“Old World Charm”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
Linville, NC
“Old World Charm”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Strasburg takes you back to an era where an "inn" was a refined resting place. The "Pub" has excellent food and drink. The breakfast with the maple nut cake, fresh fruit, cereal, and English muffins was delightful. Our small dog was welcomed. We will definitely return and hope that nothing ever changes!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Couldn't have picked a better place for a local anniversary weekend! We were greeted by some of the friendliest staff we have ever encountered. There isn't a real reason to leave the property, although we did to view an antique market. The food in the Dining Room is great. The atmosphere there is very romantic! I was happy to see that half portions on the assortment of pastas were available for most choices. We found that we actually liked the food better in the Pub. There is more variety there and was less expensive. I envision the Pub would be a great place to watch football in the Fall.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 636StephanieC
Hickory, NC
Reviewed June 27, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel with character and history in a small town, Hotel Strasburg is an excellent choice! The regular rooms tend to be smaller than typical chain hotels (because of the original construction of the building), but each one is different and has its own character due to the variety of antiques and accessories used to furnish each one. The suite we stayed in was roomy and quiet. There is a restaurant downstairs, so guests can eat breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner on site. The staff were so accommodating and went out of their way to be helpful to us when we had a special situation to deal with during our trip. The location is conducive to walking around town and enjoying small shops, architecture, and eateries (such as Cristine's Café). The Wi-Fi was not very powerful, but everything else about our stay was terrific!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place is wonderful. The beds are comfy (as I am laying in one). The rooms are perfectly sized for 2 people and bags. The location is fabulous and the whole estate is magnificent. To begin, the rooms are perfect for a couple or an individual. This is not a holiday inn with some big TV to plop in front of when you arrive. But a location for one to relax and unwind. The water pressure even up here on the third floor is incredible, I wish my shower was as strong as the one here. Every room is different and they leave the doors open to unoccupied rooms so guest may preview them and get a feel for the hotel. The price is so incredibly cheap, I can not believe it for the accommodations. We paid 73 dollars for the night and even found on Priceline a 62 dollar option. This is a great bang for my buck between the beautiful antiques and surrounding history.

As for the cons, the staff is average. The girl earlier tonight was less than helpful. She gave me a spiel and tossed me my keys. Blah. The night staff is wonderful though, she answered questions I had about the town and was very pleasant. Also, this is certainly not a place for children. Lots of things that can be broken. Sounds travel easily throughout the building as well. So little feet at night trampling around are no fun for anybody.

In the end, this was a beautiful hotel that is more than reasonably priced and it is not 5 minutes off
I-81. I would certainly stay again when traveling through the area.
A charming and warm hotel that is not suited for children.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Hotel Strasburg on our way to Shenandoah National Park. The service was excellent from the moment we arrived and the hotel was clean and very reasonably priced. Our room was very nice and the continental breakfast was adequate. My wife and I took a run through the town in the morning and thoroughly enjoyed our interactions with the friendly hotel staff. We'd highly recommend staying here if you want a unique, small town experience.

• Stayed June 2013
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just returned from 3 nights at the lovely Hotel Strasburg in tiny Strasburg, VA. The inn is a former WWI hospital and orphanage, located downtown, within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants, and surrounded by the historical residential neighborhood. The rooms are quaint and well decorated. There is a pub and a restaurant that is a destination for locals (upscale and affordable). The staff is the most accommodating of any hotel we have ever stayed in (anywhere in the world). There is a lovely porch for sitting and watching small town USA go by. Don't miss this inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I rarely write the hotel reviews here, but due to our very bad treatment here, I think it is very necessary to share my very bad experience with other travelers and warn them: it might be a terrible nightmare for you if you try this hotel.
We bought it from Groupon for $59 one night, which seems a good deal. We reserved the Chandler House Second Floor room 415 and called them nearly 3 month in advance. The first trouble is they did not send us any confirmation email after we reserved, and upon my request about 3 times, they finally sent a confirmation email to me. But does that confirmation work? No!!! When we arrived at the hotel at 10pm, we were told that the room we reserved is not available, and the old lady told me that they have already changed our room by themselves directly and we have no other choice. I asked why and the lady told me that room 415 is not cleaned yet. Is it their job to clean the room on time? The first time I heard such an excuse among the 100+ hotels I lived all over US! I suspect that very likely they just gave our room to another customer, but who knows? They will definitely not admit that even if they have done that!
So we were assigned to another room in the main building, right above the lobby. We found that all the rooms are open and had a unpleasant smell like a hospital. Later we found other customers' similar complaints that it was a hospital before! What is worse, the room was very tiny, and the bed was very old, small and uncomfortable, definitely needs to be replaced 10 years ago. All over the night I could not sleep well, and the bed made a lot of noises ceaselessly whenever you move a little bit. If you are close to 6 feet, do not consider this hotel at all please, otherwise you will regret!
What is worse, the bathroom is so small and the ventilation fan does not work, so the whole room was very humid all over the night after I showed.
The worst thing is the staff on the front table, when we checked in, the old grey hair lady in her 60s was very unfriendly. At the beginning after she opened the lobby door for me, she asked a question that I did not get her, so I asked her to repeat, then she appeared very impatient and looked at me with great disgust, with a typical face as a racist when seeing an Asian customer. Later she told me that our reserved room was not available to us anymore, and she did not say sorry or show any concern at all, even after we showed our dissatisfaction. She does not care at all! Finally before we leave for our room, we said thank you and have a good night but she did not give any response at all, to our surprise.
It shows very clear that she does not welcome minority customers.
The young lady we saw next day was a very nice person, and the breakfast is not bad.
But in general, this is a hotel with bad location (Front Royal is much closer to the national park), very tiny room, super uncomfortable bed, unfriendly staff. My friends, make a wise choice!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LihuiS_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Ramada Strasburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
The Mimslyn Inn
The Mimslyn Inn
#1 of 9 in Luray

Been to Hotel Strasburg? Share your experiences!