“Nice and new”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Suffolk
Charleston, South Carolina
“Nice and new”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Very nice/helpful front desk staff. The little travel shop next to it has almost everything you forgot to bring with you. The rooms are clean and liked the scent of the shampoo and conditioner.
The breakfast was good, but did not expect to pay for it (~$10). There was a free option, but it only included bread, oatmeal, and fruit. I paid the first morning, the second morning I went right down the road, next to the movie theater, and ate at The Broken Egg (which will be my next review). I didn't mind paying for food there.

Room Tip: Military/government discount is amazing, if you can use it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
AmyHGISuffolk, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thanks so much for letting us know about your experience! We appreciate the kind words about the hotel and hope to have you again as our guest. We do have some great bed and breakfast deals that offer a great rate and include discounted breakfast if you decide to stay in the future. ( ps. The broken egg is great for breakfast too ... and a great option for those that like breakfast foods at any time of the day )

Amy Zablan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The hotel experience was wonderful. The Staff makes you feel special. The were very friendly and very accomodating. It was such a pleasant experience to see how friendly everyone was from the front desk staff to the restaurant and bar. Speaking about the restaurant, I had some of the best Salmon with mixed vegetables and Orzo that I have had in a long time. It was quite remarkable because I travel around the US and eat at many fine restaurants. Sometimes you find a diamond in the rough.

Once again, I highly recommend this location for the friendly hometown feeling of the staff and the great food right in the American Grill in the hotel. After a long day working sometimes you don't feel like going to a restaurant to sit and wait for a good meal.

From a happy Hilton Diamond Traveler

Room Tip: The rooms on the back side face the woods and you feel like you are looking out in your own backyard...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We love our Diamond Members at Hilton Garden Inn, and appreciate your feedback. It means a lot to us! Our Salmon is also one of my favorites, and a best kept secret if I do say so myself! Thanks for staying with us and for letting us know about your experience. We hope to have you again as our guest.

MONTCLAIR
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great location near the former Joint Forces Command and near resturants and theater. Friendly and accomodating staff. Comfortable room and modern ammenities. However, if they did not offer bonus miles, I probably would not have eaten in the American Grill. Prices too high for the breakfast. Dinner wasn't stellar either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We thank you for your comments. Thanks for staying with us and letting us know about your experience in the American Grill! We hope to have you again as our guest.

Minnesota
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Visiting relatives stationed in Norfolk. Great location and value - safe, quiet, nearby restaurants. Staff was nice and the rooms were clean. Offer breakfast and have a bar. Also an outdoor patio with a grill.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We thank you for your comments. Thanks for staying with us, we hope to have you again as our guest.

Safe Travels and Best Wishes,
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed here while on a business trip. I too was put on the 1st floor in front of the pool and by exit door. The room was standard, however when I got home I had bites all over me. I checked for bed bugs when I checked in to the room but did not see any evidence of them. However, I am so freaked out I will not be stay at this hotel again.

The front desk hotel staff were very nice and welcoming on a positive note.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
AmyHGISuffolk, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thanks so much for staying with us during your visit to Suffolk. I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and rectify any pest situation that might occur. We have reviewed your comments with our staff and promise the situation has been addressed. If there is anything we can help with further, please contact me directly at Amy.Chen@Hilton.com or 757-484-9001 with your HHonors or confirmation number.
Best Regards .
Virginia
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Had a nice solo stay. Room was very clean and welcoming. As a hilton honors members (Silver) I was surprised to be assigned a ground floor room right by the gym/pool and I can't say that thrilled me particularly. As a solo traveller I don't like being on the ground floor right by the exit door and certainly not near high traffic areas. But, I am sure if I had complained I could have gotten another room. By the time I realized the door from the pool was opening/closing all the time and disturbing me I had already unpacked and decided it really wasn't worth the trouble. Had a drink, called it a night. If you are assigned a room near the pool/hottub, be prepared for noise. Nothing unruly, just other guests using the amenities early in the morning and late at night.

The restaurant was spectacular and I enjoyed my burger. I was given a coupon tucked into my envelope with the key card that would have given me extra points for having eaten in the restaurant. The front desk clerk made no mention of the coupon and I didn't discover it until after I had departed. That's a little disappointing.

The service in the restaurant was very good and overall, I would stay again. I liked the proximity to the interstate, other restaurants, and even a grocery store.

I used the hot tub too. The chlorine was very strong, but it was nice to have.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
AmyHGISuffolk, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thanks for staying with us! I apologize your room was so close to the high traffic area and the pool. I will forward your comments to the front desk staff to make your next stay better! Have Safe Travels.
Pinehurst, North Carolina
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel itself was in a great location with shops and restaurants nearby. It was in a safe and quiet area. The staff was very friendly and went out of there way to make us feel welcomed. The pool, whirlpool, and fitness center were in great condition. The room itself was extra clean and the hotel was very modern. Fresh cookies were prepared for guests daily.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
So glad you enjoyed your stay and the cookies !
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suffolk
Hilton Garden Inn Suffolk Riverfront
Comfort Suites Suffolk-Chesapeake
Hampton Inn Suffolk
Hampton Inn Suffolk
#1 of 12 in Suffolk
Courtyard Suffolk Chesapeake
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Suffolk
Hampton Inn & Suites Chesapeake Square Mall

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chesapeake/Suffolk? Share your experiences!