“Pleasant Restaurant & Great Delivery Too”

Castiglia's Italian Restaurant & Pizza
Ranked #4 of 29 Restaurants in Strasburg
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Castiglia's is a wonderful restaurant located on Valley Pike next door to the Fairfield hotel. Inside we bring you a samples of Southern Italy in our menu which includes subs, pasta, salads, soups, and of course pizza. Come bring your family and friends!!
Strasburg, Virginia
“Pleasant Restaurant & Great Delivery Too”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Good Italian food. My husband and I occasionally take advantage of their delivery too. Salads always fresh and crisp; entrées arrive hot and delicious. Great service.

• Visited November 2013

Waynesboro, Virginia
“Stromboli for dinner with plenty left over for lunch!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Went there for dinner while staying at the hotel next door. My wife ordered a small Stromboli and I ordered a large (wanting to have some for lunch the next day). The waiter warned me, but suffice it to say the small would have fed my wife and me and the large would feed a family of four! So we have some great leftovers! Food was quite good, ambiance was nice (informal but clean and neat), prices were quite reasonable. Not quite 5 star dining but would definitely go back (and may stop for a meal just while traveling down 81).

Aiken, South Carolina
“OK Lunch- Good Soup”
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

I admit I was a little leary after sliptak's review. I admit to being an Italian food snob so I was concerned about Italian food outside of NY/NJ.

We were in a hurry to have a decent, non fast food meal and get on the road so we took a shot.

Not impressed with the garlic bread. Would have been good if they actually used Italian bread to make it. It had a very white bread flavor and consistency.

The salads are large. The Greek salad was pretty decent. My Ceasar's salad was fresh, but the dressing tasted a little too much like seasoned mayonnaise. The croutons were made from the aformentioned bread.

The creamy clam chowder was very good. Fresh celery really made a difference. The portion was generous.

The chef or owner came out to speak to one of his regular customers. He had a thick Italian accent.

I can't address his ability to cook pasta. Maybe he was off last Friday night. Maybe not.

Not all Italian men can cook. Also prices may be low due to the quality of ingredients he is buying which can be a reflection on the meal.

He did OK with our basic meal.

Service was very good.

Washington DC Metro Area
“AWFUL!!!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I used Strasburg, VA as the base location for a couple of days of hiking in Shenandoah this past weekend. There aren't a lot of dining options in Strasburg but I was happy to see Catiglia's had great reviews on Tripadvisor by Claudia C, Rooty-Toot Squared, and TropicalTravelerNC - in particular since we were staying right next door at the Marriott!

We spent a great day hiking the gorgeous trails off of skyline drive and made our way back to Castiglia's passing a couple of steakhouses and a dozen fast food options through Front Royal and Strasburg looking forward to "the best Italian food in 100-mile radius" as Rooty-Toot put it or the "great Italian food" as Claudia C and TropicalTravelerNC put it.

Usually when you've been out in the fresh air hiking all day a plate of bark tastes good. We were both famished and really looked forward to some great pasta (our favorite food). The waitress plooped a plate of bread on the table and put a little vinegar in the plate. This was not fresh made bread, it wasn't even toasted garlic bread. It was five slices of semi-stale bread.

In fairness, nobody had raved about the bread so I tried not to be too disappointed. I remembered reading one reviewer's comments about the house salad being really special so I set my sites on the salad she was bringing out. Strike two! This honestly reminded me of something that might be served in a school cafeteria or a hospital cafeteria. Not much there, really, a couple bits of lettuce, two olives (one black, one green), a couple of onion pieces and a couple of shreds of carrot. Literally about 5 bites and it was done.

Well, I don't go to Italian restaurants for salad - my wife had ordered Angel Hair pasta with the meatball sauce and I had ordered Tortellini Alfredo. The plates both had nice sized servings - I knew I was going to be able to finish mine but hers looked like more than she was going to be able to handle. She was mixing hers and adding a little red pepper and I dug in. Strike three - I've never had Tortellini so overcooked - MUSH! What a disappointment! Since I recommended that we eat here I didn't say a word, I acted enthusiastic and asked how the angel hair was. I didn't need an answer, I could see it in her face. I reached over and took a forkfull and knew before it left her plate it was also WAY over cooked - more MUSH!

To be fair they didn't even have Angel Hair pasta on the menu so I thought the sauce and meatballs at least have to be good. She hadn't tried the meatballs yet so I dove in (ignoring my own crappy Tortellini). I honestly nearly spit the piece of meatball out - completely tasteless.

We LOVE Italian food. We are NOT food snobs. I would have been given this place a solid 3 if they'd have served Ragu sauce with some well cooked pasta. Neither of us even ate half of our meal and we certainly declined the doggy bags. I LOVE cannolis and almost never refuse them when they're on the menu - sometimes I'm too full and will order them to go. The food here - every bit of it - was SO disappointing I wasn't even tempted to get a cannoli.

We left, went to the McDonald's drive through right across the road, and went back to the hotel room. I know this is a stark contrast from the views of Claudia, Rooty, and TTNC but this could not have been "an off night for the restaurant". Check my other reviews, I'm a happy traveler and easy to please. Perhaps they've had a management change, a change in the cooking staff, or there's some other explanation. My advice: If you're driving on 81, keep driving. If you're in town and need a bite - try Denny's or McDonald's.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank sliptak
Herndon, Virginia
“Great food for a great price”
Reviewed October 28, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This place has great Italian food. We found it on our way home from dirtbiking at Taskers and it's our go-to spot now. They have cheap pitchers of beer (although I wish they had a wider variety for the pitcher specials). The food is great and the portions are HUGE! I also love the decor.

Visited September 2013