“Solid Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Winchester, Virginia
“Solid Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We're just wrapping up a 3 night stay at the Hyatt Place in Sterling as I sit down to write this review. All in all it was a good stay....nothing spectacular about this hotel, but very solid. We picked this hotel to get away for a few days for New Year's.

Pros:
- Check in was a breeze, we just walked in, slide our credit card thru the self check in and it spit out our room keys and which room we were in
- Hotel is very quiet, it almost sounded like we were the only guests
- Nice big TV, 42" HD TV.
- Plenty of space, nice desk, a couch, a small wet bar
- Hotel is in a good location. There is a 20 screen movie theater almost within walking distance, plenty of restaurants, and also shopping within minutes.
- Excellent FAST internet. Couldn't be more happy with the wireless internet here, it was top notch.
- Ample Parking and also well lit.

Cons:
- Limited channels on the TV. Plus NBC and Fox didn't work until the final night (probably not a big deal to most, but it was cold during our 3 days here so we stayed in a lot)
- Not a fan of the bathroom. Namely the sink being located outside the actual the bathroom right in front of the bed.
- Bed was just OK. I saw some reviews on here that the bed was great but I didn't experience it...could've been softer.

So all in all we would stay here again. Solid hotel for a decent price.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Somerville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

This hotel was close to a wedding we were going to. The hotel was great for the price but not quite as nice as other Hyatt Places that I have stayed.
Like a typical Hyatt Place, the lobby was nice, the room was spacious and clean. However, it had a little less space than other Hyatt Places but it was no problem for us.
The hot water was hard to get hot. We were there during the 20 inch snowsnorm but the service was still good.
Overall, the hotel was a good buy for the price.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

Wow!!! the most beautiful place I have ever stayed at and we travel quite frequently. The beds were so comfortable and at the time of our trip I was 7 months pregnant !! The breakfast was well displayed, fresh and had quite the variety...
Genevieve and Daniel Henderson

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I've stayed at other Hyatt Place with good experience and this was no different. The place was clean. This was my second time there. However, the most important for me was their honesty: I had left my iTouch in the room when I checked out.

I called them on the way home and explained. They had the iTouch and said would mail it to me. The person asked for my credit card number so they could ship it by Fedex. Two days later, it arrived.

So, overall, I was very pleased with them.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TKDgladiator
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

The room had everything that I wanted and had a free shuttle to/from the D.C. airport. The food concept worked ok near the lobby. I liked the new upscale feel to it. Booked it through Hotwire's pot louck system for about 1/2 price.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our trip to DC. We booked this trip as a package on Travelocity for a GREAT rate... R/T air from Houston and 6 nights stay for only $1000! That meant the hotel was about $50/night and included breakfast.

I was skeptical at first because the hotel was SO FAR from downtown DC. The value of the package made me look into it deeper, and we decided to book it and take the challenge. I'm so glad we did!

I would absolutely recommend doing what we did if you are visiting DC on a budget but don't want to compromise a great place to stay. The hotel was awesome! We just had a regular room, but it had a big, flat screen TV and a lounge area with a couch. Very clean, very comfortable, and the staff were awesome! Breakfast was very good with many selections of cereals, fruits, bagels, and drinks.

More information on how we did DC using this hotel: The hotel has free airport pick-up and drop off. From the airport, you can catch a bus (I can't remember the bus number... it was almost 2 yrs ago when we did this!) that takes you into downtown DC for a couple of $$ per person. The ride takes around 45 minutes, if I recall correctly, and it is best to get your hands on a bus schedule so you don't show up and have to wait forever for the bus. I think the bus departs about every 30 minutes. The hotel staff have all the information and were great working with us! We would call them from the bus each night on our way back and let them know about what time we would get to the airport. They would always be there waiting for us with the van!

We stayed at the Hyatt Place, a nice, reputable hotel, for MUCH CHEAPER than we could have stayed at one of the 1 star roach motels closer to the heart of DC. It was great... I hope I can find the same deal next time we visit DC!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank audjie504
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Nice hotel for a business trip. Rooms have nice flat panel tvs with multiple inputs if you need to practice your presentation the night before.

Breakfast was minimal. Internet was fine. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was small.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ARinger256
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Hampton Inn Dulles-Cascades
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport
Courtyard Dulles Town Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling

Been to Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!