“Not a burger in sight! :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mokomandy

Mokomandy
Reserve with OpenTable
Mokomandy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 232 Restaurants in Sterling
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Algonkian Parkway
Transit: Great Falls Plaza - Loudoun County Commuter Bus
Description: Modern. Korean. Cajun.
Herndon, Virginia
“Not a burger in sight! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Beguiling mix of Cajun and Korean, Mokomandy offers an extremely unusual menu and delivers delightfully different tastes. The menu is divided into three sizes of portions plus a selection of tasters (DO try the cracklins, best ever) and so one is able to pace the meal without filling up on an overly large first course. An unusual and comprehensive beer list is also offered.

• Visited June 2013

Herndon, Virginia
“Different and Creative Dinning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went to this restaurant for the first time and it left me with mixed feelings. The concept is novel; mixing different styles of foods. The tastes were unique and mostly satisfying. The portions were uniquely sized offering a variety of appetite options. The atmosphere was modern and clean. The service was congenial and efficient. I guess what hit me the hardest was the price. It seemed as if the price was a little steep for the food we ate. We will try it again. MAke sure to have reservations if you want to go on a Saturday.

• 2 of 5 stars
Virginia
“Sublime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We came here for a birthday dinner early on a Thursday evening to avoid the crowds. I really had to coerce my husband since neither Cajun nor Korean cuisines are his forte. In the end, he was happy and was talking about our next visit.
The restaurant is small and cozy, although the mirrors make it look a lot larger. We were promptly seated and the server explained that the menu has small, medium and large dishes served in a family shared atmosphere. He also mentioned that dishes come out sequentially rather than all at once. Armed with that information we looked over the menu and settled on the poutine (I had to see what they would do to this Quebec favorite) and scallops with sweet potatoes. The poutine arrived first and was the best presentation of this dish I've ever seen. The gravy had a distinct southern bacon flavor and went real well with the crisp potatoes. The cheese is made daily in house, so it was even fresher than what you get in Quebec. It blended beautifully with the fries and sauce. To top the dish off, there was thinly sliced Cajun sausage and thickly sliced pieces of bacon. Sometimes fries go limp after being in the gravy for awhile, but these stood the test of time.
About a couple minutes into the poutine, the scallops arrived. The five large scallops were lined up over the slices of sweet potatoes and next to that was an artistically done swath of pea compote and tangy sauce. It was also served with bok choy. I claimed the scallops as my own and they were tender and juicy. The sauces added just the right flavor enhancement. The sweet potatoes had a crust that made them even sweeter, so my husband claimed those. I've never been a fan of bok choy, but this restaurant could change my mind. It tasted freshly picked!
We didn't even know they had a dessert menu until our server asked if we cared for some. We chose the gateau au sirop and the pineapple cake and shared. The gateau is a slice of sweet upon sweet, in a good way. The dollop of ice cream and pecans on top helped cut the sweetness down to a manageable level. The pineapple cake was served warm with a cherry whipped topping. They worked real well together. My husband preferred the gateau, while I think I liked the pineapple cake better. There are still at least five other desserts awaiting our next visit.
The service was great while we were there. No less than three staff members came to ask if we needed refills or how we liked the food. It's good to go on a slow night! I'm looking forward to our next visit. It's really a culinary adventure.

Ashburn, Virginia
“Not for the faint of heart”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had a great meal for our anniversary a few weeks ago and we're looking forward to going back to try some of their other items. However, if you are not too adventurous, you may want to tread lightly when visiting this spot. My husband and I enjoy experiencing out the box cooking - and this was pretty out there in our book, I mean cajun-korean? Heck yeah! So, we took the tapas approach and ordered a few of their small disher and two medium dishes as our entrees. All in all, they were very good, creative and nicely presented. I think I didn't care too much for the crispy kale - the oiliness of it made it too rich for my palate and I didn't eat it all, but I think hubby was ok with it (though he's not a kale lover).

The overall experience was Good, above Average, but below Very good (no such option in the Tripadvisor rating). So why just Good? For starters, our anniversary fell on a Wednesday, so we thought it wouldn't be too crazy - although hearing the 'buzz' of this place, I made reservations for 7:30. We were starving, and though we were seated promptly, there were only 2 waiters and they.were.busy. Our waiter finally got a chance to come over and take our drink orders about 10 minutes after we were seated - did I mention we were famished - and although he was really nice, because he was so busy he really did not have time to go over menu items and walk us through during our first experience there. If you're a restaurant with a new concept, I believe you should help 'set expectations' for new patrons - just from a hospitality standpoint and a personal preference. We missed out on this because they were so busy!

We ordered snack and tapas and went to town because we were so hungry, and we weren't sure when dude was going to get a chance to come back. I stuck with a glass of wine rather than trying a cocktail, hubs got a beer - we kept it simple. The snacks and tapas began to slowly trickle in, and then our entrees showed up about an hour after we were seated - yes, an hour - but by this time our savage hunger had been tamed with the prior snacks and tapas and we were borderline beginning to feel full.

In the end, our hungry-eyes got the best of our stomachs and we were unable to finish our meal. So no desserts were sampled in this visit. Shame, since at this time, our waiter began to have a little more time to help us out and was definitely giving us more attention. Thanks, but no thanks.

Bill was on the pricey side, but I thought was fair given all we ordered and the creativity in the plates. I've had meals at haute cousine restaurants with a thousand year-old structure shipped in from some remote locale in Europe and at hole in the wall places with graffiti on the wall - I do not discriminate a place for it's location, as long as the food is delicious, I am happy. If this place turns you off because it's in an unassuming strip mall in suburban Virginia - it's on you and honestly, you're missing out. Kudos to the chef for creativity, though it may not be for everyone.

We hope to go back and discover a 'slow night' so we can really dive into the menu and try other items.

Sterling, Virginia
“Fabulous Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Went there on the 19th celebrate a birthday with my 5 friends. Of course we made reservations - thank goodness because it was packed. It's a small restaurant that has a big following so reservations are almost always needed. It's a little loud inside, but I'm getting used to that in restaurant design these days.

The food was wonderful. My friends could not stop raving about the eggs benedict. I had the omelet with goat cheese...mmm mmm good! You have got to try the orange ginger mimosa...a delicious refreshing start to the morning.

Definitely will go back again!