“Adequate, but not great.”

Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I came to "hole up" and work on a project for a few days--isolated from family, life, etc. This was older than other Candlewoods I've visited, and that was reflected in furnishings, etc. I got the work done that I needed, and I appreciated being next door to a Walmart for food etc.

If I had to do it over again, I'd do it a little differently:
1. I have a moderate mobility impairment, and I didn't realize this place was so big. I usually don't bother asking for a room near the front, but the walk to my room this time was a hike. If I'm here again, I'll ask for a more handicapped accessible room.
2. This hotel makes an echo canyon with an adjacent Suburban (similar type of hotel). Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the echo canyon.
3. From the elevator stop to my nonsmoking room on the fourth floor, I had to walk through the smoking room zone, and the stench was pretty nasty. (My own room had clean air.)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
SterlingHotelMgr1, Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear phm3,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We so much appreciate all comments, both positive and negative, this is how we can continue to improve our hotel and services.

This hotel is defiantly due for a full renovation and expect that it will take place in early 2014, we are hopeful to get new kitchens, appliances, carpets and more.

We are in a fantastic location walking distance from the Super Walmart and many, many shops and restaurants.

We hope that if you are in the area again, you will give us the opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Although the rooms were comfy here were some issues...
-was dirty, the thermostat kept being weird, they didn't even pick up our dirty towels!
-no entertainment, no breakfast or pool or anything, just a little low tech gym (which is by the washer and dryer)
-not very close to anything except restaurants
-Service wouldn't deal with a poor lady whose license plate was stolen along with other items from her car!!
-WILL NOT Come Back!!!!!

Room Tip: When you come to the hotel, there is an Extended Stay across the parking lot. Then across that is a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank R M
SterlingHotelMgr1, Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear R M,

Thank you for the comments about our rooms being comfortable! We do pride ourselves on our Extended Stay Concept, making your suite fell just like home.

We are an Extended Stay Hotel where we only provide housekeeping service once weekly, however, we are always available to give you clean towels and take your dirty ones.

Because we are an Extended Stay hotel, where most of our guests stay weeks at a time, we are able offer a lower rate because we do not have a pool, provide entertainment, or provide breakfast.

We are conveniently located walking distance to the Super Walmart where our guests can pick up items to cook breakfast and meals, in their suites, that have a Fully Equipped Kitchen, with a stove, full size refrigerator, and dishwasher!

We are also walking distance to many restaurants and shops including the Dulles Town Center Mall.

Thank you again for all your comments, this is how we can continue to improve our hotel and services!

Candlewood Suites Sterling

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Excellent staff, clean room, business cente with two computers. Pretty much says it all about my one night stay. This is one of the better Candlewood that I have stayed in. The only negative I had was that they were painting a wall in the entrance way and they did not use low VOC paint and it was giving the front desk a head ache. I will stay here on my return travels. I also do not like the energy management system they have because it turns off when you leave the room which makes it hard to cool a room down.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
SterlingHotelMgr1, Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Jan A,

Thank you for your comments about our hotel, I'm happy that we are one of the Better Candlewoods you have stayed in. We will defiantly look into the low VOC paint next time we use paint in the public space, we are hopeful for a renovation in the near future and surly this can make a huge impact!

We hope that you get the opportunity to stay with us again on your travels.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I got this hotel through Hotwire at first then I extended for 5 extra weeks. The hotel is in great location, near shopping centers, restaurants and Dulles Town Center. My room was nice and all the amenities were provided. Rosa and the staff were very pleasant, thank you Rosa for the great customer services you provided.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
SterlingHotelMgr1, Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Mark B,
Thank you for taking a moment to let the world know that you had a great stay with us! We all love Rosa as she is a crucial part of this hotel team and helping us to provide the best customer service possible to all of our guests!

We hope that in any future visits to our area, you will give us the opportunity to serve you again!

The Candlewood Suites Sterling Team.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel provides the comfort of home away from home. Cute accommodation friendly and hardworking staff, pocket friendly budget.

Rosa, Laila and Yosef? and two other men whose names I cannot remember now were very helpful in making my stay memorable. I was over charged though, but I discovered too late and could not complain.

I will sure recommend the place but they have to update their web profile in order to give up to date information. My initial impression was that they run shuttle services, this was not so when I got there, they stopped since 2001 I was told.

Room Tip: I guess all the rooms are good, i did not have issues with mine and did not come across people switc...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Nijeria,
Thank you for taking the time to write a response about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We do have a fantastic staff and pride ourselves on the people we have here and the customer service we provide.

We do apologize about the information on the website you booked the room through being incorrect regarding the shuttle service. Our web page is correct, it looks like this 3rd party one had not been updated. Thank you for letting us know and we have since had the changes made to reflect our hotel.

The Candlewood Suites Sterling Team.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Due to flight delays, we found ourselves spending the night in DC unexpectedly prior to beginning our vacation to Africa. We got a good deal on a room through hotwire. The place was very nice, high quality bedding and clean. We wanted to spend the morning visiting the Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport but couldnt take our bags with us.

Rosa and the rest of the staff at Candlewood Suites were very kind and helpful. They let us leave our luggage with them in the office while we visited the museum, stopping back briefly to grab our stuff before flying out latter in the afternoon. What started out as an ominous beginning to our holiday ended in a very pleasant stay and visit to DC. Thanks Rosa!

Room Tip: Cab fare to and from Airport was more than expected. A dirt cheap bus runs for a dollar dropping you...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
SterlingHotelMgr1, Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

We are glad you were able to get our hotel through Hotwire! We appreciate the comments about the clean rooms and customer service! Rosa has been a valuable part of the Candlewood Suites Sterling Team for many years. We hope you have an opportunity to visit with us again!

Thank you for choosing us!

The Candlewood Suites Sterling Team

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was clean and comfortable. Great customer service. The location was close to everything and very inviting. The rooms are a little dated however, the small kitchen was cute and I had a very comfortable lazy boy recliner. I was able to switch out my pillows to suit my preference. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2013
SterlingHotelMgr1, Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Glen824

Thank you so much for your comments. We really appreciate it. Yes, we are due for a full renovation and am hopeful that will happen by years end. In the meantime, we will continue to provide 100% cleanliness for all the suites.