“Great customer service”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Washington, Virginia
“Great customer service”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was the second time we've stayed at this extended stay hotel during relocations in the last decade. Both times, the customer service has been great. The hotel is basic; your average room with simple furnishings. All rooms have a small kitchen. They are also able to accommodate pets, which is very convenient. We opted for a two-bedroom corner unit with one bath and a kitchen. At a $109/night for a 30 day or more stay, you can't beat it.

Our experience: everyone at the front desk was extremely friendly and very accommodating (thank you Jesse, Erika, and Joseph for your hospitality). They have fresh-baked cookies and lemonade in the afternoons and throughout the evening, which my kids looked forward to every day after school. If they arrived and the cookies weren't ready yet, one of the front desk clerks would call our room to tell the kids to come down and get their cookies when they were ready. Breakfast in the morning is a grab and go, and we were satisfied with the selections (granola and cereal bars, cereal and milk, bagels, muffins, fruit, coffee and juice). The pool was open for part of our stay, and we used it a few times. The gym needs some work, but since we were relocating to the area, we joined Gold's Gym in the shopping center right behind the hotel and used that gym instead. The hotel keeps some sodas and basic food items available for purchase, but again, there is a shopping center within walking distance with a Giant and plenty of restaurants in the area.

My only complaint, the hotel is noisy (including us being noisy). You can hear your neighbors' TVs, noise from the parking lot, etc. However, most people are considerate of one another since many are traveling business men and families moving to the area. If I had to stay long-term somewhere in this area again, I would definitely stay here...you can't beat the price or the friendliness of the staff.

Room Tip: Corner units are two-bedrooms and one bath with a kitchen; much more comfortable for families.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The interior of my room was HORRIBLE. Not only was I next to the Water Heater Room which constantly made noise but the guest room was old and you could see the age all over. Lets start out by the peeling paint around the bathroom light switch. When you replace the face plate I would replace it with the same color as the light switch but in my bathroom they used a biscuit color face plate for a white light switch, but what made it worse was the paint around the plate was all peeling. The carpet in the room was not clean so I would not walk barefoot which I like to do at home. When I rent a room in a hotel for $100+ I like to think the room is cleaner than my house...not in this case...
Dear Hotel Manager, I'm in the hotel business and I can tell you as a road warrior salesman....you need a full guestroom upgrade or PIP....

Room Tip: make sure you don't have bed bugs in the room. I was on the 1st floor and was fine but my boss w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 24, 2013

TownePlace Suites Sterling Dulles North has major customer service issues. I made a reservation for one of my travelers through a 3rd party website and paid in full- my guest had to show her personal credit card upon check-in for incidentals- no problem this was expected...what wasn't expected is that upon check-out the hotel would charge her card for the full length of stay even though I had paid in full on-line. My traveler now has incurred over $150 worth of bank fees due to this unexpected charge. I have contacted the hotel every day for a week and the General Managers has yet to respond. I spoke to 2 different males at the front desk who were very disrespectful and at one point told me they would not give my message to the GM. What a disgrace to the Marriott reputation!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nikki B
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were booked here for two weeks, in order to deal with a death in the family. First, we were directed to another Towne Place Suites in the area, which is apparently common, since this one doesn't seem to be on any GPS map system. The place is looking a little down at the heels, with crackling paint and rust and a non-functional small pool. Our stay was deeply affected by the lack of reliable internet for the first 12 days, despite a desk sign raving about their lightning fast internet.
The room was quite small. The kitchen was undersupplied--no sharp knife, no frying pan, etc. The stove was only partly functional, and the temps were rubbed off the oven dial. Maid service was erratic, coming anywhere from 0830 to 1645, and often neglecting such things as sweeping and resupplying soaps. The laundry room was suitable, except for the out of order soap vending machine. Breakfasts were minimal. When our toilet clogged, I was given a plunger, instead of service.
The only positive was the attitude of the staff. They were friendly and apologetic, as if the place was in the early phases of renovation. I hope that's true. As it stands, this place is an insult to the Marriott name.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ralphalpha
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Realistically: a 3.5. Rooms were clean, front desk was friendly and helpful. They gave us some information on the surrounding area, which was appreciated. Breakfast was a bit of a bust -- it was okay but there were a lot of bread/wheat options which wasn't convenient for the person in our party who is gluten intolerant. We had a two bedroom suite, assuming it would have 2 bathrooms as every other double room I've been in had 2, only to find that this location has 1 bathroom. We had 5 people staying in the room so it was a bit inconvenient to say the least. Price was decent for the size of the room and location. You're not far from the airport or the metro station, honestly. But I've stayed in better TownePlace Suites locations!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed June 29, 2013

When we were searching for this hotel, I was surprised to find it amongt apartment homes. This hotel fit right in and the grounds and accommodations were very "apartment-like". I had a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite and it was very comfortable. One bathroom had a large glass shower while the other bathroom had a tub/shower combo. Both rooms had queen beds and lots of drawer/closet space. The grounds had a nice pool and barbeque area. I was jealous of the group grilling out! Breakfast was very good. Staff were friendly and suggested dining options. I would definitely stay here again if my travel takes me to Dulles Airport.

Room Tip: I chose a second floor room, but if you have lots of luggage- which I did- I would recommend the a f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while taking a visit to DC for 3 days. We were a lil ways from the city but we didn't have no problem taken the metro in Vienna to go to the city ( much easier and not bad for the price of parking and fare!) This hotel is very clean and housekeeping was wonderful. Breakfast was just right for me because I'm not much of a morning person to get up and eat so the grad and go was perfect! Only thing I would ask to be update is the exercise room. The one treadmill is very loud and sounds like its bout to explode, but other then that it was a nice clean hotel with the feeling of being at home with a full kitchen and grocery store right next door. That saves alot when your on a budget and can't afford to eat out all the time! Great Job!

Room Tip: Room's facing towards the parking lot I think is a better view personally.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Hampton Inn Dulles-Cascades
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling
Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Courtyard Dulles Town Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles? Share your experiences!