“To call this place "amazing" is simply not enough.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Vintage Tavern

Vintage Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Vintage Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 146 Restaurants in Suffolk
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bridge Road / Route 17
Description: Now open since April, 2006, Vintage Tavern at Governor's Point is owned by Brian and Teresa Mullins. Located in the hunting and fishing community of Northern Suffolk, Virginia the restaurant features 'Seasonally Southern' fare. The menu highlights the best of local and regional Southern dishes and recreates them with authenticity and passion. We are committed to maintaining the food history and culture that makes our community so special. Other features include a dramatic open kitchen, two dining areas both with fireplaces, an outdoor fire pit, outdoor dining on the covered veranda and a 400 plus selection wine list. The perfect place to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or any special occasion. Voted #1 by Hampton Roads magazine 2012 Platinum Plate Awards. Recognized by Open Table as one of America's Top 50 Restaurants in 2009 and 2010, and by Sante magazine for Wine Hospitality in 2010.
Jacksonville
“To call this place "amazing" is simply not enough.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is, by far, one of the top 20 best meals I have ever had at a restaurant. The food is amazing, the service was among the best I have seen, and the whole experience was well worth the money spent.

Every time I travel to Virginia, I will make sure that this is one of my stops while in the area. You would be better for it if you did the same!

• Visited June 2014

“I have never been treated so poorly !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been going to this restaurant for a couple years. My son just got back from Afghanistan a marine. We decided that we would treat him and his wife to a nice dinner. We were treated like trash. The manager needs to be fired ! I hope you read this Brian Mullins ! I have never been so embarrassed in my life !

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank Christian P
Suffolk, Virginia
“Very Very Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went to VT for our Anniversary and it was great. The building itself is very attractive and the service was great without being obtrusive. We ordered the Southern Sampler Appetizer which was very diverse and delicious having a large pile of country ham, various pickled items, deviled eggs, and pimento cheese. For dinner I had the ribeye and it was a very good cut cooked perfectly. My wife had the filet and really enjoyed it. We also ordered the mushrooms and they were wonderful. We will definitely go back. Cost wise, its upper end for this area. Dinner for 2 with a couple drinks / 2 desserts and tip was slightly north of 200. Highly recommend for special occasion or business dinner.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank BudLeary
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Very disappointed in our visit to the Vintage Tavern, which has been a "special occasion" choice in the past.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Four family members and a guest went to the Vintage Tavern for Easter dinner. Over the years, we have enjoyed going to this restaurant. I have left "excellent" reviews in the past. It is normally for a special occasion. It is very pricey, but the ambiance, staff and food has always been worth the extra cost.

Unfortunately, this go-round, none of us were impressed. The food was "average" at best. I have never had such unflavorable baby back ribs or macaroni and cheese ever. They looked, tasted and even smelled like Lloyd's pre-cooked ribs. Their mac 'n cheese would have been put to shame by Stouffer's; it was that bad. My husband chose the leg of lamb and found it underwhelming. Two ordered the gumbo as an entree. They enjoyed it, but found the serving quite small. My mother ordered the tuna and found it good.

For the prices charged, we want to go, "wow!". Nothing we ate evoked this sentiment. I prefer not to eat out if the food is going to be average, especially at a high-end establishment. I was somewhat embarrassed that I had gone on and on about the food to our guest prior to arriving.

The service was very good as usual.

Maybe it was an off-day. I don't know, but I don't expect we'll return to find out.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Egret1986061
Smithfield, Virginia
“Southern Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is a great place to get out for an informal dinner that never disappoints. We generally sit in the bar area and meet and greet friends. The bar can get crowded at times. We like the expanded menu in the bar as some items are not available in the main dining room. Suzanne and the whole staff always treat us very well.

• Visited March 2014