“Honesty appreciated” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Chapel Hill, NC
“Honesty appreciated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I've stayed at other Hyatt Place with good experience and this was no different. The place was clean. This was my second time there. However, the most important for me was their honesty: I had left my iTouch in the room when I checked out.

I called them on the way home and explained. They had the iTouch and said would mail it to me. The person asked for my credit card number so they could ship it by Fedex. Two days later, it arrived.

So, overall, I was very pleased with them.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TKDgladiator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

The room had everything that I wanted and had a free shuttle to/from the D.C. airport. The food concept worked ok near the lobby. I liked the new upscale feel to it. Booked it through Hotwire's pot louck system for about 1/2 price.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our trip to DC. We booked this trip as a package on Travelocity for a GREAT rate... R/T air from Houston and 6 nights stay for only $1000! That meant the hotel was about $50/night and included breakfast.

I was skeptical at first because the hotel was SO FAR from downtown DC. The value of the package made me look into it deeper, and we decided to book it and take the challenge. I'm so glad we did!

I would absolutely recommend doing what we did if you are visiting DC on a budget but don't want to compromise a great place to stay. The hotel was awesome! We just had a regular room, but it had a big, flat screen TV and a lounge area with a couch. Very clean, very comfortable, and the staff were awesome! Breakfast was very good with many selections of cereals, fruits, bagels, and drinks.

More information on how we did DC using this hotel: The hotel has free airport pick-up and drop off. From the airport, you can catch a bus (I can't remember the bus number... it was almost 2 yrs ago when we did this!) that takes you into downtown DC for a couple of $$ per person. The ride takes around 45 minutes, if I recall correctly, and it is best to get your hands on a bus schedule so you don't show up and have to wait forever for the bus. I think the bus departs about every 30 minutes. The hotel staff have all the information and were great working with us! We would call them from the bus each night on our way back and let them know about what time we would get to the airport. They would always be there waiting for us with the van!

We stayed at the Hyatt Place, a nice, reputable hotel, for MUCH CHEAPER than we could have stayed at one of the 1 star roach motels closer to the heart of DC. It was great... I hope I can find the same deal next time we visit DC!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank audjie504
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Nice hotel for a business trip. Rooms have nice flat panel tvs with multiple inputs if you need to practice your presentation the night before.

Breakfast was minimal. Internet was fine. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was small.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ARinger256
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

I've stayed at other Hyatt Place hotels and always expect the best - and this did not disappoint. Very clean comfortable rooms - large rooms with a sofa area and desk. Giant flat screen TV. Great customer service - a greeting every time I saw an employee.

Just what one would expect from a Hyatt property - an excellent stay - top notch!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Visited Washington area for two nights. Hyatt Place was under $65 per night on AARP. Wondered what might be wrong with it at that rate but took the chance. NOTHING was wrong and SO MUCH was right. Great room with separate sitting and sleeping area, free wireless WiFi and 42 in TV. Great staff. Good complimentatary continental breakfast with hot food option. Fairly close to Dulles airport. A little far to drive into the city but it was an easy and pleasant 35 minuted drive - and its parking was free (unlike city hotels). Good area with nearby restaurants. Definitely a place to stay if heading to the capital region. It was a great find.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
State College, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

We booked a room at the Hyatt Place Dulles Airport North because we had an early flight from IAD the next day. We booked the room through our travel agent, and paid a higher rate for "Park, Sleep and Fly". The agency, International Holidays, has a contract with the hotel to provide 24 hr. "on-demand" shuttle service to the airport if you need a ride outside of the hotel's usual shuttle hours. I always double-check and confirm all of our details before we start our trips, so days ahead of time, I called the hotel directly and asked if it was true that we would have 24 hr. on-demand shuttle service. The man on the phone, "Samir", said yes; "if you need a shuttle outside of our normal hours, the hotel calls a cab for you and it is paid for by the hotel". I wrote down his name for confirmation. When we arrived at the hotel, we told the people at check-in that we would be needing transportation to the airport for a 6 a.m. flight., and we wanted to use the 24 hr. on-demand service that their contract with International Holidays provides. We were told that there was no such service and that we would have to pay for the cab ourselves. I said that I spoke with Samir on the phone, and he had told me we would have that service. He said that that was him, but that he never said such a thing. Mind you, this is the night before we left the country on a well-planned vacation. There was nobody we could call for help at the travel agency at that time, so we just paid for the cab and hoped to straighten it out once we got back. We were also booked at the same hotel on the night that we came back from our vacation. The man at the Hyatt front desk said to keep our cab receipt and "maybe" they could "do something" for us when we returned. On Friday night, March 13, 2009, we called the hotel at 10:45 p.m. to ask for a shuttle back to the hotel. We were told that the last one just left, and that they couldn't wait for us, and there was nothing they could do for us. So, after nearly a week out of the country, we paid for another cab back to the Hyatt. I asked to speak to the manager, and was told that he wasn't there. The front desk person said he was scheduled to be there at 8 a.m. on Sat. March 14. We checked out of the hotel at nearly 10 a.m., and were told he was still not there. While we have always stayed with Hyatt in the past, this mess has caused us to lose faith with Hyatt. The people at the desk should know about the contracts and policies and guests should not have to deal with that level of stress while away from home. We paid $35. for the cab to the airport, after the front desk person told us it should be $20. The ride back to the hotel was $30. I think that an additional cost of $65. after we booked the hotel with the assurance that those rides were included is ridiculous. And the fact that nobody was willing or able to help reflects very poorly on the reputation of the Hyatt name.
After we returned home, I emailed the manager at the Hyatt. He did confirm that the contract with International Holidays entitled us to 24 hr. shuttle service, and agreed to pay for the cab fare to the airport, but he refused to pay for the return trip to the hotel at the end of our trip. The Park, Sleep and Fly servuce doesn't end until they get you back to your car, which is at their hotel. I stated that to the manager, Mr. Sharma, but got no reply. A couple of weeks later, we received a check in the mail for only the cab fare TO the airport, and not the return fare.
All in all, we chose to stay at a Hyatt because we love their beautiful rooms and nice breakfast. These things were all good, but the general incompetence and lack of knowledge of policies on the part of the check-in staff has left me doubting that we'll ever stay in a Hyatt again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank mke250
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Hampton Inn Dulles-Cascades
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport
Courtyard Dulles Town Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling

Been to Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!