“The best hotel in town”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“The best hotel in town”
Reviewed December 3, 2010

From the minute I walked in and the manager remembered my name from my last stay 3 months ago, to the free bottle of water to the friendly bar staff and restaurant food, this hotel rocks. Southern charm and modern accommodations make this one of my favorite stays in all of the country. I actually look forward to coming here each time because I know the staff will remember me, try to find the best room for me and the location , on the river, is beautiful and feels like home.
Ask for Sherrie....she'll treat you like family!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank splewes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Richmond, VA
Reviewed November 17, 2010

This hotel is pretty nice. The beds are fairly comfortable. My only real negative is that there are not a good selection of tv channels. :(

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank paulyjo77
GenMgr_Brian, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Suffolk Riverfront, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
paulyjo77, Thanks for taking the time to post comments regarding your recent stay. I am happy to report that we have already started the process of improving the channel lineup and hope to have it finalized soon. Thank you very much for staying with us and I look forward to being your hotel choice when in the area!
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have stayed there often and will always when in the area. The staff greets me by name and the service I get from check in (Sheri) to check out (Tony) always exceeds my expectations. The on-duty manager (Gena Albright) and the bar hostess (Maricris) and alternate bar tender (Justin) always know what I like. The cook (Pam) takes special care on my orders at night. In the morning I am treated to my favorites by the cook (Gwen) and served by the wait staff (Constance) who keep the coffee coming. I have no complaints.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
GenMgr_Brian, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Suffolk Riverfront, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments regarding your experiences at our hotel. We are very proud of our ability to take care of our guests needs and make it easy to relax and enjoy. I am pleased that we are your preferred lodging choice and recognize that it is definitely our associates that make the difference!
Washington, the State
Reviewed October 29, 2010

This hotel blew us away - we experienced the famous Southern hospitality - at check-in, at breakfast time and at check-out. We had a comfortable, large room with view of the river and view of the sunrise. Nice place to sit on the back porch in the great rocking chairs.
Could not have wished for a nicer place. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank simivalley1699
GenMgr_Brian, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Suffolk Riverfront, responded to this review, November 4, 2010
Thank you for staying with us and your wonderful comments. We do take pride in our service and it is great to hear that you enjoyed the hotel. We look forward to your next visit!
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed August 27, 2010

The Hilton Honors website wouldn't allow a reservation (the only rooms available were smoking and a single bed--I needed nonsmoking and two beds). I called the hotel directly and spoke with Nathan. He told me there would be no problem, just make the reservation through the Honors website and call him back. Reluctantly, I reserved the smoking room with single bed, then called him back as he requested. He quickly made a change to the reservation and we were set!

Upon arriving, we ran into Nathan and complimented him on his can-do attitude and service. Meanwhile, the Honors manager (I think her name was Sherri? Sorry if I got it wrong!) processed our registration and offered us cold bottled water and a plate of freshly baked (homemade?) chocolate chip cookies.

Check in and check out were quick, the room and bathroom were very clean, no odors, no evidence of prior guests, and the bedding, as we expected, was sublime--most comfortable and clean. One thing we noticed is that when turning on the room TV, it's volume control defaults to LOUD--not good if you are trying to check the weather forecast while others sleep. When we called the front desk to ask for an additional coffee packet, the housekeeper was prompt, friendly, and provided us with multiple packs.

The view from our room was really gorgeous. We overlooked the Nansemond River, with an undeveloped wetland (tidal marsh) on the opposite bank. It stretched for a mile or two off to our right. Very nice, with lots of water birds and the occasional jumping fish.

The hotel was very busy this weekend due to a district women's club meeting (the hotel calls itself a convention center, too), but even with all of the extra business, we weren't inconvenienced in the least. The parking lot was pretty full, but that was about the extent of our inconvenience.

The public areas were opulent but tasteful. I used the business center briefly to check email--the space was small (room for two to work), but I had no issues with internet service or their computer. The off-lobby men's room was sparkling clean and spacious. The ladies' room, I'm told, was in need of service (inadequate T.P.) probably due to the influx of club members that weekend.

I can't speak about the food because we didn't eat there. However, there is a McDonald's within an easy walk (their coffee is very good). There is also a Kelly's Tavern (a local chain) about a block or two away and they have fantastic hamburgers and fresh-cut french fries for a quick dinner.

All in all, I would not hesitate to return or to recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank doodleysquat
Atlanta
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I've stayed at the hotel twice and both times been happy with the rooms and general operations. Currently the employees all seem very eager to please, friendly and happy to do what is needed to make up for any issues. The rooms are nice. It has a full bar and room service. Breakfast is nice. Service can be a problem at dinner as I think the crowd can be sporadic creating staffing issues. The gym is OK, needs free weights. They have a complimentary buffet on Wednesdays of light snacks and a free glass of wine, which is nice. Of all the business travel hotels I've been in, and I've been in a lot, this is high on the list.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DickieB77
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 11, 2010

This is a nice, crisp, clean place with a lovely interior. The rooms are large and comfortable. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms roomy and very modern. We have managed to get the full breakfast free (by asking) when we order our reservations by phone. It's a great breakfast with everything you could possibly want.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank travelhappy919
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suffolk
Hampton Inn Suffolk
Hampton Inn Suffolk
#1 of 12 in Suffolk
Hilton Garden Inn Chesapeake/Suffolk
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Suffolk
Comfort Suites Suffolk-Chesapeake
Courtyard Suffolk Chesapeake
Hampton Inn & Suites Chesapeake-Battlefield Blvd.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Suffolk Riverfront? Share your experiences!