“awful hotel”

Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Herndon VA
“awful hotel”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This hotel is basically a hostel for young immigrant families. Although the guests are pleasant, there are a lot of loud children. One even set off the fire alarm at 11:30 pm, waking up the entire hotel with 20 minutes of intense noise. The hotel is dirty, with take-out boxes all over the halls. Breakfast items run out early. The coffee maker in my room was broken. And there are no restaurants at all nearby. Beware!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank HerndonVATraveler
comfortdullesgm, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear HerndonVATraveler,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write your review. We appreciate your comments, they help us to improve ourselves.
We are sorry to hear that you didn't have a pleasant stay with us. We do get a lot of business from the airport, travelers who stay with us because their flights are canceled. Like the night that you've stayed with us we got many oversea guests because of flight cancelations. I am sorry that the fire alarm interupted your nights rest.
Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your thoughts,

Jay Javid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Maryland
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I came to this hotel the night before I had to fly out of Dulles. I had intended to stay at the Fairfield Inn down the street, but didn't for reasons that are obvious in my review.

At any rate, got to the Comfort Inn and the contrast with the Fairfield could not have been greater. A lovely, friendly young woman greeted me at the desk. She could not have been more efficient, friendly or helpful. I was quickly given a very nice room (304) with a king sized bed and couch. It was very clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable. The only problem with the room was that the sink in the kitchenette part was broken. When I tried to get cold water out of the faucet, no water came out. The hot water was functioning and the cold water was working in the bathroom.

I did not sample the breakfast in the morning so I cannot comment on that .

Overall, a good experience on a very bad day.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We took advantage of the Park and Fly package, which allowed us to leave our car at the hotel and take the shuttle to the airport. Unfortunately the elevator was broken when my elderly parents arrived, and there was no bellman, so they had to wrestle their heavy bags up to the second floor with no assistance. When I arrived later, I was aghast that the front desk clerk had allowed this to happen, and soon I was in the same boat. We later spoke to the manager who was very apologetic and changed us to a first floor room. He handled all our luggage for us. The next morning my dad took ill unfortunately, and "Kim the Night Owl" at the front desk was extraordinarily helpful to us. So, there were problems, but the staff tried to fix things. (Except of course for the first desk clerk who let my 80-year-old parents haul their own bags up the stairs.) The room was comfortable and roomy. The continental breakfast was generous and varied.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2011

As in all Airport hotels it is just a bed for the night before a flight home and it did tick the boxes, Basic rooms but comfortable, basic Comfort Hotel breakfast ,,did have free internet for guests but the night we stayed the hotel had about 50 Muslems travelling for a religious convention and we had trouble getting to the internet.
Did provide a free shuttle to the airport so it did meet our needs for a one night stay.
But there is Nothing around other than a Burger King about a half a mile away , but they will shuttle you to a Holiday Inn with chargeback facilities or arrange Takeout deliveries.
Would I stay again not sure the motel next door looked nicer .

Room Tip: Check out internet deals first
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 20, 2010

My dad and I stayed at Comfort Inn & Suites Dulles-Gateway last week while going to the Udvar-Hazy Center outside IAD. Terrific stay and wonderful room. I originally booked the room as two double beds, but they surprised us and upgraded it to a one-bed suite. Breakfast was quite good the next morning, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2010
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Stayed here for 5 nights 7/6-7/11/10; the 1 BR suite does not separate BR from LR; but it is quite large and very comfy. Bed provided restful sleep, and the children did not complain about the sleeper sofa. The Hotel is located right beside the Hotel Sierra which I previously stayed at. The staff are quite friendly/helpful; and room is clean. Breakfast selections are very limited, especially lacking in fresh fruit. This hotel also has no pool which was very disappointing; but there are several family- friendly waterparks in Northern VA. There are no good places to eat/shop within walking distance, however both Reston & Dulles Towne Centers are a quick drive away and these areas are loaded with great restaurants, shopping & entertainment; and DC is only a 30 min. drive from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed September 16, 2009

After a flight got cancelled, the airline sent me to the Comfort Inn to spend the night. I walked outside to the hotel shuttle stand and saw the hotel van drive up. I was standing too far from the correct pick up location so I started running after the van. I shouted, please stop and the van slowed down but did not make a full stop. If the van had stopped at it's designated location, I would have made it easily. I found it odd that the van did not stop at all to see if there were any passengers. I waited for about another 15 minutes before the van came back. I was standing in the correct location now. I waved my hand and looked directly at the driver. This time he did stop. BUT he stopped for two seconds, looked at me and drove away. He did not even stop to inform me that he couldn't pick up any passengers at the moment or that he would come back. I could clearly see that the van was not full. I immediately called the hotel to ask why did the shuttle come by twice but did not stop to pick up passengers. The woman on the phone said she did not know why and that she would radio him to come back. Within a few minutes, the van returned with a few passengers already inside but there were still a couple of seats.

I finally checked into my room and within a few minutes went to the "business center" to send an email informing friends of my cancelled flight. The "business center" consists of two computers in a corner of the front lobby by the front door. The printer did not work and had about five pieces of paper. One of the computers was lacking a mouse. Later that evening, someone put in a new mouse but I am not sure if the printer ever got to working.

After about an hour and half later, I ran into a few of the people that were on my cancelled flight. One woman who was ahead of me in line to change flights was checking in. I asked her what took her so long to get to the hotel because she was ahead of me. She said after she picked up her checked baggage (which I did not have to do and so was out on the curve sooner waiting for the shuttle), she and the others had to wait 45 minutes for the shuttle driver.

If it were not for the experience of the hotel's shuttle driver, I would probably have a better impression of the hotel. But unfortunately, he was the first representative of the hotel and he didn't make a good impression on any of us.

The room was fine. It was quite large with a mini frig, sink, sofa, coffee table, and desk. There was nothing really anything wrong with the room. But just also nothing so fabulous to write home about either.

The hotel also offered free breakfast. The offerings were not bad. Cheese omelette, no sausage or bacon, waffles, mini pastries, juices, cereal, toast, and bagels. Nothing fancy but quite enough for me. It was also nice to bring the food back to the room. The breakfast was offered in the front lobby of the hotel and there was also a huge flat screen tv. The lobby looked like it had recently been updated and it did look nice. The pictures on the hotel website of the lobby are accurate.

Upon check out, I realized after speaking with the airline the night before regarding my rescheduled flight that I should arrive at the airport earlier rather than later to confirm my changed plans. So even though the night before I told the front desk that I needed the shuttle at 11:00, I arrived at the front desk at 10:00 and asked if I could go to the airport. I was told that since I had told them 11:00, they couldn't change their plans. So I had to wait for the original time. I find that to be a problem. People's plans do change and I sat in the lobby waiting for an entire hour and the shuttle did not move in that entire time. We were only ten minutes away from the airport.

So, I don't think this hotel has too much going for it. especially with a shuttle service that is unreliable and inflexible.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bluejello
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Best Western Dulles Airport Inn
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington-Dulles International Airport
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway? Share your experiences!