“Attention to detail goes for the hotel but I guess not the staff”

HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Before I touch on the negative I need to let you know this is a great hotel in a great location, great great great I can't say that enough I would with out hesitation stay here again and would encourage everyone to stay here the hotel is beautiful, the room is amazing and the breakfast is second to none....but...

When I booked the room (directly from the hotel's site) they offered basically a $30 discount if you pre-paid...which I did.

I booked and paid for the one bedroom suite check in was at 3pm I arrived at 2:30pm others were checking in I got in line. Without a question they checked me in got me a room and off we went. I got to my room...studio suite (downgrade) I went downstairs and thought, hey simple mistake no big deal, no harm, no foul. I pointed out to the front desk staff that I pre-paid for a one bedroom suite and got a studio, this guy gave me the biggest deer in the headlights look I had ever seen, he took my confirmation from me looked at it like it was in a foreign language, looked at his computer (he still hasn't said a word to me) after five minutes of back and forth between the computer and my print out from home he said, "you need to come back in an hour." Why?" I asked. "You room's not ready” So you just gave me a lesser room and didn't tell me or offer a refund for the difference. His response was, "oh, sorry 'bout that." After an hour I did in fact get the proper room but the front desk staff didn't even tell me about it, no "sorry you had to sit in the lobby for an hour here's your key." He sent the bell hop over with the key and didn't say a word to me.

Now again other than that the room was great both rooms I saw during this stay and the lobby is very nice too I'm qualified to say that since I sat there for an hour. Fast forward to the next morning.

At 9am I got up, left my wife asleep in bed and I headed down stairs to get breakfast for the two of us, I returned to my wife frantic and fully dressed. My god what happened, she said shortly after I left the room there was a knock on the door she cussed me for forgetting my key and wiped the sleep from her eyes and headed to let me in. As she entered the living area of the room the door fling open and it was housekeeping standing face to face with my half-naked wife housekeeping backed out of the room and didn't say a word. And best of all I had the Don Not Disturb sign on the door. I stomped down to the front desk and it was my buddy from the day before I told him what happened and guess what he said...yup, you guessed it, "oh sorry about that."

Other than that it was great

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chadmbrock
Monica B, Front Office Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2017

Reviewed May 15, 2008

Nice new hotel. Room was beautiful, breakfast was outstanding. Since I was there for business the location was fine. This is not where I would stay for lesiure travel. My only complaint was that I asked a month in advance for a ground floor room, and did not get one. Oh, and the "bistro" at night was BS. If I am going to pay $5 for a glass of wine I expect there to be dancing girls or something.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed May 4, 2008

This hotel is amazing by far! We had a 1 Bedroom Suite and totally loved it. The room and hotel is brand new with tons of top of the line eminities. The hotel grounds also have a full basketball court, a swimming pool with a hot-tub, and cozy chairs that couples can sit in together. Near the pool you will also find a fire pit you can sit by and have a glass of wine or whatever you choose to do while lounging out. There is a lobby with a beautiful fireplace you can sit by and warm your toes.

If you are looking for a Boutique Manhattan style Penthouse Suite for the price you will definately look twice at (totally cheap) this is the place! It reminds me of a honeymoon style hotel with tons of extras that are included but you don't pay the big sticker price for.

Will DEFINATELY stay here again. Very close to I-95 so on my next road trip I will be stopping in for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family