“Hilton Brand Disappointment”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Hampton Inn Dulles/Cascades -

I regret to say this stay was not up to par for a Hilton brand and I am quite disappointed with the facility.

There were personnel issues during our stay which led to my party not receiving adequate service on a number of occasions.

We had constant problems with our room keys not working, almost ever day. Our room was reasonably clean, but the towels were old and worn, and rough on your skin.

Even when our keys would work for our room, they did not work for the fitness center or pool area. We had to return to the desk multiple times to get keys that functioned throughout the facility.

Additionally, we would have to ask for simple things to be replaced in our room that housekeeping should have noticed without having to be reminded.

Another major drawback for our trip was the inappropriate actions and attitude of Chinese tour groups that flooded the hotel. They were disrespectful to both guests and hotel staff, and there were numerous issues regarding basic hygiene that you typically only see third world countries.

They would turn their televisions up almost as loud as possible, and would not lower the volume even after multiple calls to the front desk. At breakfast, the tour groups would descend upon the dining area and leave it as though a tsunami had struck the area with trash, debris, wasted food, and spilled drinks.

It was so bad that even trying to exit the elevator each morning to go to my work site became a struggle as the foreign visitors would try to force their way onto the elevator before the current occupants exited.

Lastly, there was one thing that was unforgivable. Road warriors know how to interpret the comments and rating of hotels on sites like Hotwire and determine what hotels are actually being offered prior to booking your trip.

I have a disability, and it is important to me that there is a hot tub or jacuzzi at each facility where I stay for an extended visit. I had a friend from Sterling personally go by and look at the facility prior to my booking and he saw the sign for a whirlpool. Unfortunately, that area is behind two keyed doors, and he had to rely on the integrity of the hotel to honestly post what services were available.

Attached you will find a an image I took with my mobile phone on 11/25/13 (verified with a copy of the front page of USA Today) showing the sign being posted on the wall of the Hampton Inn.

There is not only no whirlpool, they have filled it with cement but have never removed the sign from the hallway off the lobby. This constitutes a breach of contract for facility services.

Room Tip: Do not be anywhere near the elevators. There is a constant flow of people at all hours, and the tou...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank William S
HamptonDullesCascade, General Manager at Hampton Inn Dulles-Cascades, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear William S.,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I truly apologize that the level of service did not meet your expectations. I certainly do not find this acceptable and have addressed your concerns with my team. My Chief Engineer has added checking all locks and hardware to his preventative maintenance checklist. My Executive Housekeeper has met with the room attendant who was servicing your room and I, personally, have had the Jacuzzi sign removed from the directional template located in the hallway of the lobby. Again, thank you so very much for sharing your experience with us and providing valuable information as to how we can improve.

Rebecca Leo

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Excellent in every way! Definitely 1st choice next time in area! Staff, facility, location, rooms, breakfast, business center, fitness center, retail shops and restaurants within short walking distance. Cannot compliment the whole experience enough! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This a very nice hotel, very clean, with a helpful staff. The price was very good and breakfast was OK. This Hilton property, along with many hotel chains, are going to duvet/down comforter combinations for their beds. We find them too hot and heavy for comfort in a room with a reasonable temperature. You either have to put the room at a freezing temperature to stay under them or try to figure out how to take them apart to get a lighter cover. They look very nice, but don't seem practical.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

I've been here several times. I'm always made to feel important, even before anybody knows I'm a hilton honors diamond member. They always seems to have the best spread for breakfast, much better than other similar hotels in the area. The rooms are very elegant looking and spacious. Even the lobby and hall areas have a somewhat "majestic" design theme. I must say I enjoy staying there. Staff is always on top of the game.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This hotel was very nice, but if you are looking for a comfortable sleep, you need to look elsewhere. The beds were/are terrible. Also during my stay there were a ton of kids, I assume on a school function, running up and down the hall making a ton of noise. Breakfast was great though.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
HamptonDullesCascade, General Manager at Hampton Inn Dulles-Cascades, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry for all of the inconveniences you encountered during your time with us. Usually our beds are one of the highlights of our hotel. I have talked to my Head of Housekeeping and they are going to do a check of all of our beds to make sure this doesn't happen again.We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. Again, we apologize for the issues and we hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Rebecca Leo

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I checked into this hotel as I was taken ill on highway nearby. Staff offered to drive me to medical facility or drug store. Didn't need either, just needed bed for 24 hours to recover. Staff checked on me throughout day to see if I was OK or needed anything. Housekeeping Manager brought me ginger ale, water etc. Bed was comfortable and I got rest,sleep I needed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Super, courteous, and dog friendly to boot. They made my wife and I feel very welcome when we brought our Rottweiler into the hotel (she is better behaved than most children). Would definitely stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family