In a previous review I expressed my satisfaction with Hyatt Place in Sterling VA. This is the Hyatt house in Sterling VA. Both have Sterling-Dulles Airport North attached to their name but are different hotels about five miles apart. Hyatt house not Hyatt Place. Lots of people showing up at the wrong hotel.
Still commuting for work. Travel agent found that this place is $1.10 a night cheaper than other place. I have to learn the names of a completely new staff.
Rooms are large and comfortable. With Hyatt Grand Poobah class points card I get best available room on check in so have never been in less than King Suite. Large bedroom, large bed, large bath, no tub - rain shower only. Cool little trick with shower. There is a hole in the shower glass where they tuck the bath mat - you can reach through it, turn on and adjust shower temperature without getting the blast of cold water to start your day. Single sink with a fair amount of room for your stuff. Large closet (double door wide) full depth, iron and board.
3/4 kitchen. Full size fridge, two burner stove, microwave, coffee pot, dishwasher and place settings for 4. Handy for longer stays.
Good size flat panel TVs in living and bed room. Desk not so sure about. Good solid work surface. Nice sturdy director's style chair. But ... table is too high for regular chair and too low for standing. Chair is a little too high so I have to pinch legs under work surface. And there is only one chair so forget dining for two. If chair is on one side it is in the road of the fridge door; on the other side it is in the road of the bedroom door.
Wired phones (no walk and talk). No speaker phone. Free wired and wireless internet (that works well). Bedside clock radio includes iPod adapter - speakers aren't great but it will do.
Windows that open. Heater controls that you are never really sure if they work. Tried adjusting temperature and it seems the same at 66 and 74.
Pet peeve. More like angry peeve. Set out my meds - come back the first day and housekeeping had rearranged them. Absolute no-no. That stopped after I spoke with the manager. I also bring a power bar for bedside. iPad, phone, CPAP machine. Come back the first day and everything is unplugged. Tell manager that is not going to happen again. He says that there are special breakers in the rooms that detect if something is on and trips so that my stuff doesn't waste power. If the breaker trips the hotel staff has to come and reset it manually. Ask what about TVs, phone, clock radio, fridge? Oh those are on different breakers. I call shenanigans. I put radio systems on spacecraft and have a Masters in Electrical Engineering. I check the panel and inform the manager that these magical breakers do not exist.
Good continental breakfast. Custom made omelette bar but chef is usually too busy busing tables. Light menu and full bar from 5 to 10 PM. A couple of microbrews the rest in the Bud Lite quality range. I don't like it because they have either Fox or CNN at full blast or there is a marketing jerk talking in his outside voice and laughing fakely at his own jokes somewhere in the room.
Very good place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Washington-Dulles Hotel Sierra delivers a fresh take on modern day travel thru intelligent design, stress-free service and free-flowing amenities. Its 162 guestrooms + suites feature flat panel TVs, MP3 docking stations and waffle terry bathrobes while free details include breakfast with made-to-order omelets, Starbucks brewed coffee and WI-FI throughout. Sample small plates, sip and socialize at the HBAR or alfresco patio with fire pit and lounge seating. Conveniently located in the Technology Corridor just 2 miles north of Dulles International Airport off Route 28. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Hotwire, Priceline, Odigeo, Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sierra Washington Dulles Hotel
- Sierra Washington Dulles Sterling