“Good premise, poorly executed!”

Cookology Recreational Culinary School
Ranked #1 of 4 Food & Drink in Sterling
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hands-On, Recreational Culinary Classes for children and adults.
Reston, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good premise, poorly executed!”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I took the pad tai class over Valentine’s Day weekend. The staff was very nice but a few things bothered me:

1. Our chef (Jeff) was extremely disorganized and spent much of the class hunting around the kitchen for utensils and cookware (this may not have been his fault). Half of the burners in the class did not work, which really screwed up the timing of the class. Jeff was researching how to make these dishes while he was giving the class. He was not prepared!

2. There were not ample to-go containers, which most people wanted. Chef Jeff actually rinsed out his Gatorade bottle and used it as a to-go container for one of student’s soup. This was disgusting and probably in violation of several health codes. The bags they gave us were used plastic grocery store bags. I think it is good they are recycling bags, but wrinkled up used plastic bags look very unprofessional.

3. We had to ask for the recipes for several weeks. We have still not received them.

I’m not sure if I would try Cookology again. Perhaps this was just a bad experience, but why waste my time and money to find out. I would like to say that other than the chef putting soup in his used Gatorade bottle, the rest of the facility seemed very clean, and aesthetically pleasing.

Visited February 2014
5 Thank jasonplv

Sterling, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not good at all”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Recently I did a date night class and I wish I could get my money back. The instructor was disorganized and rushed. We didn't get to make some of the food that we were supposed to make. We were supposed to grill steak and all we got to do was season it. The instructor cooked all of the steaks himself and overcooked them so they were beyond well done. He seemed to want to make everything easier for himself. Our class ate together at the end of the meal and most of us had food that was too salty. Several of the desserts tasted and smelled bad.

Also things weren't the most hygienic when it came to distributing the food items we worked with. I was grossed out that several of the class participants were licking their fingers and then we picked out food to prepare from one platter.

Visited October 2013
5 Thank soveryclever
Sterling VA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“This is a great place and something different.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

They offer classes for kids and adults. My daughter went here with a group of friends for a Saturday outing. They made pizza and had ice cream. It is a great way to get kids interested in cooking and/or help them expand their knowledge in the kitchen. I have not participated in the adult classes but they have some for couples and other skilled classes you can take. I also bought a deal for my daughter and her dad for fathers day. She got to cook with him which she really enjoyed.

Visited August 2012
Bowie, Maryland
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Date Night Sizzled”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was our first experience with Cookology, it was part of my Mother's Day gift from my husband. We prepared a 3 course Indian Cuisine which was very tasty and experimented with alot of spices that we don't normally cook with. The instructor was really nice and personable. She made it a point to remember all of the couples by name and she was very patient with the adult students that asked a million questions, such as my husband! After the meal was prepared, all of the couples sat down together and socialized over dinner and wine which was cool. Overall good experience and something to do together as a couple. A little pricey for a simple meal though and the rice was extremely overcooked (already prepared for us)....my only complaint. By the way, kitchen area can get very congested with popular classes (large group sizes).

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Just_Me_Bernie
Leesburg, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great Date night but”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

not for experienced chefs. Our chef instructor was nice and had adequate instructions but when asked where he studied his response was basically on youtube and by working in a restaurant. He also added that he loved the food network shows.

We enjoyed the class and our date but if you are looking for more intense class this might not be it.

Visited March 2013