“Great decor, horrible food!”
Review of Charlie's at the Mill - CLOSED

Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I read all the reviews here before we went, so I was well prepared for a casual environment. The place is an old mill and looks great on the outside and the decor inside is wonderful. I love that they kept it with the theme of the mill. We went up to the counter to order and the people just stared at us. We ordered crab cakes and pulled pork sandwich with hush puppy and coleslaw as a side. We asked if the coleslaw was mayo or vinegar based and they were so confused with the question that we finally gave up and just ordered it. The coleslaw (mayo based) was actually the best part! We ordered wine and they gave us two travel wine bottles to sit down with. I had to ask for a glass. Luckily they had one! The corn bread was actually good, but you have to eat it on the paper towels they put on the table. The food came and the crab cakes were like eating mush. Terrible! The hush puppies looked like burnt sausage links and tasted like burnt dough. The pulled pork sandwich was definitely taken from a container and heated up in the microwave. This is a great place to drink and do karoake, but I would stay away from the food. We were just thankful we didn't get food poisoning.

3  Thank Leah M

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I don't always consider atmosphere when I go out to eat. I love a good dive, as long as they have really good food. We've been hearing about this place for awhile. We went in and walked up to the counter and were given menus and told to come up and order. We did that, and ordered a beer. When we asked for water, we found out we had to go get our own. No big deal, except it reminded me of fast food. It's like they're not sure whether they're full service or not. The seafood was good. Cooked just right....except the oil used to fry the shrimp and oysters needed to be changed. I tasted a lot of other meals in there.........

I like metal utensils. I can't help it. Luckily, I didn't have to really cut into anything, but there's just something about plastic forks. Our server was great, but in the end, what do you tip when you didn't get that much service? I felt bad, we usually tip 20% but she didn't do much. There wasn't much "flow" to the service but other than that, the food was good, the concept just needs some work. Maybe do a little more with the atmosphere. There were only two other tables occupied but it was sooooo quiet in there. A little background music or something?

1  Thank DharmaG
Reviewed April 25, 2013

While it may not look so from the outside, Charlie's is a real find! The food is always hot and the service excellent. My husband and I have visited at least 10 times in the last year and we've never left unhappy and we are always stufes, The crabs are excellwnt, fish wonderful and the sides are amazing.

If your looking for an AYCE experience, check out Charlie's!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

i looooove charlies!!! its located in the ground floor of an old mill. there are lots of little bits of history woven into the room in a way that you wouldnt notice unless you look. the set up might seem strange at first, you order/pay, then go sit and wait, like fast food. but the service is top notch, and the food is unbeatable in the area! i pick this for birthdays, anniversaries, even valentines day! their sea food is sooooooo delicious!! the owner is the chef, and is so nice and personable. my father in law was even able to switch up one of their "all you can eat" meals just by talking to him. very family friendly. they even have karaoke some nights

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Took friends to Charlies last week and had another wonderful meal. Friend, who know his seafood, said the shrimp was the best he had ever eaten. I ordered frier oysters, again, cooked perfectly with little breading. Several other tables had all you can eat crab legs and they were quite happy. I love this place! Down home, nothing fancy, get your own drinks, etc. but boy can they put out the food!

1  Thank Rich C