“Expected more from Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Suffolk
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Suffolk
Bloomington
“Expected more from Holiday Inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

The stay was a mixed bag. Although the rooms were spacious with high ceilings and there were no major problems and it appeared to be a safe, suburban area there were a number of minor annoyances. The room could have definately used vaccuming when we checked in, the pancake maker was broken, and many of the lights in the parking lot were burned out.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are not dingy or noisy as in some hotels so try to get one their for easy load in...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Suffolk, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Monte C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am delighted to know that our room accommodations were comfortable enough for your needs. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you experienced with the cleanliness and pancake maker being nonfunctional. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have stayed here a few different times in the past few months for business in Suffolk VA. The hotel is always nice and clean, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast area has a nice selection, and is well stocked with food. The beds were nice and comfortable and clean. The only one downside is the rooms don't have flat screen TV's but other then that is very nice. I would definitely stay here again next time I'm out here for business.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

my wife and i normally stay at marriots or hilton hotels, but recently we started trying out holiday inn express because they are a little less expensive. i must say that hie is fastly becoming our favorite hotels. we havent been back to marriot or hilton since we started staying at holiday inn. i must say this hie suffolk did not disappoint. i checked in using my reward points and it was very quick. i was checked in in less than 5 minutes. the room was huge and very clean. i was also glad to see that a fan was in the bathroom. the bed was great and the breakfast was too. the only downfall of this hotel was the old tv's. i was expecting a new lcd flatscreen but they didnt have them. however everything else was on point. i will def be back again!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

The room was clean but don't get too excited about the free Buffett. Free wifi is definitely a plus in my book. Price was reasonable. Friendly atmosphere pool is a plus. Check in agent was very nice and helpful

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Many of my reviews are of Holiday Inn Express properties, because we find them to be a good value.
During a recent trip, we stayed at the HIX in Suffolk, VA. We arrived in mid-evening for a 1-nt stay before taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel the next morning.
The front desk clerk was excellent...pleasant, welcoming and conversational. The room was large. The sleeping area was separated from the main room by a faux divider, rather than a real wall. The sitting area had a gas fireplace and comfortable couch. Unfortunately, the lighting was poor for even reading a newspaper, let alone doing any actual work. The bathroom was large and clean with an oversized whirlpool tub. Breakfast was standard HIX fare...which is not a bad thing. The breakfast room was more spacious than many and had the usual couches, chairs and TV in addition to a dozen or so tables.
Gas stations, fast food places, etc. were all located nearby, so it was easy to get going in the moring and be on our way.
Once again, we were more than satisfied with HIX. I would not hesitate to stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Hotel is located off the road, so noise should not be an issue in any room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I was in the Suffolk area for a Family Reunion gathering. I booked my reservation on line and requested an early check-in but when I arrived at the hotel at 12 noon, the room was not ready yet. I did not press the staff or insist they find me a room because I knew I had arrived pretty early; however, the reception desk staff made every effort to get me in a room. Although others were also waiting to get into their rooms, they promptly found a room for me. The staff said I was very patient and courteous and spoke to them nicely after they informed me that my room was not ready. I assume the others were not so nice. The staff were so warm and friendly. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rule of thumb: Be nice and patient with the staff!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Land of Pleasant Living
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

just a quick overnighter on the road, this place was a welcome spot. Good comfortable beds, clean and friendly, acceptable breakfast as always. I didnt check out an ameneties so I have no opinion there. Would defenitely stay there again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family