“The Place Needs Work!”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Edmonds, Washington
“The Place Needs Work!”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were booked here for two weeks, in order to deal with a death in the family. First, we were directed to another Towne Place Suites in the area, which is apparently common, since this one doesn't seem to be on any GPS map system. The place is looking a little down at the heels, with crackling paint and rust and a non-functional small pool. Our stay was deeply affected by the lack of reliable internet for the first 12 days, despite a desk sign raving about their lightning fast internet.
The room was quite small. The kitchen was undersupplied--no sharp knife, no frying pan, etc. The stove was only partly functional, and the temps were rubbed off the oven dial. Maid service was erratic, coming anywhere from 0830 to 1645, and often neglecting such things as sweeping and resupplying soaps. The laundry room was suitable, except for the out of order soap vending machine. Breakfasts were minimal. When our toilet clogged, I was given a plunger, instead of service.
The only positive was the attitude of the staff. They were friendly and apologetic, as if the place was in the early phases of renovation. I hope that's true. As it stands, this place is an insult to the Marriott name.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ralphalpha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Realistically: a 3.5. Rooms were clean, front desk was friendly and helpful. They gave us some information on the surrounding area, which was appreciated. Breakfast was a bit of a bust -- it was okay but there were a lot of bread/wheat options which wasn't convenient for the person in our party who is gluten intolerant. We had a two bedroom suite, assuming it would have 2 bathrooms as every other double room I've been in had 2, only to find that this location has 1 bathroom. We had 5 people staying in the room so it was a bit inconvenient to say the least. Price was decent for the size of the room and location. You're not far from the airport or the metro station, honestly. But I've stayed in better TownePlace Suites locations!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed June 29, 2013

When we were searching for this hotel, I was surprised to find it amongt apartment homes. This hotel fit right in and the grounds and accommodations were very "apartment-like". I had a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite and it was very comfortable. One bathroom had a large glass shower while the other bathroom had a tub/shower combo. Both rooms had queen beds and lots of drawer/closet space. The grounds had a nice pool and barbeque area. I was jealous of the group grilling out! Breakfast was very good. Staff were friendly and suggested dining options. I would definitely stay here again if my travel takes me to Dulles Airport.

Room Tip: I chose a second floor room, but if you have lots of luggage- which I did- I would recommend the a f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while taking a visit to DC for 3 days. We were a lil ways from the city but we didn't have no problem taken the metro in Vienna to go to the city ( much easier and not bad for the price of parking and fare!) This hotel is very clean and housekeeping was wonderful. Breakfast was just right for me because I'm not much of a morning person to get up and eat so the grad and go was perfect! Only thing I would ask to be update is the exercise room. The one treadmill is very loud and sounds like its bout to explode, but other then that it was a nice clean hotel with the feeling of being at home with a full kitchen and grocery store right next door. That saves alot when your on a budget and can't afford to eat out all the time! Great Job!

Room Tip: Room's facing towards the parking lot I think is a better view personally.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

All in all this hotel does Marriott proud. I had (and have) no idea of how TownPlace Suites are positioned by Marriott compared to regular Residence facilities, but my experience was very positive.

On arrival the check-in was brisk and informative. All staff were friendly and helpful, and the hotel was just what I needed for my stay; a clean, safe and no-nonsense place to lay my family's heads, for a night's stopover between flights to/from Dulles airport.

The only slight negative was that the transfer bus from the airport wasn't clearly marked in the way I had been told to expect, but in the event the drivers seemed to come looking for their clients, and all ended well after a little confusion.

Other than that all very good indeed.

Summary:

+ well located for Dulles airport
+ bang on time bus transfers to and from Dulles
+ spacious and well-equipped rooms
+ great check-in experience
+ friendly and helpful staff
+ clean and well maintained suite

- slightly confusing airport transfer pick up service

Key question: under similar circumstances would I stay here again.

Answer: Definitely

• Stayed March 2013
New Hudson, Michigan
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Not what I expected from a Marriott property. The property is out of date, the halls are dark and there is absolutely no sound proofing between suites. I had the misfortune to be next to someone who watched tv all night and heard every word of the show.
The hotel advertises free breakfast, this was a joke. The lobby does not have a single seat and the breakfast that was offered was "grab and go".

All and all I wish I had read reviews before staying at this property and will not be returning in the future.

• Stayed January 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I'm happy with the stay here. This place is not fancy, the rooms are really outdated, but it is well maintained and clean. Serves the purpose of a hotel room.

The hotel is in a great location! I'd give 5 stars for the location alone.

The reason why I'm giving it only 3 stars is because the rooms are really small - bed is just 2 feet away from the kitchen - so if you cook something, then be prepared to smell it even when you sleep. Also, there aren't enough utensils in the kitchen. The toaster didn't work well with us - when we tried to toast bread, the fire alarm went off. I'd not complain about this if it hadn't happened twice. The bed isn't great either, it is too bouncy.

Overall I'm happy, and don't mind coming back if I can get a good price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Hampton Inn Dulles-Cascades
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling
Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport
Courtyard Dulles Town Center

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles? Share your experiences!