“What a gem”

Algonkian Regional Park
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Sterling
Reviewed June 2, 2013

There is everything here: picnic tables and covered pavilions with clean bathrooms, cottages for rent, a water park, miniature golf, walking trails,and RV parking. It is right on the Potomac River that is a gem to see. Just a wonderful, free park. A great place to visit and see the river and have a picnic.

There are newer reviews for Algonkian Regional Park

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This park is very close to my house and quite popular here in the Sterling area. But, if you and your family decide to spend a weekend getaway here coming from a place far away, please don't do that. It's honestly not worth it. I personally think that locals are the only people that can benefit from this park. Reason being, it's not much of a spectacular place, it's nice to hang out at for a day. The river is oh my gosh, so bad and I don't even think it's the highlight of this attraction. And, the only reason why I am giving this attraction a 3 star rating is because of the great little benches and tables they have for picnics, playground, golf course, baseball field, and swimming pool. But, all of these have never really struck me to be amazing. But, I think locals have appreciated this place a lot over the years because of the great accessibility.

2  Thank Ceprine A
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is by far the worst park I have EVER been to. Many people don't leash their dogs and let them to wander. One even ran up to me out-of-the-blue and bit my upper foot. We exchanged numbers and it turns out the owner refused to cooperate. Afterwards, I had to spend my whole day in the hospital.. Rude people and HORRIBLE park. We saw many people swimming in the river when there is a clear NO SWIMMING sign in the entrance. I've been here many times and was astonished at how the park was poorly maintain. The water was disgusting and polluted with beer bottles and soda cans everywhere along the edges. There was also litter all over he ground. To me it didn't feel like a naturalistic park. It was more like a dumpster from those of a third world country. Feel free to come here if you want to see a marshy wasteland and loud and obnoxious people,

2  Thank City_Food_is_Love
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Cottages right on the Potomac riverbank. 2-4 bedrooms, surprisingly reasonable rate (for that area). Clean, comfortable, kitchen/basics for cooking. Near to Giant food store for supplies. Meeting space on site for retreats. Discount on golf (I think). Need to arrive/check-in during specific hours, as they close an entrance gate (guest have access keys) Don't lock your key in your cottage!

1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Nice place by the river, allowing for water sports, picnics, relaxation and wildlife watching. There is a kid's playground, walking trails and plenty space to enjoy your time outdoors.