“Very quiet and enjoyable stay”

HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
GreenLeadersBronze level
Strasburg, Colorado
“Very quiet and enjoyable stay”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) stayed at the Hotel Sierra for 8 nights in May 2011 for a family trip to DC. The Hotel Sierra offered all the amenities we wanted, within easy access to the DC area, for a very affordable price.
We checked in late, after midnight, on a Friday evening. We have had difficulties at other hotels with checking in late and not having our reserved room available. We were pleasantly surprised with the ease of check in and to find the room we reserved was the room we received. The staff was very nice and friendly!

There were many positives to this hotel. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a king bed and pull out couch, which was plenty of room for our family. The kitchen with full fridge was a nice plus. It was also extremely quiet. We never heard planes or the people in the rooms near us. This was a welcome retreat from the crowds, chaos and traffic of DC.
This hotel was very affordable for the area, especially for the services provided. We found the best rate through the hotel website. The breakfast was great, with plenty of choices for our family. The omelets were a big hit, but we also enjoyed the bacon, muffins, granola/yogurt, bagels and coffee. We ate here for breakfast every day, and this saved us even more money to not have to buy breakfast for 2 teenagers.
The free wifi was very adequate to run our laptop and iPad during our stay.

We only had one problem during our stay. They only left 2 towels in our room, with 4 people staying in our room. I asked for several days for this problem to be solved, without a resolution. Finally, I spoke with a very respectful and polite man at the front desk, expressing my frustration. He assured me that this problem would be taken care of, and from that point on we have more towels than we needed in our room, along with some extra snacks left for us.
All in all, this was a very small problem. I appreciated the way they handled the situation and followed up with us. Problems will happen, but their handling of the situation says much about this hotel and staff.
I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Wow…we couldn't have asked for a nicer review! I am so pleased to read that Hotel Sierra was the perfect place to stay during your families visit to the DC area. I thank you for the nice comments regarding the staff and amenities offered. I do apologize for the towel issue, but am glad to know it was taken care of in a timely manner.

Thank you for recommending Hotel Sierra to others and we look forward to hosting you again.

Michael Gouzie, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
US
Reviewed May 24, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel over the holiday season to visit with her family, it was a last minute booking that we found online literally the week before Christmas. The rates were excellent first of all, which made us think initially that the hotel would be so-so. Well we were in for a surprise.

When we arrived we were warmly greeted by a beautiful lobby/lounge area that was decorated very nicely for the holidays. Large flat-screens adorn the walls, a roaring fireplace, and a convenient little area for you to purchase goodies for your room/stay.

We booked the studio suite so it had a small (although complete with stove, sink, microwave, and all of the comforts of home) kitchen in it which was perfect for us, the couch was enormous and welcoming and the room overall was extremely quiet given it's proximity to the airport. Kudos to the builder for putting this hotel across from the airline flight paths and not overtop of them.

Pros:
The staff was friendly and professional, the rooms were clean, the bed was super comfy, complimentary breakfast was just right, iPod docking station was a nice touch, evening bistro was delicious & Complimentary airport shuttle service to and from Dulles in their Chevy suburban was a nice touch from the gregarious shuttle vans

Cons:
* Room/bathroom was a tad small
* Not close enough to the local restaurants/shops. You have to drive a whole five minutes down rt.28 in order to get to anything [sarcasm]

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blp2
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for your comments. We are very happy that Hotel Sierra is more than you expected and you found the hotel to be very welcoming and the amenities in the room perfect for your visit. We are glad that the staff was friendly and we hope that you will think of us next time you need to book a hotel room in the Dulles area.

Paradise Valley, Arizona
Reviewed May 6, 2011

My husband and I traveled to the DC area from Arizona and were fortunate to find Hotel Sierra online. The hotel you get for the price is astounding. The rooms are BEAUTIFUL. We had a suite with full kitchenette (full size refrigerator), a comfortable sofa with chaise lounge and a WONDERFUL king sized bed. Not to mention a large flatscreen that swivels, whether you're watching on the sofa or from bed. Premium bath gel in the shower, iron, ironing board, REAL hairdryer all in the room--and the room was spotless. Very, very quiet---wouldn't know you're near an airport. Great proximity to freeways---we were able to get in to DC in about 30 minutes. Excellent breakfast, made to order omelettes among many other things. Incredibly helpful and attentive front desk staff who are very welcoming. Also nice fitness room, on site laundry, comfortable lounge area to catch a basketball game. If we return to DC, we won't stay anywhere else. I am so pleased to have found Hotel Sierra.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at Hotel Sierra. I am so happy you gave us a try and ended up having a wonderful stay and you enjoyed all the amenities we offer.

Thank you for staying with us and we can't wait to see you again in the Dulles area or at any of our other locations.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I found this hotel as I was tired of the Marriott Extended Stay hotels, which are abundant in this area. The hotel was newly renovated and had a boutique atmosphere to the rooms, some of which featured kitchenettes. The staff was unbelievably friendly and I was almost sad to say goodbye. They stopped me in the lobby for conversation, answered every request and the hotel manager made a point of contacting me as to my two week stay. Morning breakfasts consist of made to order eggs, as well as cereals and other items that one would see in a European hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying the Dulles/Sterling area on business. Business center services were free along with parking and shuttle service.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Hotel Sierra. I am so glad you found the hotel to be a pleasant change from your usual hotel choices. Thank you for the great comments regarding the staff, breakfast and amenities offered and I look forward to you staying with us again.

virginia
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Our weekend in DC was to celebrate a few birthdays and our nephews engagement. We booked 5 rooms, studios and suites. Upon check in, which was late afternoon on Friday we were greeted with smiles, excellent service and a feeling of 'can do' from the front desk staff. The next morning the entire group commented on how wonderful the rooms were, what a great sleep we all had and raved over the freshly made omelets. Saturday early evening, my husband and I enjoyed an hour in the bar watching the final 4 and sampling some delicious wines and appetizers. The food and service there was outstanding. My only reason for not giving it a 5 star rating had to do with the Sunday morning of our departure. When I was finally ready to pack the car, I headed to the lobby to get a luggage cart, since I had 3 rooms to deal with. Not only did I not find a cart, and I looked all around the hotel, but when I asked the front desk for assistance, I was brushed off with a very lazy careless response. So unlike the front desk staff the previous days. Even the housekeeping was more helpful in trying to locate a cart. None to be found after 20 minutes of searching and asking. Unfortunately it took me 3 trips back and forth to the car. I learned from a hotel staff member that a guest had been allowed to take 2 luggage carts that morning. Maybe, I am different, but if I need one, I only use it for a short time, not hog or bring it to my room for hours. Hopefully they will find a solution. Will gladly return to this wonderful hotel. Excellent shuttle service.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, April 14, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I am so pleased that you and the others in your party had a great stay at Hotel Sierra. I do apologize for the issue with the luggage carts. It is not customary for guests to have in their room for a long period of time. I will remind our front desk staff to be aware when the carts are being used.

On the positive side, I thank you for the kind comments regarding the friendliness of the front desk as well as the breakfast and amenities in the room. Thank you for choosing Hotel Sierra and we look forward to seeing you again.

Dublin
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Spent a night here while exploring DC. Easy to find from freeways and downtown. Loved 2Q plus SB for our family. Very quiet- no plane noise. Breakfast was above average but no chilled milk for kids- only milk for coffee/cereal. Basketball court was good exercise from being in the car.Wireless connection easy and speedy.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Sierra while visiting DC. It is great to know the room was perfect for your family and you enjoyed the basketball court. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Silver Spring
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Although one might not think anyplace with "Washington Dulles" in its name would be an ideal place for some R&R with your mate, it turns out that Hotel Sierra Washington Dulles, with it's spacious suite rooms, comfortable workout room with chilled towels, free breakfast, and quick access to Reston Town Center, downtown DC and the Smitsonian Air and Space annex, is a wonderful place to spend some down time with someone you love.

The staff was very accommodating and friendly, and we were very happy to have the deep, comfy couch to crash on while we enjoyed complimentary movies and ate our gourmet dinner procured from the local Whole Foods a short drive away. This was after a lazy morning of sleeping in and an early afternoon of exploring the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy museum.

The King bed was beautifully attired in plump pillows and high thread count sheets, the bathroom had a walk in shower, and the kitchen was completely furnished with everything you'd need (with 2 extra guests if you'd like!) for cooking a meal. Even the refrigerator with freezer was full-sized!

We were there in the winter, but in the summer months, there is a nice pool and patio, and in the fall a firepit. The place creates a wonderful place for relaxing and doing nothing. I'd highly recommend it for a weekend getaway or a good base for exploring the Washington area by car.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such a glowing review of your stay at Hotel Sierra. It sounds as though we offered everything you needed for your weekend getaway. Thank you for recommending to others and we hope to see you again.

Michael Gouzie, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,110 reviews

Been to HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!