“Clean, friendly, home sweet home.”

TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Suffolk
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

The TownePlace locations are always handy for ones looking to save money but cooking meals. Service was excellent, pool and location was very clean. There is a wonderful steak house within walking distance for a nice evening out. Traffic is minimum leaving the hotel. I recommend this hotel to anyone willing to drive a little further to their locations such as Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, and The OBX of NC.

• Stayed: May 2013
Andrew P, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for your response HacklerL,

It is always nice to hear that our location and service meet the needs of our guests. I hope that we will be able to meet and exceed those needs for many years to come, and look forward to your next visit.

Suffolk Virginia

There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Marriott as a Hotel chain of choice was a given in our family for decades, but our loyalty to them is turning more and more to the competition. This experience is a good reason for why.

Though it appears to be a comparatively new location, this particular facility is not particularly well maintained, nor all that attractive. This is our first stay in the TownePlace brand, though we've had many stays in the Marriott Hotels and Resorts, Residence and Fairfield Inns, Courtyards, and Vacation Villas over the past 25+ years. I gather this is a budget-minded version of the Residence Inn concept.

Our two bedroom suite was snug but comfortable. The construction of the building appeared cheap, and the furnishings looked as though they came straight from Target. The room was NOT all that clean: there were several places where the furniture still had a greasy film, areas of the carpeting that appeared to have missed a vacuum since they were installed, and NO toilet paper in the bathroom which I find an interesting first among the hundreds of hotel and motel stays I've experienced with every kind of accommodation, cheap to fine. Wind rattled the 3rd floor rooms all night long -- maybe consider a first floor room -- and there were no extra blankets for what was an unseasonably cool (and drafty) stay. The complimentary breakfast was spartan -- why bother?

Plainly put, this stay fell well short of expectations and Marriott is slowly slipping to a brand of last resort among their class. Their older properties are worn, and their newer ones appear built on the cheap, and what used to be a leader in service, is no more. Why? I haven't a clue.

Room Tip: If it is windy, a lower floor may be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Eric S
Andrew P, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

I do apologize for the inconvenineces that you encountered durring your stay at the TownePlace Suites in Suffolk VA. As a six year old "real living" style property we are grateful that you thought of us as a comparatively new property and are excited for our upcomeing renovations in the next year or so. I hope that in the future we may get the oportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.

AGM
Suffolk VA

Reviewed January 22, 2013

There are two Marriott properties at this location, one Courtyard and one Towne Place. Chose the Towne Place for this extended visit and it was the right option ! Great location, with super easy freeway access. Co-located with several of the DoD and government contracting facilities in the area. NICER rural setting with the right amount of services within a stones throw.

Front desk staff was always friendly and even had good ideas for restaurants.

Great room, with the right appointments that I have come to expect with extended living Marriott properties. The room was a very good size and set up, with fully functional kitchen, supplied with the dishes, pots and utensils. Refrig, cook top, micro, dishwasher and plenty of space to store food. Bathroom was very nice and was stocked all the time. Nice big bed, good desk size for business and plenty of outlets. For longer stays i like to take some meals at hotel and this was a great option for me to cook and relax.

Room rate includes parking, full breakfast and internet. On site laundry (coin operated) and a very nice gym round out the indoor amenities. * Note, you can use the facilities in the Marriott Courtyard next door, which included a very nice bar for happy hour and similar gym, with a pool.

The neighborhood is mostly business, but there is a large master planned community near by with parks, trails and plenty of space to run, walk, etc. There is a Starbucks and two strip malls about 1 mile away. Plenty of really good restaurants, movie theater and other services. Two big grocery stores too. On the other side of the road is a Walmart, Sporting goods and about 6-7 other restaurants like Applebees, Penera and the like.

Super QUIET room and I didn't hear a pee from neighbor rooms, which were occupied.

Breakfast was good, solid options. Didn't go hungry and they always a big bowl of fruit for returning guests, at the end of the day. Internet kiosk in the lobby for printing boarding passes, etc., daily newspaper and a little mini-mart for sodas, snacks, etc. Very happy with my stay.

This is a pet friendly place, but i don't have pets, so not sure how it stacks up.

Room Tip: Rooms were pretty quiet all around.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Andrew P, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear NYSAILORGAL,

Thank you for your feedback. It is always nice to hear that the staff are doing thier part to make our guests feel at home and assist in all that they need. I will be sharing your review with the whole staff to bolster thier pride and confidence that we do hold them to high standards. Again thank you for your review and hope that in your travels you will come back an stay with us again.

Suffolk Virginia

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was here for work for 12 days. Hotel definitely met my needs as it was very close to my work location. Room was clean and alway replenished daily while I was gone. Had to work 12 hour night shift so was concerned about my room as the room next door had a dog inside and you could tell that he definitely did not like to be left alone. Fortunately it was not an issue and if it had been, I was told that I could be moved to another room. Staff was above reproach as they seem to work very hard to meet my needs. Exercise room and laundry met my needs. Breakfast was good and plentiful thru the week. On the weekend, the selection is not as good as thru the week. Property is not that old but has some issues. One of my coworkers was also on third floor and had to move due to leaking from roof. Of course, we were here during Hurricane Sandy. Hotel lost power for about 4 hours on the 29th. Discovered both Marriott Properties (Courtyard adajcent to this building) do not have backup generators. TV in room could use updating as it is still a standard definition TV. I would think properties on the coastal plains would have backup plan for guests as hurricane/tropical storms are inevitable. Would stay here again! Thanks Jamaal, Rene and rest of staff!

Room Tip: Two bedroom suites have full stoves not just stovetops.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Andrew P, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for the kind words, We truly enjoy having people stay with us here at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott in Suffolk Virginia. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. Acts of nature are usually more difficult to orchistrate than those of men. The televisions are on the list of upgrades to address as quickly as possible. Again we apreciate your business and your time and hope that in your future travels to the area to see you again.

TownePlace Suites Suffolk

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Check-in/out was good. The room was clean, but I was there two nights and the trash wasn't emptied and the coffee in the room was not replenished. I reported it when I checked out and got a perfunctory "we're sorry". I would stay there again, it's good, it's near where I needed to be; I just can't really give it more than an "average"...maybe I'm spoiled?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Andrew P, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Thank you for your responce. I apologize that things were missed in your rooms re-fresh, from here on we will be more vigilant in our efforts to re-fresh guest rooms. We hope in your travels to the Hampton Roads Area that you will give us another chance to meet and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My family and i were in town for a wedding. We occupied 4 rooms during our stay. Some of us stayed 7 nights, others flew in on the weekend but we all stayed in the hotel.
EVERY staff person in the hotel was outsstanding. They always greeted you with a smile and a friendly; "hello". The rooms were exceptionally clean and fully loaded. HOuselkeeping came everyday and did a wonderful job; HOWEVER, there was only one problem with the stay. For some reason my housekeeper switched out towels one day, but every day there after the dirty towels were left in the room. We recieved a new set of clean towels, but they would never take the old ones. After 2 days I spoke with the front desk-it did not change. After 3 days the put remarks on our account (i guess for housekeeping to be sure to get the towels)-NOTHING CHANGED. After that I started dumping them in the halls. I did not like doing that but the towels were then taken care of. I would pile them in the rooom or in the bathroom everyday but they just wouldnt pick them up.
Other than that, this is a wonderful hotel in a lovely location (lots of food, walmart and small shopping centers right down the road). Great breakfast bar, pet friendly, child friendly, wifi and 3 computers in the lobby-1 STEP FROM OUTSTANDING. You'll love this place!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Hello CMAC1177,

Thank you for choosing the TownePlace Suites by Marriott in Suprising Suffolk. We enjoyed having you stay with us for such a wonderful event as a wedding. We appologize for the inconveniences that you experienced durring your stay. I will enforce the policy with the housekeeping so that this situation will not happen again. Thank you for bringing this to my attention so that I may fix the issues.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

My company uses this hotel exclusively when we are working in this area. The staff is always very friendly and helpful. The rooms are always very clean. The staff always accommodates any needs we may have. We highly recommend this location. It is very accessible to major highways, dining areas, and shopping.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gary A
Andrew P, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Thank you Mr. A. We try to accommodate for all of our guests be they business or leisure, and are delighted that we are able to satisfy your needs. If there is anything else that we can do for you please feel free to contact us at the Hotel.