“Assigned smoking room with windows that can't be opened.”

Hilton Garden Inn Suffolk Riverfront
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Suffolk
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Assigned smoking room with windows that can't be opened.”
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I reserved my stay at this hotel about three months ahead, requesting a non-smoking room. On Memorial Day weekend, I was with about 14 friends, and I was the second to check in. When checking in, I just assumed the room would be non-smoking. To make a long story short, when I got to the room, I immediately called the desk. I was given the choice of two smoking rooms, and had the opportunity to choose the least offensive. I was told there were no more non-smoking rooms available, although some of my friends, who registered after me, were assigned non-smoking rooms. None of the windows in this hotel open -- it is hermetically sealed, so you can imagine what a smoking room smells like. I was given an "air filter" which was useless. Room was clean, but telephone and clock were greasy and needed cleaning. I would recommend this hotel to a friend with the proviso that they are adamant about getting a non-smoking room.

On a subsequent trip to Monterey, Va., I stayed at the Highland Inn. On the bureau, there was a card which stated that if you smoked in this room, you would be immediately evicted and charged $50 for cleaning and airing the room. Hilton Garden Hotels should emulate this policy.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Suffolk
Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I decided to stay here on one of our "DATE NIGHTS". I am a very picky person and a stickler for cleanliness. I can truly say I could not find one thing to complain about. The hotel was nice and clean, the bar was nice and restaurant was enjoyable and the breakfast was really good (Thanks Ms. Constance). We enjoyed peace and quiet the entire time. Check in and out was a breeze and the staff was friendly. Thanks for an enjoyable stay!!
M. SCOTT

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SuffolkMrsM
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I thought that this hotel was beautiful and I was so excited when we pulled up the front door. However, my room was not as nice. The room was dingy and didn't feel very clean. The bathroom was not "sparkling" like I expect a hotel room to be. When I ran the shower, the water in the tub "foamed" up as if it hadn't been cleaned well...or certainly not rinsed well. The TV was fuzzy on many stations.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Durham
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Great hotel with a lovely outlook to the rear. Clean and comfortable with impressive entrance foyer. Porch area to rear was a great place to sit and relax, only negative was this area was not cleared of debris from previous customers until the following morning.
The restaurant was very good and surprisingly inexpensive.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Phoenix
Reviewed September 21, 2009

This was a nice place with good, new rooms and helpful staff. I did not have a car and found it very isolated. No bars and little for eating within walking distance, except a Subway.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Charlotte,NC
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I stayed here on my way to NJ and on the way back, and the staff during the first leg of the trip were great, the front desk staff were so welcoming, had my room ready immediately, greeted me by my name, if felt great! The room was so nice, the bedding awesome, the flat screen tv, a plus, the Neutrogena products a nice touch. On the 2nd trip back, the same staff remember us and was just as welcoming. Went to dinner at the restaurant both times, good food, reasonable price. The pool was a little small, the water seemed a little dirty, and plants needed some serious watering.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Memphis, TN
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I was in Suffolk for 5 weeks on business, and could not have found a better place to stay. The staff was fabulous -- kind, courteous, prompt, thoughtful. The rooms are well appointed and large. The beds are adjustable for firmness and have a nice thick wool topper that feels great. The location is absolutely gorgeous -- on a marina where boats frequently park. The amenities were great -- a nice workout room, an indoor pool, on-site laundromat, business center, and a decent restaurant.

I will stay here again on future visits and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suffolk
Hampton Inn Suffolk
Hampton Inn Suffolk
#1 of 12 in Suffolk
Hilton Garden Inn Chesapeake/Suffolk
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Suffolk
Comfort Suites Suffolk-Chesapeake
Courtyard Suffolk Chesapeake
Hampton Inn & Suites Chesapeake-Battlefield Blvd.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Suffolk Riverfront? Share your experiences!