“Great staff and a very nice room”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Southside Virginia
“Great staff and a very nice room”
Reviewed November 1, 2009

My wife and I used this hotel as part of a "Park & Fly" arrangement in mid October.
The desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was nice, clean, and quiet.
Our experience using the hotel airport shuttle was positive and the breakfast was great.
Needless to say, we will stay there again when we need to fly from Dulles.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Tennessee
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Staff was mildly friendly, but not too warm. Cookies on desk were yummy and fresh. The room was very clean and the king size bed was extremely comfortable. Our teenager slept on the pull out which was already made up for him. This hotel is about 30 minutes out from Washington, DC & a good location if you are sightseeing in DC. However, it is a little difficult to find. The streets sort of zig zag back & forth and even our GPS thought it was somewhere else. The "heated" indoor pool was freezing, but the outdoor jacuzzi was pleasant although it could have been a little cleaner.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
South Carolina
Reviewed April 10, 2009

We wanted to stay somewhere in DC for the Cherry Blossom Festival that wouldn't break the bank, could accommodate a family of 5, and have a fridge. If you make reservations several months in advance, the rates are very decent (still escalate from the weekend to mid-week like all other hotels in area). We had a King Suite and ordered a roll-away for $10 extra. It was a little squeeze, but worked out well. We really enjoyed the "Central Air-conditioning" (no one complaining of freezing by the typical window air conditioner), Non-smoking, 2 TVs and a bedroom door.

The drive to the Vienna metro was about 20-30 minutes. From there it was about another 25 minutes to downtown DC. If you plan to go to DC on the metro during the week, make sure you arrive at the parking lot before 8am to get a spot, as the amount of parking available there has decreased. There is both and outdoor lot, as well as parking garage. The Udvar-Hazy Air & Space museum is only a few minutes drive and is wonderful (note parking rates are up to $15 now).

The breakfast at the hotel was wonderful. Hot breakfast items, my kids' favorite cereals, my favorite cappuccino. The rooms were well insulated. There was a grocery store a few minutes away, as well as a Friendly's restaurant that is family friendly (and has ice cream).

This is a great motel for a family to stay at for DC trip, if you don't mind a little bit of a commute. The only thing that could have improved our stay would have been an indoor swimming pool.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
San Antonio
Reviewed November 9, 2008

I LOVED LOVED LOVED this hotel. The welcome by the front desk was warm and courteous. The suite was clean, quiet and the bed oh-so-comfy. The morning breakfast was way better than any other complimentary breakfast I've had; fluffy waffles, bacon, biscuits, fruit, yogurt, oj, milk. We left each morning full and happy. The breakfast room is open 24/7, so you can help yourself to yogurt, fruit, cereal, tea, cocoa, coffee. There is a great little "mini store" in the lobby, and the even had the exact Soy Milk my son drinks, along with some tasty frozen dinners if you don't feel like getting out to eat. The staff was so helpful, and professional. We took the free shuttle each morning to catch the bus into DC, and arrived back each evening to the shuttle waiting for us. The man who ran the breakfast room was extraordinary. He did it all! Cooked, drove the shuttle bus and a host of other things. He was the best!!!! We LOVED this hotel and will stay again. Kind of spoiled now for anyplace else. VERY kid friendly. Flexible with late check out. We stayed 6 nights. It was AWESOME!!!

• Liked — EVERYTHING: Oh yes...fresh cookies EVERY DAY!!!
  • Disliked — It was all fantastic
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Spidermansgf
Virginia
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I'm staying here for three nights on business and arrived about three hours ago. In the last three hours, I have had multiple problems. I'm not an overly picky person but these are problems that directly concern me:

a) There's no room service and I plan to be working from my room for one full day plus evenings so I asked for menus of restaurants that deliver. There's not much for the light, healthy eater: Chinese and pizza.

b) The side exit I used to unload my car did not lock behind me. This is a security issue to which I alerted the front desk.

c) One of the reasons I chose this hotel was due to the good things I'd read about its fitness room because I'd planned to work out every day I'm here. Everything looked nice, however both the elliptical and the bike are broken. I was only able to use the treadmill. I wanted a cardio workout so I did not use the Bowflex and can't report on that.

d) The wireless internet access here is AWFUL. It is worse than my experiences in NYC, which you would expect to be awful. This is unacceptable for my business uses.

e) The front desk lent me an ethernet cord for wired access. It didn't work. I had to go ask for a second one and this time it worked. This is better though somewhat inconvenient.

d) My sink barely drains.

I don't know. Maybe I've gotten pickier over the years but it doesn't seem like too much to ask for these features to be in normal working order. The above problems, especially the fitness room and internet access, really hinder me. I'm seriously considering checking out first thing tomorrow and finding a hotel that is just easier to deal with overall.

All that said, when I arrived I was very pleased with the hotel's appearance. The exterior appearance is very cute and the downstairs lobby is nice. My room is spacious, clean, has ample electrical outlets, which can be a problem at some hotels, and has nice amenities. I'd read great things about this hotel and my first impressions matched up to expectations. It was only after I'd really tried to "live" here tonight that I discovered these problems.

Country Inn & Suites is off to a nice start but they have clearly have repairs to make before it's truly a livable situation for the average business traveler.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed August 14, 2008

We booked this hotel for one night before our flight back to UK. We arrived after midnight feeling tired and weary. The reception staff were very efficient and quick. We also wanted to check in on line for our flight the next day and that was easy as they allowed us to use the computer in the foyer. The room was enormous and spotless. The only thing this hotel did not have was a restaurant for an evening meal. As we had no car we had about a 20 minute walk through an industrial estate to get to the Holiday Inn which had a restaurant. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel. It's spotless, great staff, lovely breakfast and a shuttle to the airport.

• Liked — staff and breakfast
  • Disliked — No restaurant
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed July 12, 2008

This hotel is located near Dulles (5-10 minutes) and has a free Shuttle. The hotel is very clean and the rooms were great. Air conditioner worked very well. Beds were nice. It provided a desk and free high speed internet. It was quiet (my room faced out to the front of the hotel). Breakfast was a decent continental + meal. Better than some other hotels I have stayed at. The exercise room was small, but not crowded when I was there. The only negative is that there is nothing but a Burger King within walking distance. Had a bad experience at another Burger King, so I would never eat at another one. However, the desk staff provided me with 6-7 menus for restaurants that deliver. Had a great supreme pizza and like eating in my room. Plus, they have a refridgerator and microwave in the room!

• Liked — Cleanliness and closeness to Airport
  • Disliked — No really good restaurants nearby
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington-Dulles International Airport
Best Western Dulles Airport Inn
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
SpringHill Suites Dulles Airport

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport

Property: Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport
Address: 45620 Falke Plz, Sterling, VA 20166-9479
Location: United States > Virginia > Loudoun County > Sterling
#4 Business Hotel in Sterling
#5 Family Hotel in Sterling
#5 Romantic Hotel in Sterling
Hotel Class:3 star — Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Carlson, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Country Inn & Suites Washington-Dulles Int`l. Airport Hotel Sterling