“A real down home type place.”

TO DO CAFE & SEAFOOD
Ranked #1 of 36 Restaurants in Tappahannock
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed April 21, 2012

From the handwritten specials on the big blackboard, to the old time cooler case with the pies on a rack and bottles of white wine laying on their side, the special blackboard of burgers that probably number at least 10 different variations, this is the classic place every tourist looks for. This is classic casual dining that kicks butt. The cook, waitress, and even the people who were eating in there struck up conversation with us. Fried oysters absolutely the best we've ever had, the shrimp platter, really good as well. Prices were very reasonable and again, if you want to feel like a regular, it's not tough to do in the TO DO Cafe. We're staying in the area for a month, and this is the one place we agree deserves a return visit. Hit it if you are in Tappahannock, just bring your 'country charm' with ya and have a good time.

3  Thank TexasBaskets

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I dont know what else to say other than the food and service was fantastic

2  Thank Brent E
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We travel from MD to Williamsburg, VA every year and Tappahannock is usually a good place to stop for lunch. We've eaten at at several places in the Tappahannock area in the past and checked TripAdvisor to read reviews before stopping this time. After reading the excellent reviews of the To Do Cafe, which was new to us, we decided to try it. We couldn't have been more pleased.

The food, service, and overall friendliness of the owners and employees were top notch. The To Do Cafe is relatively new (approx. 18 months old when we stopped by) and one or both of the owners, Bob and Diane Lentz, are always there and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The food, as other reviewers have noted, is almost entirely home made and excellent. My wife and I both ordered the same things: a cup of homemade bean soup to start and Oyster Po' Boy sandwiches for our main course, which came with a side dish. Oyster season in the area was just getting underway and the Lentz's get all of their oysters and crabs locally. The Po'Boys were excellent and had a very generous portion of well prepared oysters, more than I've had elsewhere, and the homemade coleslaw that came with mine was first rate. My wife chose butterbeans for her side and said they were delicious. We had no room for desert but the homemade pies were very tempting. And as other reviewers have mentioned, the prices are great.

We plan to return to the To Do Cafe whenever we are passing through Tappahannnock and highly recommend it.

One note: the address is 1008 Church Lane and I'm not sure if Church Lane is the same as Route 17, the main road through Tappahannock, but the To Do Cafe is definately on Route 17 although it sits back a little from the road. It's on the right side of the road if you are heading North on 17.

3  Thank lusby
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I really like this place a lot. I've stopped here several times when I've had a craving for seafood while traveling along US17. They have a great selection of inexpensive fresh seafood baskets (shrimp, clams, oysters, scallops, and four or five types of fish) that include fries and hush puppies. I'm partial to the clam strip basket, but the fried shrimp and flounder come in a close second and third. My wife likes their crab cake sandwich, and their clam chowder and crab soup are good too. If you're looking to have a bigger meal, you can order all of the baskets as entrees, which come with a couple of sides. If you're traveling with folks who aren't seafood fans, they can order a burger, any of a number of different sandwiches, or even a steak. Oh, almost forgot, you can get a beer too.

2  Thank readem
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Visited the restaurant based on previous reviews I read on Tripadvisor. My husband and I loved both the atmosphere and food. I ordered the all-you-can shrimp and clam strips special and my husband ordered a salad and buffalo wings. We both loved our food - everything was fresh and was served in a timely manner. Atmosphere was very homey with both regular and new customers alike. Everyone made sure our food was made exactly how we liked it and offered to make it again to our liking if it wasn't right but we had no complaints. Husband ordered Key Lime Pie - which we both loved. The restaurant even makes their own deserts. The owner, Diane makes everyone feel at home and goes out of her way to make sure her customers are satisfied. LOVED the homemade tartar and cocktail sauces and the hushpuppies.. Will definitely visit again when in the area.

2  Thank Lan Michelle T