“A beautiful Historical Old Building and grounds”
Review of Bacon's Castle

Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Surry
More attraction details
Owner description: The Castle provides Guided Tours, Gift Shopping, & Tourist Information on Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays between 10 a.M. And 5 p.M. And Sundays between 12 and 5 p.M. Grounds are open 365 days a year between dawn and dusk. Built in 1665, Bacon's Castle, originally known as the Arthur Allen Brick House, is British North America's oldest brick structure, North America's only surviving example of Jacobean Architecture, and has North America's oldest, preserved 17th-century English Formal Garden. Since 1973, Preservation Virginia restores, preserves, and presents the 40-acre historic site as a museum. The Site has a gift shop, restrooms, tourist information desk, guided house tours, Oldest Tidewater Virginia Barn (early-18th-century), 1850s Smokehouse, 1829/1849 Slave Quarters, and self-guided grounds and garden tours. Preservation Virginia's Bacon's Castle is proud to announce it is a Virginia Green certified Attraction and encourages others to participate in responsible practices. The grounds are accessible 364 days of the year between dawn and dusk.
Elberon, VA
“A beautiful Historical Old Building and grounds”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

"Bacon's Castle is a family-friendly attraction for children of all ages. This is a great site for people who love old architecture and ancient gardens."

Bacon’s Castle has a colorful, rich history. Because, of Surry County’s open fields, and quite atmosphere visiting Bacon's Castle has a feeling of traveling back in time.
If you are a person who loves trees and birds, believe me this is the place.
You ghost lovers the "Lady in Blue" may join you or the fire ball may fly over your head.
I truly like Bacon’s Castle. Surry County is the Place to visit.

Visited June 2012
Todd B, Manager at Bacon's Castle, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Good Afternoon, Judy J.

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Preservation Virginia's Bacon's Castle in Surry County, Virginia. We welcome children of all ages to visit and enjoy the 40-acre historic site for picnicking, attending special events, and exploring the 9,000 square feet of the ancient house. We hope to see you again soon. Please follow us on PreservationVirginia.org and on Facebook to learn how to register to attend our by-registration and general admission special events.

Carrollton, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fascinating First-Hand History on Sunday 5/12/13”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Upon my arrival to the east coast two weeks ago, I happened upon Bacon's Castle just off my route. Its appearance alone piqued my interest, so I returned the following week during open hours for a tour. Bacon’s Castle did not disappoint. To my delight, in addition to the welcoming and knowledgeable staff the history presented was rich and intriguing. The tour itself was fascinating, detailing the homes as originally intended, with heavily Flemish influenced architecture as well as the intricacies of how the home has been updated since. Bacon's Castle is a living experiment of sorts, proving or disproving decades, neigh centuries of "updating tactics". (As a carpenter’s daughter this experiment was of particular personal interest to me.) Some proved successful, while others, though well intentioned, did not stand the test of time . (ie: successfully splicing wooden beams in order to save original woods or unsuccessfully using Portland Cement to rebind bricks too soft for such an application.) Bacon’s Castle stands as a visual representation of shifting standard practices in the professions of architecture and construction in the area over hundreds of years, which is a rarity to see.
The fact that this property was central to so many important events in history is only one of the many reasons that Bacon's Castle should be preserved and cherished. The guide for my tour, Todd, was informative, eloquent and entertaining. It was refreshing to listen to the history of a place from someone who spoke with such passion.
I will be returning to Bacon's Castle to learn more about the area and look forward to sharing it with as many people as possible! Thank you for such a wonderful, memorable experience!

Visited May 2013
Todd B, Manager at Bacon's Castle, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Good Afternoon, Lauren L.

Thank you for your recent review of Preservation Virginia's Bacon's Castle in Surry County, Virginia. I remember both you and your husband's visit on Sunday and look forward to hosting a future visit. I invite you both to follow us on Facebook and PreservationVirginia.org to learn of future special events and how to register to attend.

See you again soon!

Yorktown, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Informative and interesting!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We went to Bacon's Castle to take pictures of the grounds (no photography inside) with our DSLR camera and although we couldn't take pictures inside LOVED the tour! Since we went in the offseason, our tour turned out to be a private one and our guide was excellent! We even had questions that couldn't be answered at the time and she took our email address and emailed us the answers! That's what I call a great guide! She said she even enjoyed the questions because it'd be knowledge she'd have for future tours. We absolutely loved our time there! I love seeing old houses and my husband loves history. So while he took pictures of the grounds, all I could think about was how I'd love to live there and what I'd do to each part! The original house was my FAVORITE! If you like history, houses, or inexpensive tours, I HIGHLY reccomend it. Plus, there are other historical sites close by!

Visited March 2013
Todd B, Manager at Bacon's Castle, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Good Morning, MeishaBellaflores.

Thank you for your recent review of Preservation Virginia's Bacon's Castle. We are very proud of our docents and the initiatives they take to bring superb customer service experiences to all of our visitors. We are happy to learn of how our docent satisfied your needs. We invite you to follow us on Facebook and PreservationVirginia.org to learn of upcoming special events and how to register for each.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Richmond, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lovely Site”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

A few weeks ago, my wife and I visited Bacon's Castle. If you're looking for a Jacobean house to visit in the U.S., this is the one you want to visit. Not only is it a beautiful house, but the tour guides are great. We highly recommend a visit.

Visited March 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Todd B, Manager at Bacon's Castle, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Good Morning, Dave E.

Thank you for your recent review of Preservation Virginia's Bacon's Castle. We are very proud of our docents and are happy to learn you enjoyed their tour. Bacon's Castle remains North America's only surviving example of Jacobean architecture and glad you found us! Please follow us on Facebook and PreservationVirginia.org in order to learn more about special events and how to register to attend the special registration events.

See you again soon.

Elgin, Illinois
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“Not as good as Smith's Fort but, OK”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Our guide was clearly put out that this house had gone through renovations since c 1720. Too bad a whole new wing was added and windows were moved.. things like this. We had come from Smith's Fort and found this house much more empty and less interesting. It was OK but most rooms were barren (cost issues). If you are in Surry already, and you have an hour, pit is worth a stop but, see Smith's Fort if you have to choose.

Visited May 2013
Todd B, Manager at Bacon's Castle, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Good Evening, Tom R.

Thank you for your recent review of Preservation Virginia's Bacon's Castle. I enjoyed hosting you and your wife earlier today and remember your visit. I was honored to provide you both your tour of the Castle. We celebrate the nearly 350 years of history at Bacon's Castle and how the Site has changed over the centuries. I am pleased to read you had a fantastic tour of Smith's Fort Plantation, a sister property of Preservation Virginia's Bacon's Castle, also in Surry County. We are very proud of all historic sites of Preservation Virginia. I hope you follow Bacon's Castle on Facebook to learn of our upcoming events.

Bacon's Castle

Been to Bacon's Castle? Share your experiences!