Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I stayed (2) nights at this property 2/15/12 & 2/16/12. It is sub quality, not recommended for a business traveler. (1) There is no desk in the room, (2) the TV is tube and receives maybe 20 channels, (3) there were no trash cans in the rooom, (4) after my first night stay when I returned the room had not been cleaned, when I asked the front desk what was up with that they said they only clean once a week or can clean daily for an additional fee, (5) no shampoo in the bathroom, (6) a person in the adjacent room smoked most of the night and the fumes seeped into my roonm, (7) I had an early flight and attempted to check out at 4am, although the office claims to be open 24 hours it was not, (8) I attempted to use the courtesy phone outside the office to check-out, the phone did not work, (9) I called the main number, the phone disconnected after three rings, I attempted this several times, (10) I called again around 9am the phone rang over thirty times with no answer, (11) I called several times at noon, sames results the phone rang over thirty times with no answer. Here I am needing a receipt to bill against my expense report and I cannot make connection with the property I stayed at. In my thirty-five years of travel this was the worst experience ever and the first time I've written a property up for a terrible experience. Pay a few more dollars and stay at another property don't waste your money on this place. I'll never stay at another one no matter where they are located.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mochster

Reviewed August 24, 2011

I stayed here after a flight was cancelled at Dulles. This ranks among the worst places I've ever stayed in (and I've been all over the third world). The first room I was in had ants on the bedside table, and the rug and couch were stained. I asked for a new room. The second room the electronic key didn't work. He got me a third room. Still stained rugs. I wore flip flops the whole time. The manager was grumpy and barely smiled. If I had had my own car (I came by cab at 11:30 PM) I would have been out of there and to another hotel immediately. Never again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DanielleK723
Reviewed May 5, 2011

You really can't beat the last second deals on the Homestead Suites website. A clean, simple room with fridge, stove, easy access to the highway for $43.99/night is hard to find. It's nothing fancy, but it there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CookieMonster22030
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We booked for 5 nights. We checked in at 4am just to find out that the room was not cleaned! the carpet was bad and the bed was not arranged , we had to call the front desk and was given a different room. The studio room was quite small. to my horror, there were flies, spiders in the room! The kitchen facility is good. The bed was very small. Room service only once in a week. You need to pay extra 5bucks for internet. Wont recommend to anyone nor come back. With this money, you can find different nice hotels around.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Sid004
Reviewed March 8, 2010

I'd say this place is like a crack hotel, but I don't think that people on crack would stay here. It took me 20 minutes just to get somebody to open the door to the lobby so I could check in at 12:15PM on a Thursday. The non-smoking rooms have ashtrays in them, the room (A non-smoking room) smelled like someone had been chain smoking in it for 30 years (and this was after I changed rooms trying to find one that didn't smell like an ashtray storage facility). There was no waste basket in the room, no cups, the bed had cigarette burns on the comforter. The carpet was filthy, the kitchen looked like someone had kept a pony in it. After four hours, my breathing was so bad I called a cab and headed to the airport. When I got home my doctor had to put me on steroids to help my lungs heal from four hours in this dump. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank heybortko
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I thought the place was great for my needs on this trip. I really liked the fact of a kitchenette in the room, the people in the office are really nice & accommodating, for my needs the location was quite good.

As I've said in my other reviews of this place, the only thing I would suggest is that they have the housekeeping staff focus on detail cleaning. The main, most important things & areas appeared to be fine but "the little things that make a big difference" need attention.
I got the impression that the maid staff really takes no pride in the work they're turning out.....kinda just going through the motions, doing what they have to.
Over all it's a nice place for the money & it really wouldn't take much TLC & I think it would really give it that "wow" factor for people.

I've really read some ridiculous reviews on this motel like,
"there was a lot of noise from planes".
OK did you catch THE NAME of this place ?! Homestead Studio Suites Washington, DC- Dulles Airport- Sterling.....NOTICE THE WORD AIRPORT !
I found with the window closed you aren't bothered by them.
And I guess some were expecting a hotel, it's more of a motel if it really matters.
"There were a lot of work trucks parked there"
OK you snobs, yes you will find the working class folk staying here. You see THAT'S WHERE PEOPLE ON BIG OUT OF TOWN PROJECTS STAY, EXTENDED STAY HOTELS & MOTELS ! If you can't stand to be around REAL people that do REAL work to make a living, better keep looking I guess.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2009

I stayed here from July 08-Feb.09 and cant say enough about the first rate service and
congeniality of the staff. From Tina (manager) to Luis and Dan; I felt I was living at home and
the rates were very reasonable along with convenient access to Dulles Airport and Northern
Virginia. I also appreciated the professional and friendly manner in which all my needs were
tended to and the extra mile they would go to see to it that I was comfortable.
If ever I need long-term or short-term lodging in the future, I wouldnt even think about looking anywhere else.
Timothy Butler

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Manager20190, Hotel Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2009

It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Sterling. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way"", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Also, know that any of our nearly 700 Extended Stay Hotels(sm) locations is eager to serve you in most major metro areas in the U.S. and in Canada. Search for them at any time by going to our website. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway
Best Western Dulles Airport Inn
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling
4 mi away
Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles? Share your experiences!