“Sapporo was a pleasant surprise!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 145 Restaurants in Suffolk
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Virginia
“Sapporo was a pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

We went to the Sapporo Japanese Steakhouse while exploring the downtown area of Suffolk. The staff was very friendly and inviting. The food extremely fresh and very good! We had a few negatives with the chef, although he was very nice but new. He forgot our shrimp appetizer, and I was surprised that the owner did nothing to make up for that. Maybe taking off the extra $1.00 they charge for fried rice would have satisfied us. Also, it took a VERY long time for the chef to come to our grill. There were only two working, and a table who was seated after us was served first. The last negative was that the other four people at the table ordered their fried rice a special way, without vegetables. Because of their special request our rice was served without vegetables and was bland because of this.

I had the California rolls and Hibachi shrimp. My husband had the Hibachi Chicken. The rolls were incredibly fresh, as was all of the food. The waitress was very nice and attentive. The prices were better than most area Japanese steakhouses. We will definitely go back and give it another try, hoping that their chef has gained some experience, and that they are well staffed for our visit. If they fix the chef issue, I would give them 5 stars!

richmond, va
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Service and Delicious Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2009

My husband and I have a tradition of going to Japanese Steakhouses for New Years Eve. We recently relocated to Suffolk and tired Sapporo Steakhouse this year -- and we were not disappointed! The food was delicious and the service was incredible. Even on a busy night, we were quickly seated and got our food very soon after we sat down. The restaurant has amazing views of the Nansemond River throughout the building, which would be even more beautiful on a summer evening. My husband and I were both very pleased and will definitely be going back in 2010 (and not just for New Year's Eve).

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vterniecb11
Virgnia
“A delicious, fun experience- and for a fairly low price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

I discovered Sapporo through the raving reviews of my friends, and, with a few others, went to try it myself. Sapporo has both hibachi and traditional Japanese meals, as well as a wide range of delicious, cheap sushi. We often go for lunch; you can get an appetizer, chicken hibachi (which comes with a generous portion of rice and vegetables as well as a cup of miso soup), and 8 pieces of sushi for less than $20. Although your greeter is less than warm, the actual hibachi chefs are fun and entertaining. The food is prepared quickly- I don't think I've ever had a negative experience. Dinner at Sapporo is more expensive, with hibachi starting around $15. If you're looking for a fun place to eat for a birthday or just a casual meal with friends, Sapporo is the perfect choice.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Annandale, NJ
“A little embarassing.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2008

Agree with previous reviewer. Dumb staff, poorly run business. I am easy, but they somehow found ways to screw up the most basic elements of Japanese hibachi/Teppanyaki dining. Don't go there.

Gatesville, North Carolina
“Stuck in the middle...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

Tonight, 02/16/2008, I made the trip north for dinner with friends. I'm a person who enjoys eating sushi and Japanese cuisine. Friends had eaten at Sapporo Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi. They enjoyed it enough to invite me to come with them. I heard from things from other past patrons but went and tried it for myself. Some of the things I've heard were ok... most on the negative side. I figured I'd try it for myself.

For those of you not familiar with Japanese Steakhouses, you sit around a "U" shaped table. You choose your selection from the menu. The chef comes out and cooks your meal along with the others sitting at your table. The chefs usually do tricks and a show while cooking your meal. There is usually a sushi bar and chef in some part of the restaurant. At Sapporo, they are located in the front on the left and a bar on the right.

When I arrived, my party had already been seated. When we joined them, the waitress came over, gave us our menus and took our drink orders. More on the wait staff later. Drinks came and we ordered our sushi appetizers. Friends ordered a Flaming Volcano for 2 drink. Our chef came out and the show started. He was entertaining and kept all at the table laughing. Overall he was the highlight of the meal.

Now back to the wait staff. Our waitress, she only came to the table and checked on everyone and drinks. I could tell she really really wasn't enthused about being there. She was all over the dining room taking care of ALL guest. At times, seemed like she was the only one doing so. With about 10 people at each grill, and about 6-8 grills and a packed restaurant, they could definably use more help. I never got offered a refill until they bought people from behind the sushi bar to help with serving. My friends enjoyed their Flaming Volcano. They then ordered a drink called a Love Potion. It took a good 10 minutes for them to get their drink. When it came to table, my friends took a sip and popped back saying "WOW thats sugary." I had to try it... it was so thick and syrupy... it ended up getting passed around the table for people to try it. It was so thick and sweet, no one could drink it. Lucky for us the waitress came back and took the drink of the bill. Speaking of bills. Everyone at the table for their checks at the same time. I ended up waiting 30 minutes just to get my bill. Took me calling the waitress to the table and having to request my bill.

Overall, the food was okay... not the best... but not bad. The service could seriously use some more help. You can't have a restaurant with just a few waiters. Also, I would suggest for weekend diners, you get there early. Around 7PM, there was a large group of people having to stand in the sushi/bar area just waiting to get a table at the grills. It would be great for a group of friends going out for a good time, or from someone who hasn't been to a Japanese steakhouse. I would definably look else where though. There are other Japanese restaurants in Suffolk to try. Don't limit yourself. Ask locals for there opinions and suggestions... most people will be more than happy to share there knowledge and opinions.

4 Thank Toolride

Been to Sapporo Japanese Steak HSE? Share your experiences!