“Wonderful hotel at reasonable price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Charlestown, Ireland
“Wonderful hotel at reasonable price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Although the rooms are a bit small, the room is immaculate with super comfy beds. A wonderful addition not found at many Doubletrees is an executive lounge which provides a full breakfast and truly tasty hor d'oeuvres for those who either pay for the floor or are Diamond members. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. This is a great choice if you need to stay near Washington Dulles airport. It's also close to Dulles Town Center for shopping and dining options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ken H, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at the Doubletree hotel and for your kind words.
We look forward to being at your service when travel brings you back to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stayed for approximately a week while moving. Got a special to get the free breakfast per night.

Love the bed design and setup - was a very nice, quiet room.

Breakfast had a changing selection and an attentive staff. It seemed though the front desk person was more interested in continually giving me a slip of paper with hotel discounts.

I liked it overall - it just seemed like their wasn't a complete attention to the guest.

Room Tip: High floor, away from elevator. Choose a rate off of Double Tree's website for a breakfast incl...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Ken H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your most recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Sterling - Dulles Airport. I am glad you felt that our beds were comfortable and you enjoyed the design and set up. All the staff do care greatly about the guest experience, I must apologize if we did not come through for you with a complete attention to your needs. I will bring your comments to the team for review and look for ways to improve.
Hershey, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

As a HH Gold Member, I stay at a lot of properties. This hotel is exceptional! Due to my status I got upgraded to the 6th Floor (Executive Level). This floor is private (one can only access the floor via key access). The concierge lounge was exceptional. Laura; the conceirge attendant in the evening was extremely pleasant and accomodating. The appetizers, drinks, etc. were delicious and abundant. The lounge offerred a full extended continental breakfast in the morning. Everything was hot and fresh and I noticed that they constantly refreshed the food, (scrambled eggs, oatmeal, sausage, breakfast potatoes) in order to ensure that every guest had an exceptional experience. My room was absolutely beautiful! This was seriously one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in, in a very long time! Not only was the room exceptionally clean, but the furnishings were all new. The bed was extremely comfortable. My room had 2 rooms and 2 pairs of slippers! The bathroom amenties included Crabtree and Eveyln soaps, shampoos, etc. This was not that smelly "grandma" perfume scent that Hilton properties used to offer. Rather, this was the "Citron", refreshing citrus / lemon scent that was pleasing and enjoyable to use. I ordered room service one night and the food and service was exceptional. The high speed internet access was wonderful! I don't have any complaints. The only complaint I have was I wished I was able to stay longer. This was such a beautiful propertly. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Beverly at the front desk is a gem! I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ken H, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you very much for the kind words in your review. I am glad we were able to make your stay with us enjoyable. We look forward to being at your service again when your travel plans bring you back to our area.
Warren, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've never been disappointed at Doubletree Hotels. The rates at this hotel made me a little skeptical, but I was not disappointed when I discovered the same high quality that I'm used to at Double Tree!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ken H, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
I'm glad that we met your expectations of what a DoubleTree Hotel means for you. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent experience. We look forward to being at your service again if and when travel takes you back to our area.
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed one night after being on a European trip. We had purchased a Park, Stay and Fly package that included one night stay, parking for up to 14 days and complimentary breakfast buffet. We left our car on the front end and used the airport shuttle going and coming back. Everything went smoothly.
Our room was nice with big comfy bed and nice bathroom. It was clean and everything worked. The free WIFI was great. We had a really nice breakfast the next am with juice, eggs, breads, fruit, sausage, bacon, cereals and more. It was convenient and we were on our way home with a minimum of fuss.
Nice place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your most recent stay with us. I am glad to see that your experience was enjoyable. We hope to be at your service again in the future.
northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night, before an early morning flight out of Dulles Airport.

The staff members I encountered when checking in and checking out were pleasant in a rather anonymous, business-like way.

Room #412 was clean and comfortable and everything worked well, 'tho some of the furniture was looking a bit worse for wear, the desk in particular.

The bed was a bit softer than I like but nonetheless I slept soundly on it, perhaps because I was so tired.

Having a regular little refrigerator instead of a price-gouging minibar was a nice extra touch. Free wi-fi with excellent speed was also much appreciated.

Just a few cautionary notes for future guests:

Try to get an ODD numbered room on the back of the hotel; i.e. NOT facing Atlantic Avenue in front of the hotel. Apparently the rooms aren't all that sound-proof, because a few motorcycles that raced passed the hotel were jarringly loud.There was also some sort of bump in the road in front of the hotel: whenever a truck drove over it, the resulting sound resembled booming thunder. When I opened the curtains in the early morning, I was surprised to see that they're hadn't been a thunderstorm!

Keep in mind that this isn't precisely an airport hotel; the airport is over five miles from the airport. So if you're driving to the airport or taking the hotel shuttle, remember that the local roads are predictably clogged with traffic at certain times of day.

Room Tip: Avoid even-numbered rooms on the front of the hotel because of road noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Ken H, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for the review of your most recent stay with us. I was happy to see that you received a great level of guest service and did enjoy your guestroom. Also, thank you for bringing the condition of the guestroom furniture of your room to our attention in addition to the level of noise on a particular side of the building. We will be sure to take your feedbackinto consideration and take the necessary actions to assist guests who might experience an abnormal amount of noise. I do hope when traveling to our area again you will stay with us. Thank you again for your feedback.
Orange, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Where to start.... It is important to know that I am a HHonors Diamond member (100+ stays in 2012 alone!). I have a service animal that travels with me which IS fully disclosed in my HHonors account profile and includes a copy of her ID AND a note that states I travel with a service animal -- this is ADDITIONALLY confirmed when booking any/all rooms I stay in. Having an ID for her is NOT required by Federal or State laws, it is simply a courtesy I offer. See ada.gov for FAQ and laws.

When checking in, I was pleasantly greeted by a lady at the desk. I gave her my info and she pulled my reservation and room key with my room number that was in the 600s. As I was finishing the process I mentioned to the lady at the desk that I had my service animal with me and offered her ID accordingly. First, I was informed that I can't have a pet -- and it all went downhill from there! Then she asked what my condition was and what I needed a service animal for which is not only HIGHLY illegal but rude...do you ask a person in a wheelchair what they need a wheelchair for? -- of course not! She then accepted the ID and started calling frantically on a phone that was the furthest away from where I waited. A dozen calls later she finally had someone on the phone who gave her direction. She was new and it was obvious when she said that she didn't know how to handle service animals. I explained that there was nothing to handle at which point she argued with me that the hotel has a policy. Taking a photo copy of my service animal's ID she went to get the same manager who told her to move my room because of my service animal. The manager said there wasn't a problem, my room was even upgraded (which it wasn't, it was downgraded) and that they do not allow pets in the hotel and service animals are only allowed on the second floor.

My husband came in after 10-15 min and asked if there was a problem as check ins are usually 2 min. The manager then snubbed me and proceeded to talk to my husband as if I were an imbecile. After a few moments, both my husband and I trying to tell the staff that they were breaking the law we decided to just go to the room. Upon entering the room, it smelled like cigarettes and musty urine.

We went back down to registration and asked for a different room, the manager started arguing AGAIN with my husband and contradicted himself in a matter of 2 sentences regarding that the do not allow pets except for on the second floor and then that they only allow service animals. He continued arguing that the we were not being segregated and when my husband mentioned we were Diamond Members, he told him that "we" are not, only his spouse AND there was no information anywhere on my profile about my service animal. He BLATANTLY lied about even seeing the account when contradicting answers to my husband questions, for no other reason than to be a rude insufferable know-it-all. Way to go with the customer service!

I understand the hotels intentions to avoid possible extra cleaning (which they didn't do anyway) but I was outright shocked that I was publicly humiliated by this staff in front of other guests. Having a disability is hard enough, being forced into disclosing it in public to justify my needs was thoroughly and utterly embarrassing and wrong. This was the worst experience anyone in my position could hope to avoid.

To make the whole matter worse, HHonors customer service MANAGER via the phone told me they can enact such policies that I wasn't being segregated only limited to where the hotel allows pets, yes, pets.... Will SOMEONE PLEASE learn the FEDERAL ADA LAWS?! PLEASE! You can't tell an Asian or Latin or French man he can only stay on the tenth floor because thats the only place they are allowed to stay can you!?!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
Ken H, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Gypsy247,
I am extremely sorry for the undesired check in experience during your last stay. Please know that we take matters such as this very seriously and would love to speak with you further about the issue. Feel free to reach out to me directly at (703) 230-2570 so I may help.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Hampton Inn Dulles-Cascades
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington-Dulles International Airport
Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!