hosts and the house was beautiful. We also thoroughly enjoyed out room. We had the Upstairs Quarters, which had a full kitchen and a living room. It was so cozy and so nicely appointed. The bed was outstanding- we never really wanted to get out! The housekeeper was polite and the room was immaculate every time we returned. To go on, the breakfast....wow. The look and feel of the main house...wow. The roaring fire, the other guests chatting around it, wine and cheese out upon our arrival...I am gushing but with very good reason. Mrs. McGee even returned my call and gave me information about a wine we had while we were there that I had missed the name of. The Essex Inn is a gem and we cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We hosted an antique car tour in Virginia and chose this Inn for our central loaction. We were VERY pleased with the accomidations and first class hospitaliy we recieved. Bob and Janice, the innkeepers, went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and comfortable.
Attention to detalil was very evident and we felt right at home the entire visit. Our group of eight couples took over the entire Inn and it was wonderful to share time together in such pleasant surroundings. We felt like we were in our "home away from home" the entire three days we were guests. First class all the way!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank raholden
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed at the Essex in while on a historical tour road trip in Virginia. It's the perfect spot for touring some of the historical sites in the Northern Neck region of VA, and for touring the Chesapeake Bay wine trail. We stayed in the main house in the Green Room. Their website described this room as having a partial view of the river from one of the windows (you could not see the river at all over the rooftops of the neighboring homes). However, the room was nice and spacious. Bob and Janice, the innkeepers, were very gracious and accommodating when we unexpectedly needed to do some work while on our vacation and print some documents. The innkeepers serve a sweet snack in the afternoons and spring water, beer, wine, pretzels, and mixed nuts are available for the enjoyment of guests. The breakfast both days was delightful!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple