“Warm Welcome Here”
Review of Bay View Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tangier Island
Bay View Inn
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Everything on Tangier Island is on the pricey side. Do not expect luxurious accomodations any where on the island. However, the island is composed of salt of the earth folk who are largely patriotic, unashamedly Christian, and friendly.
At the Bay View Inn, we stayed in room 6. The window air conditioner was a noisy window unit. I didn't mind that because it was like a white noise background to sleep by. The shower/bathroom was tiny and the decor was dated. There was a working refrigerator, microwave, and dish TV in the room. The room was very clean. The owners, Jim and Maureen, are delightful people. They did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable. Breakfast was outstanding and we were encouraged to eat all we wanted. We were served homemade blueberry muffins with fresh blueberries, crisp bacon, fruit, french toast, eggs to order juice and coffee. Jim personally goes to the mainland to pick out the freshest food and is picky about what he serves his guest.
Jim and Maureen took over the inn a little less than a year ago. They have worked hard to make improvements.
I enjoyed the gliders and swings on the grounds. They were in the shade and delightful places to sit and take in the views. There are also raised viewing areas with seating to enjoy a bay view. The grounds are well maintained. The inn sits on the back end of the island. I liked that because it wasn't crowded with tourists and turned out to be a peaceful spot. I would definitely go back there again. I admire the owners and their aim to please. Yes, it is pricey, but I didn't mind supporting a mom and pop business who were like home folk.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank urlookingood

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Whenever I feel stress building up, I call my friend up to tell her I need my "Tangier Island Anti-stress Pill." The "pill" is a trip to picturesque Tangier Island and to a most welcoming inn, the Bay View Inn on Tangier.

My friend and I just came back from our third trip to the Bay View Inn. The hosts are just about the nicest and most accommodating people you could meet. They will happily pick you up and drop you off at the ferry landing. Their checkout is at 11:00, but my friend and I like to walk or bike around until the ferry comes in the afternoon, so our hosts kindly bring our luggage to us and drop it off at the ferry dock before it leaves! They make a hearty breakfast and have ample supplies of good strong coffee. They will even make seconds for you if you - like us - have worked up an appetite from exploring the island the day before!

This is not a fancy place. The rooms are simple and very low-key to match the atmosphere of the island. There is no TV, and normally no cell or internet comnection, as is the case for most of the island. The beauty of Tangier Island is it's simplicity. It truly is a place where my friend and I can leave it all behind. There are no airs here. Dress code throughout the island is casual. The two places that have dinner close at 6:00 pm, I believe. Both have simple, but good fare. It is a small island. You can walk or bike anywhere, or take a go-cart if you like (adults and teenagers alike get a real kick out this). As you amble about and talk with folks you will hear the islanders unique accent, but you will hear it most when they talk to each other.

In our opinion, the prize possession of this place - and I hesitate to write this down here for fear of spoiling it - is the beach. I have been to many parts of the world known for its beaches, and I have to say, this is the prettiest one I have ever seen. There are two reasons for this. One, there are no houses or buildings here, and there never will be, because whole area is unbuildable. The second is that is LONG! We like to walk, and you can walk a good two to three miles one way on this beach until you reach the spit that is underwater at most tides. If you choose to wade along the rest of it until you can walk no more, you will run into the large colony of pelicans that live there and who will happily move off it while you visit.

Other attractions on the island? The water here is super clear for the Chesapeake. You can see through the little waves as they crest. Sunsets are unparalleled! They have a cool museum on the island. And they have lots of aquatic wildlife. We have seen snakes, crabs (this last trip we saw them fighting each other underwater), rockfish, and beautiful sea and marsh birds of many types. Note: bring bug spray or buy on the island for the "insect" birds, especially if there won't be a breeze!

So, if you like simplicity, you enjoy exploring, and you are looking for someplace just a little place different, then Tangier Island and the Bayview Inn will be right up your alley!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank BeachnikAtHeart
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The family who owns the property is very friendly and helpful. However, i would ot recommend staying more than one light due to the lack of activities on the island.

One issue:The description of the hotel and island I was given by the owner was a bit misleading and exaggerated. The rooms could not be considered to be "cabins" (like the owner indicated) by any stretch of the imagination to be cabins. They are small and tackily (to my taste) decorated rooms in a long connected string somewhat reminiscent of a strip motel. The beaches were described (correctly) as picturesque, but the owner failed to mention the plagues of horse flies that inhabit them. Also, not sure why this was, but the water smells horridly and feels like oil, making showering and brushing your teeth a more difficult task than it should ever be. All in all, I wish the owner hadn't been so in love with the place, because I did leave wondering whether he was being disingenuous or just really wanted it to be perfect to the point of not seeing defects.

The Bay View Inn is mostly, if not totally, limited by the limits of Tangier Island. Food selection is poor and overpriced. I was there at the height of crab season and struggled to get good, fresh crab. The prices were high, at least in part because it is difficult and expensive to transport goods from the mainland. But 10.99 for one soft shelled crab between two pieces of wonder bread? Overall, it's ok for a one night stay. A canoing trip is great, especially if you are in to bird watching (you'll still be amazed by the diversity of fauna even if not) Rent a bike and see the entire island in (no joke) about 30 minutes.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank A C
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Lodging choices on Tangier are limited to B&Bs, so we threw the dice and landed at the Bay View Inn. This is not luxury accommodations, so don't show up expecting it. The rooms are smallish and utilitarian. Some rooms are undergoing renovations which I hope will extend to the entire property. With only one small window, they can be dank. Baths are small and the shower stall is meager. There is a need for carpet cleaning and some new mattresses. We think our room must be on the rehab list as it had hole patches and a need for repainting. The breakfast the next morning was tasty, and the people who own it go out of their way to be nice and accommodating. We will return next year hoping for a winter spent on fixing up.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SidelineObservant
Reviewed August 11, 2012

A very comfortable place to stay with friendly hosts; they pick you up at the dock and return you there when you leave (although out lift was delayed so the host kindly drove us). Our room in a cottage was small, but comfortable and nicely cold on a very hot day with a microwave and fridge and DirectTV. Excellent breakfast omelet, fruit, and muffin.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank kikis
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Tangier Island is located in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay 20 miles from Reedville, Virginia or 15 miles from Crisfield, Maryland. The island is accessible only by ferry, private boat or air (small landing strip for private aircraft). During summer months ferries run from Reedville, Virginia (10:00 AM daily May to September - reservations recommended), and Crisfield, Maryland (12:30 PM daily May to October). The trip is approximately 90 minutes and provides a relaxing start to your stay. Cold drinks and snacks are available on board. One note of caution: there are no banks or ATM machines on Tangier and most establishments do not take credit cards. Bring cash!!! Prices are moderate in the restaurants and shops.

The Bay View Inn is situated on the west side of Tangier adjacent to the airstrip and a moderate walk from the restaurant and business district of the island. The Inn was recently purchased by the current innkeepers Maureen and Jim and their son David. As we had reservations, David met us at the pier and gave us a familiarization tour of the island on our way to the Inn. The Bay View Inn consists of several properties including the oldest residence on the island, a cluster of out-lying suites, and a separate two bedroom house. All have terrific views of the Chesapeake Bay. The property offers elevated decks and gardens where guests can relax and soak in the sun or watch a variety of sea birds in the marsh land stretching out to the coast. Accomodations are clean and attractive with comfortable bedding. Our unit had a very small bathroom and a shower very similar to one found on a cruise ship inside cabin. Breakfast was excellent with eggs to order, fried potatoes, choice of meats, toast or muffins and juice. Maureen and Jim were gracious hosts and made us feel like a part of the family.

The Bay View Inn is a work in progress as Maureen, Jim, and David put their own flavors on a property that has long served island visitors. My wife and I hope to spend many more mini-vacations with them to check on thier journey and share thier successes.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank EasyEight22407
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was planning my vacation about 2 months ago, when my husband out of the blue said "I have always wanted to go to Tangier Island". Thus the hunt was on..... I figured Tangier Island, WOW... and in my mind thought "The Bahama's" only Virginia Island style. So I commenced to search out information and accomodations, to my surprise It was totally opposite of what I was looking for. To make him happy, I said ok and took care of all of the details. We decided on the Bay View Inn on Tangier. You can not take your vehicle to the island so best "RESERVE A GOLF CART" if you do not want to walk alot. The Inn is very clean, comfortable and quite. If you need anything the owners are right there to accomodate you. The breakfast was great and each morning we were greeted with a smile and "what would you like for breakfast"? Our choices were eggs, bacon, red and sweet potato medley which was delicious, blueberry or banana muffins (homemade) Toast...(white or wheat.. You could choose waffles or pancakes. Fresh orange juice. All was excellent, fresh and cooked to our liking. The host of the Inn were very cordial, attentive and amiable. I am so looking forward to our next visit to the island. I did not want to leave.
Clive & Vickie Essex

Somers Cove Motel
Somers Cove Motel
#2 of 4 in Crisfield
The Charlotte Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Bay View Inn? Share your experiences!