“If only I could award zero stars...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles

Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
DC
“If only I could award zero stars...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights recently. Here are the issues:
- smoke smell: This was supposed to be a non-smoking room, but guests blatantly disregard the policy. My neighbors on the left and the right were smoking away like chimneys and management told me that "only some of our rooms are non-smoking, and yours is"
- internet: connected ok, but I had to do some work and get on my office VPN and it died. Tech support helped, but it was touch and go. Ended up going to a cafe to get work done.
- peeling, broken furniture and fittings in the room: The two bedside lamps didn't work, the kitchen counter was peeling
- general filth: room, premises, laundry room were all filthy. found a couple of insects in the kitchen as well. We'd initially planned to make a few meals in the room to save some money but couldn't bring ourselves to cook there. ended up eating out
- No amenities: unlike other hotels close to the airport, there was no shuttle or park-and-fly. no business center either.

The good part:
- the young man we encountered at the front desk tried to help. He got us tech support on the phone for the internet issue, offered us a different room (which smelled of smoke also, so we declined) etc.

Overall recommendation: Avoid it if you can.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We got what we paid for. Stayed here after the power failures in the DC area. Nothing else was available. It was not great. But did not feel or look clean.

First room one in my part found trash and food from previous guest. She was moved to another room and they did not note that so the staff was not sure where they were. My mother had someone try to enter her room - at 10pm. It was a staff member - went to the wrong room.

Nothing bad happened - but it felt disorganized.

The rate was excellent - we didn't pay much, didn't get much.

Don't expect the Ritz, basic accommodations here. if that's what you need - it will suffice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
, Owner at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Sterling. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The issues you describe are unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. Clearly there was a failure in our system during your stay. In response to your comments, I’ve personally met with all of our staff and used your review to demonstrate in which specific areas we can improve.

Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I have been staying at the Homestead for about 2 months. I had valuables stolen from my room but there was no sign of force entry. Maid service is once per week but not due for the day I was robbed. Neither Desk attendant nor home office were any use,help, or insight to check card key entry... merely a "sorry sir."

Also, the rooms are dated. KIitchens and bathrooms had bug problems and during weekly maid service they obviously attempted to spray for bugs because I noticed that the room had a terrible chemical stench every Monday and the bug disappeared until Friday.

The free WIFI was ok and they have a coin laundry on site but it is expensive - suggest you go two miles to use another coin laundry that is in better shape and less expensive. I've had a few different rooms here and they are not as NEW nor CLEAN as their website shows.

I suggest that you spend a couple of extra dollars to stay at the comfort suites (dulles) or if you are longer term then use craigslist to find a month to month room.

It is not that convenient to the airport (IAD) and 30 miles from DC.

Room Tip: I have noticed some (presumable) prostitutes using this hotel and they specifically askied the front...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I usually stay on the weekend for leisure, the front desk who works in Saturday is very friendly and helpful. He usually knows all my information as being regular customer for that hotel now. Quite place on the weekend and really enjoyed my stay . Would like to recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
King,

It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Sterling. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to continue to repeat your experience with us in the future. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any way.
New Jesey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Really loved the quite environment. the front desk staff was so helpful and courteous . The Housekeepers were also helpful and help me get some extra pillows and towels. Really i loved the stay at homestead.

Room Tip: back building is good if you need quite stay.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Sterling. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way," and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Enjoyed my stay here. I did not like the idea of staying on the first floor due to lack of privacy; however, the front desk guy was nice enough to accommodate me on the second floor. It turned out to be a perfect room for me as I could stop out on the balcony to smoke. Very quite and clean, close to highway but far enough so you can’t hear it. Furniture was a little dated. All in all very nice place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rebecca G
Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

I am very pleased with my stay at Homestead Sterling Virginia. The staff are WONDERFUL and very helpful! I have been very pleased that they make a daily practice of going the exceptional distance to make it a very pleasant stay! They are very quick to respond to any need at any time of day. I have stayed there for many months and am pleased to report that everyone has made me feel at home and the facilities are OUTSTANDING!! It is a very quiet safe place to live for children and adults. The location to Dulles airport and exceptionally inexpensive prices round out the amazing value. I would recommend Homestead Sterling/ Dulles to anyone for short or long stays. Very easy access to highway and local ground transportation. Very clean and secure.

Room Tip: Pets are welcome. There is a large green grassy area for walking pets and nearby restaurant in walk...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#6 of 20 in Herndon
4.0 of 5 stars 860 reviews

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles? Share your experiences!