“Decent seafood but great cake!”

TO DO CAFE & SEAFOOD
Ranked #1 of 36 Restaurants in Tappahannock
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We read the rave reviews and made the trip to Tappahannock with high expectations. It is a little like eating in a shed with plywood on the walls and ceiling and a fake fireplace in the corner. A gigantic white board lists the daily specials. We ordered the seafood baskets ($9-$10). The oysters and scallops were good, not great, but good. The potato salad and cole slaw are made in house and are good. In fact, they are so much like homemade that I found myself a little bit disappointed that they weren't better than something I could make myself. Hush puppies have too much onion in them for my liking.
At our waitress's recommendation, we had a huge slice of Heath Bar cake ($4.99) she had made this morning. It was excellent! Moist chocolate cake with chocolate chips and bits of Heath Bar with a chocolate cream cheese icing topped with crushed Heath Bars. The cake was the highlight of the meal and enough to make me go back and try a burger and another piece of cake.

2  Thank jackandtara

Reviewed May 27, 2012

.........to go back again. Everything that has been written by other reviewers is true. The owners, waitresses, customers treat you just like family. The food was delicious and we were welcomed like we had been here many times. This was our first time and definitely will not be our last. This is how all restaurants should be. Thanks for a great meal.

1  Thank JohnLucy
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Must admit I was a little nervous about eating here at first...but that nervousness disappeared with the great customer attention the staff paid us! The seafood is fresh and cooked deliciously! Try the special made house blend hot sauce! I think is called Eric's sauce made fresh by the cook...yum! They should consider bottling it for tourists ;)...overall: I LOVED THIS PLACE!! I plan on returning whenever im in the area!

3  Thank jaijai1977
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I recommend the fried oysters. Outstanding! Seasoned and cooked to perfection. Friendly service and family oriented. We will be back.

2  Thank bdinnab
Reviewed April 21, 2012

From the handwritten specials on the big blackboard, to the old time cooler case with the pies on a rack and bottles of white wine laying on their side, the special blackboard of burgers that probably number at least 10 different variations, this is the classic place every tourist looks for. This is classic casual dining that kicks butt. The cook, waitress, and even the people who were eating in there struck up conversation with us. Fried oysters absolutely the best we've ever had, the shrimp platter, really good as well. Prices were very reasonable and again, if you want to feel like a regular, it's not tough to do in the TO DO Cafe. We're staying in the area for a month, and this is the one place we agree deserves a return visit. Hit it if you are in Tappahannock, just bring your 'country charm' with ya and have a good time.

3  Thank TexasBaskets