“Great deal, very comfortable rooms”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Suffolk
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Suffolk
“Great deal, very comfortable rooms”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel is very nice, although not fancy. It is cheaper than the Hilton down the road, but the rooms here are much nicer. There is no restaurant, but there is a small strip mall next door with several options.

The rooms are very nice, with a sitting area as well as the usual desk and beds. The bathrooms are bigger and newer feeling than the Hilton, and the sheets are very nice a soft (they are scratchy at the Hilton).

The free breakfast has some good options- I liked the pancake machine, coffee and the small containers of Greek yogurt, all available for free starting at 5:30 which is great.

Room Tip: I was right above the pool and right next to the elevator- it wasn't a big deal but I did hear s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Vermont, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed for about a week and experienced the usual Holiday Inn quality. Room was clean and kept that way. Towels, soaps, etc all replaced the next day with only one exception. Comfortable bed & pillows (2 soft & firm pillows for each of us). Big screen TV worked fine. Front desk staff courteous, efficient and helpful. Breakfast was fine for the most part. When there are a lot of guests you may have to wait a bit for food replacements, but not too long. Eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, french toast, pancakes, muffins, bagels, yogurt, bananas, coffee, juice. Only negatives were a slow elevator and a grumpy breakfast server (one day only on a busy day). We'd stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Stokesdale, North Carolina
Reviewed July 2, 2014

2 flat screen TV's, a real gas firplace, the quietest sleep I've ever had in a motel, everything worked, we stay 3 days & will be back next year for the same event & stay at the very same place......O how this was a great pick to spend the night.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the largest, sunniest on the east side, breakfast was so so & go for the top fl...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Little Elm, Texas
Reviewed June 30, 2014

It was a great location. Had a little problem getting fridge to work, no fans in the bathroom but overall was a pleasant stay.
Checking in was a breeze and John and Paul were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Suffolk, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Lisa K,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry some aspects of our hotel were not to your liking. I am pleased that our staff was able to offset this displeasure with great service. I was glad to hear you did appreciate our great location.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Jaime W
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I checked in to Room 127 at the Suffolk, VA., Holiday Inn Express on Wednesday, 18 June 2014 about 9:00 P.M. I was supposed to be there through the morning of 26 June.  y.

Sometime on Saturday, 21 June, the lights in the bathroom stopped working.  I discovered that upon returning to the hotel after 7:00 PM that day. No lights.  Period.  Made it a  little hard to use the toilet.    I reported that to the  desk by phone.  I was told that nothing could be done as the housekeeping staff was gone for the day.  I was told to call the desk again in the morning.

It wasn't fun using the toilet down the corridor on the first floor across from the meeting room.  It really wasn't fun having to haul my insulin and syringes down there Saturday night, twice on Sunday, and on Monday, so as to be able to take my diabetes medication and measure  out the doses in accurate fashion in a room where I had both running water for cleanup and light by which to see. As a male 67 year old insulin dependent diabetic, I have certain symptoms, even when my sugars are in good control. Polyuria is one of those. Frequent urination. Multiple trips up and down the hallway to a bathroom with light. I wasn't about to try urinating in the dark bathroom, and nailing the floor rather than the toilet.

Now, Tidewater Virginia is often a bit humid and hot, and a shower before bed – as well as a shower in the morning – is always welcome. I just don't go stepping in and out of bath tubs with no “non skid” on the bottoms in the dark, nor do I try to adjust water temperatures in the dark, either. Basic safety concerns. So off to bed without a shower.

Early Sunday morning, 22 June, showerless again, I went to the desk and reported the issue to the very young lady  on duty.  l got a blank stare for about 2 minutes, and then the desk lady said that she would have to talk to someone.  She left the desk area, going into a  back room,  and returned about 5 minutes later with an older woman.  The older woman said that she was in charge of housekeeping; there were no maintenance people on duty on Sunday, and that I might want to move a  side lamp from the bed area into the bathroom.  The older lady said that while she was head of housekeeping, she couldn't deal with lights, but that the problem would be fixed Monday morning. The younger lady, the front desk person, stood there silent while I was being given this information. It sure would have been nice to be able to shower Sunday morning,

No offer to have housekeeping move the lamps; no offer of another room; no nothing, other than a "Its not my problem; fix it yourself “ attitude from each staff member I encountered. I moved a table lamp from beside the bed, into the bathroom after having to spend about 6 minutes on the floor on hands and knees untying the lamp cord from the side table leg, where the lamp cord was repeatedly wrapped around and knotted several times. I can only presume that management ties up the lamps to the table legs to deter ….something...maybe lamp theft?

On Monday, 23 June, I went out to do various things with the relatives I was visiting in the area. Well after 1:00 P.M. on Monday, 23 June I returned to the room. Still no lights in the bathroom, other than the weak bulb in the table lamp I had moved in there. Nothing had been fixed. Now well into the third day of this farce, and the bathroom lights still don't function.

Back to the front desk again on 23 June and raised heck. Indifference from yet another very young female desk clerk. Left the lobby area, went back to my room, and fired up the laptop and E mailed each of Expedia (reservations package); the office at the Suffolk holiday Inn, which was listed on their web site; and Holiday Inn corporate. Then I returned to relatives' for dinner. Returned from the relatives' about 9:30 PM on 23 June and the bathroom lights were working.

To me, its obvious that the front desk people with whom I dealt about this problem did not properly escalate the problem within their organization to get this stuff resolved. I can't fathom why not. Poor quality employees, unable or unwilling to communicate simple maintenance issues to upper management or to actual maintenance people.

The pool at the site was drained on 18 June 2014 when I arrived. Apparently some maintenance being done on that. While eating breakfast on Thursday 19 June I watched two fellows working on the pool. Saw them again while eating breakfast on 20 June. Never saw them thereafter. Pool remained empty and unusable through 24 June, when I noticed a hose being used to fill it as I went into the hotel from the rear parking lot in the evening. Pool was still being filled on Wednesday, 25 June, and, as I had breakfast on 26 June I noticed that the pool was full, and the big padlock and chain which was on the gate while the pool was being worked on, had been removed.
The “free” breakfast at the hotel was surprisingly good; lots of fruit; pastries; yogurt; cold cereal; juices; milk; good coffee; scrambled eggs; two types of sausage (or 1 sausage type and bacon on some mornings); biscuits, gravy. Very pleasant eating area.
Expedia, despite its claims, never responded substantively to my E mailed complaint to it about the hotel. I did receive an E mail from an Expedia customer service person “Liam”, acknowledging my complaint, assigning a “case number” M-7703492, and telling me to be patient. I give Expedia a rating of a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10.
I did continue to insist on a partial refund from the hotel. I received a refund / credit on my bill for three nights room charges and taxes. That was good, but frankly I would have far more preferred a bathroom with lights, and a responsive staff to resolve problems which occurred.. Money really doesn't cure the issues I had with being able to use the bathroom toilet or shower in the days when there was no light in the room.
My overall ratings for the Suffolk Holiday Inn Express are a 5 out of 5 for the breakfasts; and a 1 for everything else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank JimmieMacPDX
Dear JimmieMacPDX,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I am delighted that you liked our breakfast selection. On the other hand, it is regrettable that your overall experience fell below your expectations. We take comments such as this into serious account. I have sent you a private message so we can get more information on how we can assist you further.

I hope to hear back from you soon.

Faith R
Brucetown, Virginia
Reviewed May 20, 2014

My sister and I came to Suffolk for my nephew's wedding. We stayed one night. I was sorry we didn't get to stay longer. Staff was extremely helpful and very friendly. The room was nice and very clean. The best was the bed and pillows. We slept like logs. I would stay there again. I didn't even have to adjust the temperature in the room. It was wonderful! It is not the fanciest hotel but it was exactly what we needed. A nice room for a great price and courtesy and caring to boot!

Room Tip: Didn't have kids with me and didn't get to try the restaurant so we did not rate that part..
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Meriden, Connecticut
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Overall the hotel was nice but when I checked in the price was $20 more than my online reservation. Only because I have a smart phone was I able show my email confirmation. Otherwise the clerk would not give me the lower price. I probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank PeterHarg
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Suffolk, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear PeterHarg,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We apologize for any inconvenience during your check-in. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G